Skyrim Castle MOD WIP

kane4355

File Management  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to download:

I wanted to take this time to show a work in progress. The great hallways lacking something and the Windhelm palace didn't have enough vanilla static to be able to create the great hall the way i wanted to. So i had to cut a few corners (literally) and what i used would not line up right or just didn't look right to me. so, MrNivellen has been working on a a solution for me and i have to say it works. below is a picture of his work in progress and i cannot wait to see how it turns out textured. all the second floors in the great hall will have this ballast.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the following post,

a=lod level: x=x coord: y=y coord

You don't have to include all the Tamriel.a.x.y.bto object LOD mesh files, only the ones that have alterations in them.

Your lod levels (a) come in four levels -

Level 4 - a 16 cell block arranged 4x4. Used ingame

Level 8 - a 64 cell block arranged 8x8. Used ingame

Level 16 - a 256 cell block arranged 16x16. Used ingame

Level 32 - a 1024 cell block arranged 32x32. Not used ingame - for map only.

What you have to do is work out what files you need for your mod.

For level 4 you need the file that has the coordinates that begin with the divisible by 4 number, below (less than) your cell number.

Example 1

If your mod is in cell (15,11). From the above method, you only need the level 4 mesh file associated with Tamriel.4.12.8. -

Tamriel.4.12.8.bto

The mesh for Tamriel.4.12.8 covers the area Tamriel.4.(12 to 15).(8 to 11). As you can see, your coordinates are included in that area.

The level 8 files work the same, so you look for the divisible by 8 number below (less than) your cell coordinates. In this case, you would need the file Tamriel.8.8.8 or a better way to look at it is Tamriel.8.(8 to 15).(8 to 15).

For level 16, you would need the file Tamriel.16.0.0 or

Tamriel.0.(0 to 15).(0 to 15)

I hope this is making sense.

Sometimes your mod might pass over a lod level border. In this case, you would include 2 .bto files.

Example 2

If your mod starts in cell (15,11) and extends into (16,11) From the above method, you would need all the files from example 1, but these only cover the lod in area up to x coord 15.

(at this point...no more colours...you get the idea)

Using the same method, you would work out that you also need all the files for

Tamriel.4.16.8.

Tamriel.8.16.8.

Tamriel.16.16.8.

Therefore, your mod only needs 6 files for the object lod for a mod that spanned (15,11) to (16,11).

So far so good.

For some folk, things get a little can get a little confusing when their mod is in a cell with a negative value. If our example was in (-15,-11) then the numbers change a little.

You still use the same method as above, but where folk get confused is working out the mesh numbers that contains the information that they need.

We can't just use the same tiles in example 1 and put a minus sign in front, because those tiles have a higher number, not a lower number. (-12 is higher than -15, not lower)

The easy way I do it is think of them as a positve cell and go to th next higher number that's divisible by 4, 8 or 16 (depending on lod level you're looking for), then put a minus in front the results.

So for in Tamriel (-15,-11) level 4 lod, you would need -

Tamriel.4.-16.-12.bto

or the other way to look at it is -

Tamriel.4.(-16 to -12).(-12 to -8 ).bto

The other two files needed would be

Tamriel.8.-16.-16.bto

Tamriel.16.-16.-16.bto

Lastly, work out what level 32 mesh you need (for map) and include it as well

Summary

Just work out exactly what files you need, and include them with your mod. You definately don't need the whole of Tamriel.

[Edit]

My original post here was for terrain files. I forgot that it was object LOD that kane4355 mentioned.

However, the same logic applies if you alter the terrain (.btr) files and those must include the .dds files.

it is for landscape, object, and trees. so this does help me however, the object textures files are in two seperate files: Tamriel.Objects.DDS, and Tamriel.Objects_n.DDS. would i still need these or can the vanilla ones be used? and will i need the same for the trees? i have added some in, removed some, moved some around etc....

i think i have down what you are saying , i think. i am still a bit lost but bare with me: so for each level i should only need to include the cells i need, but those cells will only fall under the files that are divisible by their LOD level? i have made some landscape modifications for two sets of raods leading from either side of the castle, one on the north side and one on the southeast side of the mountain. right after the farms is a road that leads up to the northwest from the road leaving north from whiterun.

I have a main size of my castle from -2, 12 to 2, 7 but that doesnt include landscape edits for the surrounding cells and doesnt include the road cells.

Castle cells to include landscape edits are: the upper left corner is -3,12, upper right corner 4,12, lower left corner -3,6, lower right corner 4,6.

the roads are in cell's:

4, 13

5, 12

5, 13

6, 13

6, 12

6, 14

7, 12

7, 13

7, 14

4, 5

5, 6

5, 5

5, 4

6, 4

6, 5

6, 6

7, 5

7, 4

8, 4

8, 5

so if i get this right.. the only files i will need for 4 is -4, 0, 4, 8, 12, 16. for 8 i will need -8, 0, 8, 16. and for 16 i will need -16, 0, 16. correct?

specifically which ones i need i am kinda stuck at....

