So I haven't bought a single thing from the Creation Club... but I have all their assets... (and so do you probaly.)

falloutkid12

@XxUNAFFILIATEDxX, @dikr

If you don't upload the required assets, and just upload an .esp file using them then there is nothing Bethesda can do. You wouldn't need to upload them anyway, everybody has them.

But not everybody has the license to use these assets. I think they absolutely could pull some "license violation" stuff out of their a$$es. Maybe they have a patent on the usage of these specific files, it's 'murica, after all.

And even if not: would YOU risk getting sued by a corporation? Well, they couldn't do anything against you, but they could totally destroy Nexus if they really wanted to.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@XxUNAFFILIATEDxX, @dikr

If you don't upload the required assets, and just upload an .esp file using them then there is nothing Bethesda can do. You wouldn't need to upload them anyway, everybody has them.

But not everybody has the license to use these assets. I think they absolutely could pull some "license violation" stuff out of their a$$es. Maybe they have a patent on the usage of these specific files, it's 'murica, after all.

And even if not: would YOU risk getting sued by a corporation? Well, they couldn't do anything against you, but they could totally destroy Nexus if they really wanted to.

Wouldn't the esp that we create be property of bethesda? I mean they would sue themselves then because every mod made with their tools is their property we have no ownership whatsoever.

@XxUNAFFILIATEDxX, @dikr

Nobody's going to get sued over it, without having a warning to take down the content first. If anything, it's an issue with providing a tool that's meant to be used to redistribute content that's meant for retail purposes only. Worse case is that Nexus will say, "Hey, take that down." or they'll just do it themselves. If they DON'T take it down, then it'll become a problem.

I never implied individuals would get sued. My only concern is the Nexus and losing the talent again. Another interesting thing about this is that if they continue to add the new content in patches, the F4SE will be unable to keep up, requiring constant updating. Might be them trying to keep the third party stuff down so more people give up and embrace the CC.

Edited by XxUNAFFILIATEDxX

this does not bode well for solid state drives, which are already pretty small, hell windows 10 and a few hundred mods and my ssd is almost full already.

so looks we are going to have to always play in offline mode,

Fallout 4 - updates - only update when i launch this game

then only play fallout 4 in offline mode

This is my concern (I mentioned it in a different topic here on Nexus as well). I currently use a 250GB SSD. It was either this, or get a larger, but slower HDD when I got my new rig, and frankly, I wanted the speed of the SSD.

Honestly, 250GB is fine for me until I can afford an additional drive, but that's because I'm very careful of how much stuff I install.

Obviously, I use mods (which is why I'm on Nexus), but that's the thing, I only install the mods I'm going to use, and even keep that to a reasonable number. I really can't afford for space to be taken up by stuff I have no intention of using. I'm just not the type to have stuff on my drive I'm not using even if I could afford the space.

I really hope the assets for every mod to go on Creation Club isn't going to be preloaded onto my rig, because I just can't afford the space for that, and won't be able to have Fallout 4 (you know, the game I paid money for) installed on my system.

I think this has to be a glitch on Bethesda's part. There's no way they want to give us all the assets for these mods. It's just begging for them to be pirated. And as some have said, if we got all the assets for every CC mod, the realities of hard drive space would force many of us to uninstall Fallout 4 pretty soon, which means we obviously won't be buying from the CC. Bethesda's stupid enough to have a buggy af launch. They're not stupid enough to do this intentionally.

"They gave everyone the assets for free didn't they? They are sitting in unencrypted standard .ba2 files. It would be perfectly legal to write an .esp or .esl file of your own to activate content everyone already has and share it to the modding site of your choice right? Heck, just put it right up on Bethesda.net"

xnef1025 2017

As long as no one upload assets, xnef1025 may be right, and this may possibly be perfectly legal to do?!?

So If this was not a buggy launch it may possibly be a very dumb one. :laugh:

No, Dark0ne wrote the following in the Mod Author's thread: "CC content should be treated like their DLC content (e.g. safe to mod) provided it is held to the same standard as current mods for current DLC (e.g. you must require the DLC to be owned by the user before it's usable as a mod)."

So you need to ensure that the users have actually purchased the CC mods (e.g. use a script check for the presence of the esp/esl file) that you are modding and uploading. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from making private mods for your own personal use using the CC assets.

this does not bode well for solid state drives, which are already pretty small, hell windows 10 and a few hundred mods and my ssd is almost full already.

I think this has to be a glitch on Bethesda's part. There's no way they want to give us all the assets for these mods. It's just begging for them to be pirated. And as some have said, if we got all the assets for every CC mod, the realities of hard drive space would force many of us to uninstall Fallout 4 pretty soon, which means we obviously won't be buying from the CC. Bethesda's stupid enough to have a buggy af launch. They're not stupid enough to do this intentionally.

It's the only way Bethesda can provide the new scripts, meshes and textures to PS4 users.

It's the only way Bethesda can provide the new scripts, meshes and textures to PS4 users.

Then do a check for the system and only dump the files on PS4. Poor PS4 players again they get screwed. Most of those consoles have less space than us PC users do. This is not the way to give mods to PS4. Bethesda needs to really push on the Sony door more or drop this stupid attempt.

Why should I house those files. So what if I can use tools to unpack them and make my own. I do not want the files period on my storage space. I never even put Bethesda.net in my main menus to my games as I did not want that either.

its possible, this type of practice has definitely been done before, where gaming companies would have their dlc already on your computer, but it would just be locked until you buy it, borderlands is 1 such game. this was most definitely a mistake, but it could be possible in how they are going to do it. (by this i mean the content is already on your computer, only it will be locked)

But that was actually a waaay different situation. While Borderlands has a fair bit of DLC, there's an upper limit on how much there could be; Gearbox wasn't going to make a couple dozen pieces of DLC. (When they did make a couple dozen pieces for BL2, they changed practices.) But there's no upper limit on the CC; If it has even a tenth as many mods as the Nexus, it'll have over 2000 ... creations? (What are we calling them?) If they are roughly 60MB each that's a 120 GBs. That's the size of some SSDs.

That's like saying the only way they could provide Far Harbor to PS4 users is by installing its Ba2s on every PS4 harddrive. Sony's issue wasn't that users caused new content to appear on their console when they pressed a button--in that case they'd have issues with every digital download and DLC ever. No, Sony wouldn't allow mods because they didn't want to users to be able to *post* content that wasn't curated in some way. And Bethesda didn't want to curate it without making a profit off it. Bethesda *is* curating this and is pitching it as "mini-DLC." So there's no reason the CC would require that every mod be downloaded onto every PS4. But even if it were, they could just institute a system check (as someone said above). And if they couldn't, then f*ck PS4. Just chalk it up to Sony being Sony. Honestly, with the size of console hard drives, I think most PS4 owners would rather not have the CC at all than have it take up their entire hard drive.

Edited by RS13