Help with modding Creation Club items

crawe1x

Just tried kingtobbe's suggestion, and it does indeed seem to work. :thumbsup:

I haven't tested it in-game yet, but I did make a copy of the Handmade Shotgun .esl, renamed it and changed it to an .esp, and then dropped it into my Data folder. I could open it using FOEdit no problem. Got a few error messages littering FOEdit: <Error: No strings file for lstring ID 000000XX>. Not sure if this is a major problem, but at a glance, I think this could work.

Okay, so this is what I discovered.

First, I copied ccfrsfo4001-handmadeshotgun.esl and renamed it ccfrsfo4001-handmadeshotgunME.esp.

I opened it up in FO4Edit and raised the damage file in all the different weapon entries (half a dozen or so if I recall) from 45 to 120.

From here, I loaded up the game, but the damage value hadn't changed.

This would seem to prove BigAndFlabby's point in the other thread: the .esl files are reserved for the 254/255 load order slots. So my modded .esp file was losing out to Beth's original .esl file, which was being loaded up after.

Next, I cut Beth's original .esl file out of my Data folder and pasted it onto my desktop. I renamed my modded .esp file to ccfrsfo4001-handmadeshotgun.esl. In other words, it now had the exact same name as Beth's file.

I then loaded the game up and my changes to the damage values instantly showed up.

So yes, it seems that you CAN change Beth's .esl file into an .esp file simply by renaming the file extension. You can then edit that .esp in FO4 as normal. And then you can rename the modded .esp, turning it back into an .esl.

Edited by crawe1x