...the object textures files are in two seperate files: Tamriel.Objects.DDS, and Tamriel.Objects_n.DDS. would i still need these or can the vanilla ones be used? and will i need the same for the trees? i have added some in, removed some, moved some around etc....

Usually the exact same texture atlas is generated, if all the object are vanilla (no custom objects with custom textures. I usually just put the .bto files in themselves and see if the lod turns out OK without using the texture atlas that's generated. If it is OK, then you don't need to add those two files.

If the lod looks weird ingame, add the 2 texture atlas .dds files.

...so for each level i should only need to include the cells i need, but those cells will only fall under the files that are divisible by their LOD level?...

That's correct. Just work out what lod files will have the coordinates that you have altered, in them. Even make a block diagram on paper, if it helps.

For working out what terrain meshes and textures, go to the 4 corners that cover the extent of your alterations and include the .btr that cover the whole area. You will also need to include their associated .dds files ( two .dds files for each .btr file)

Object LOD

Just looking at you post, it looks like the object lod files you require are -

Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

Tamriel.4.0.8.bto

Tamriel.4.0.12.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.4.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.8.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.12.bto

Tamriel.8.0.0.bto

Tamriel.8.0.8.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.0.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.8.bto

Tamriel.16.0.0.bto

Tamriel.16.-16.0.bto

Tamriel.32.-32.0.bto

Tamriel.32.0.0.bto

Terrain LOD

...Castle cells to include landscape edits are: the upper left corner is -3,12, upper right corner 4,12, lower left corner -3,6, lower right corner 4,6...

Going by that information, you would need these files and their associated texture files -

Tamriel.4.-4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.12.btr

Tamriel.4.0.4.btr

Tamriel.4.0.8.btr

Tamriel.4.0.12.btr

Tamriel.4.4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.4.12.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.0.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.8.btr

Tamriel.8.0.0.btr

Tamriel.8.0.8.btr

Tamriel.16.-16.0.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

...the roads are in cell's...

Lets take the rest a section at a time. These cells -

4, 13

5, 12

5, 13

6, 13

6, 12

6, 14

7, 12

7, 13

7, 14

would need -

Tamriel.4.4.12.btr

Tamriel.8.0.8.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

Tamriel.32.0.0.btr

and their associated textures.

These cells -

4, 5

5, 6

5, 5

5, 4

6, 4

6, 5

6, 6

7, 5

7, 4

8, 4

8, 5

would need -

Tamriel.4.4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.8.4.btr

Tamriel.8.0.0.btr

Tamriel.8.8.0.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

Tamriel.32.0.0.btr

and their associated textures.

Some of the files are duplicated in the different sections, but you can sort the list and use it to copy the files you'll need.

You can also see from the lists above that

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

Tamriel.32.0.0.btr

are common in both lists and it's these files that cover a large area that cause a bit of a dillema for folk who download and use the mods.

If the user has several mods that have object LOD in the local area, your files are going to overwrite them, and vice versa. This will result in the LOD disappearing for some mods (usually the earliest installed).

This is out of your control. If someone complains about your statics being invisible, then suddenly appearing,...chances are,...they have overwritten your LOD files.

Edited by Tamb0

Ok sorry I havent replied in a while, I have been busy with work and also trying to get questing, and Skyrim Monster Mod working with my momd. Anywho, something I noticed about the numbers you showed me. i understand the 32 level is only needed for terrain and not the objects, but the numbers dont match up.

first off there is only 6 level 4's for object

Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

Tamriel.4.0.8.bto

Tamriel.4.0.12.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.4.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.8.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.12.bto

Tamriel.8.0.0.bto

Tamriel.8.0.8.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.0.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.8.bto

Tamriel.16.0.0.bto

Tamriel.16.-16.0.bto

Tamriel.32.-32.0.bto

Tamriel.32.0.0.bto

and 9 level 4's for terrain. is there a specific reason why or did you miss some? just curious.

Terrain LOD

Tamriel.4.-4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.12.btr

Tamriel.4.0.4.btr

Tamriel.4.0.8.btr

Tamriel.4.0.12.btr

Tamriel.4.4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.4.12.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.0.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.8.btr

Tamriel.8.0.0.btr

Tamriel.8.0.8.btr

Tamriel.16.-16.0.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

...first off there is only 6 level 4's for object...

...and 9 level 4's for terrain. is there a specific reason why or did you miss some? just curious.

Your road edits extend further than your objects, so more meshes are needed.

...something I noticed about the numbers you showed me. i understand the 32 level is only needed for terrain and not the objects, but the numbers dont match up...

You're right. I got a bit mixed up trying to read your post and figure out all the cells for LOD.

Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

Tamriel.4.0.8.bto

Tamriel.4.0.12.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.4.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.8.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.12.bto

Tamriel.8.0.0.bto

Tamriel.8.0.8.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.0.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.8.bto

Tamriel.16.0.0.bto

Tamriel.16.-16.0.bto

Tamriel.32.-32.0.bto

Tamriel.32.0.0.bto

These should be terrain files and be taken from the object LOD list

Your terrain list will now look like this -

Tamriel.4.-4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.12.btr

Tamriel.4.0.4.btr

Tamriel.4.0.8.btr

Tamriel.4.0.12.btr

Tamriel.4.4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.4.12.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.0.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.8.btr

Tamriel.8.0.0.btr

Tamriel.8.0.8.btr

Tamriel.16.-16.0.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

Tamriel.32.-32.0.btr

Tamriel.32.0.0.btr

Edited by Tamb0

I know I haven't updated this in a while. Ever since i got the LOD finished and worked out i began work on questing. I was able to get Dogtown1's permission to use his monster mod to populate some of the dungeons in my mod. reluctant to say, if you want to experience the full force of the quest you will need to download skyrim monster mod. i am prollie about 50% done with the quest and once done I will post for minor beta tests.

Unfortunately the work on the navmeshing had to stop and I am looking for someone new who can do navmeshing. The person I had working on it had some technical difficulties with his computer and is unable to continue. I do not have the time to begin that work or even begin to understand it. I still have optimization to work out on top of this too. so if anyone is looking for some work and knows navmesh, please message me.

...first off there is only 6 level 4's for object...

...and 9 level 4's for terrain. is there a specific reason why or did you miss some? just curious.

Your road edits extend further than your objects, so more meshes are needed.

...something I noticed about the numbers you showed me. i understand the 32 level is only needed for terrain and not the objects, but the numbers dont match up...

You're right. I got a bit mixed up trying to read your post and figure out all the cells for LOD.

Tamriel.4.0.4.bto

Tamriel.4.0.8.bto

Tamriel.4.0.12.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.4.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.8.bto

Tamriel.4.-4.12.bto

Tamriel.8.0.0.bto

Tamriel.8.0.8.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.0.bto

Tamriel.8.-8.8.bto

Tamriel.16.0.0.bto

Tamriel.16.-16.0.bto

Tamriel.32.-32.0.bto

Tamriel.32.0.0.bto

These should be terrain files and be taken from the object LOD list

Your terrain list will now look like this -

Tamriel.4.-4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.-4.12.btr

Tamriel.4.0.4.btr

Tamriel.4.0.8.btr

Tamriel.4.0.12.btr

Tamriel.4.4.4.btr

Tamriel.4.4.8.btr

Tamriel.4.4.12.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.0.btr

Tamriel.8.-8.8.btr

Tamriel.8.0.0.btr

Tamriel.8.0.8.btr

Tamriel.16.-16.0.btr

Tamriel.16.0.0.btr

Tamriel.32.-32.0.btr

Tamriel.32.0.0.btr

Tambo, thank you for your help with the LOD. it definately helped with size.

head ache after head ache... just when i think i understand something and I am on a role, something kicks me in the ass and keeps me coming back and second guessing.

I am having issues with actors reacting well with how I am putting them into the game all together. I have in two instances, some bullvores (dogtown1's monster), of either type implemented and linked reference to patrol idle markers and then parent activation to a activation trigger box. at first they did not work, they did not appear and i thought it was an issue. I couldnt figure it out and then one test they ended up appearing and they were fine. So i thought something i did fixed it. I stopped messing with them and then moved on but on the next test, they were gone again! Not only that but the same issue is happening with wraith's (dogtown1), necro skeletons (dogtown1), and even some vanilla draugr. I have the necros and wraiths referenced to a sarcaphogus and trying to get them to pop in just like the dragon priests. they too are not appearing but the activators are popping the lids open but not them. I added quest markers to the Bullvores as objectives to be killed. when i tested it, the markers populated. however they were off the grid. When i ran a TCL console command and floated around, they were out in the void, way out of my reach to see, at the bottom of the void. i couldnt get to them, the closer i got it reset me to the coc marker. it also seemed the bullvores attacked and killed the wraith and necro skeleton and their ashes reset at the coc marker as well. also, the first bullvore's objective marker appears as soon as you enter the game, into the void but he isnt supposed to appear until later on. the setobjective is set to a quest stage way beyond what i was at. the wraith and necroskeleton both have the masterambush script and im using the default info for those. the draugr priests are somewhat working fine. they are not interacting well with ambushing up at the right moment but i can deal with that, at least they appear in game. they dont ambush out of the sarcophagus like dragon priests do and their linked the same way. most of them actually are already spawned as soon as i enter a room marker, which is really weird. some of them have a thrall accompanying them and those thrall, attached to the same activator are ambushing before they are supposed to as well. i cannot figure it out. I have messed with parent activation only and everything. It is just not making any sense.

i recently applied room markers and portal markers to the cell to improve performance. but the issue with the draugr priest persisted before i did this. anyone care to give me some ideas? yet again why it sucks i am the only one doing this.

it is almost as if the activators are set to go off as soon as the player enters a room and for some as soon as the player enters the cell.

Edited by kane4355