So, When Creation Club Gets Around to Skyrim...

LeddBate

Creation Club for FO4 Poll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. When you saw the offerings on the Creation Club for FO4, your response was.... (Pick any number of responses that most mirrors your reaction.)

• "AIIEEEE!" (Pulls eyes out and drops them into a vat of holy acid.)
    • "What the (deleted) is this (deleted)! What the (deleted) were those (deleted) (deleted) (deleted) thinking?!? (deleted)! (deleted)! (deleted)! (deleted)!"
    • "I TOLD you! What did I tell you would happen? Huh? Huh? Go on, WHAT did I say was going to happen?! For all you believers, here's your plate of crow. Enjoy." Full Disclosure: I (leddBate) was one of the believers.
    • "They can fix this. They can pull this out of the fire. Maybe. I don't know how but... maybe."
    • "Whine, whine, whine. Complain, complain, complain. Stop being such grump-meisters. Give Bethesda a chance to do better. It's early days yet."
    • "Meh. So what?"
    • "Eh, a bit pricey but whatever... That can change later."
    • OMG! This will eventually clog my drive and probably wreck my save game!

YongYea has also been posting videos on Creation Club (well, really, who hasn't lately?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaHNIoQ7uQ

This one features Pete Hines' responses when grilled about the Creation Club on Twitter. Oh, man. This guy either doesn't have a clue or simply has the biggest pair of blinders on. When a poster asked why he should pay for CC mods when he could download the exact same mods for free, Pete responded: "It's not the same thing. They don't work the same as paid mods." What. The. (this word has been removed in the interest of young ears everywhere)!? Apparently, Pete believes that if the mod, pardon -"mini-DLC" or "content" is made by a modder, pardon -"creator" and hosted by the Creation Club, it is not, in fact, a "mod". (Insert Picard facepalm here.)

"Double-speak" (more commonly known as something that rhymes with "bullwhip") is a guaranteed way to insult and alienate your fan base Bethesda. You BETTER get someone to sit on Mr. Hines before he does irrecoverable damage to your PR. Uhm, might be too late for that actually...

Edited because I can't spell even with spellcheck.... (Picard face-palm)

Edited by LeddBate

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to refuse that patch? If it would be in a form of free DLC, you simply wouldn't download it, but if it will be automatic? I didn't find it in settings.

It is an "upgrade". You cannot refuse it.

Well, unless you are offline.

I'm betting eventually valve will force steam to come out of offline state.

Think about it, steam checks if it's online when it starts up, sees that it's offline and asks do you want to keep it online.

Imagine down that it just starts up in online mode automatically even if you had it in offline mode on the last load >_>. So the next measure we take will be keep the cord out/turn off wifi. I guess from there, they will put in Detect Modem technology and keep steam from even booting up if it detects you actually have a connection, but ain't got your PC hooked up.

Which brings me to this point: Having to keep this thing offline because of Bethesda is totally inconvenient.

Edited by Rasikko

Gopher points out that you can set your Steam NOT to allow updates for your FO4 (and Skyrim) but that might cause issues down the road. What if you need to verify your files?

It's beginning to look like keeping a back-up of your basic Skyrim(s) would be an even better idea now.

What video does he say that in?

There is no setting in Steam for "not allow updates"

"Always keep this game up to date"

"Only update this game when I launch it"

"High Priority - Always auto-update this game before others"

Those are the only 3 options available these days.

The only workaround I can see would be to select the "only update this game when I launch it" option, so it doesn't automatically update when you log onto Steam. If you're going to play Skyrim, you can then go in offline mode and avoid the update. BUT keep in mind that this method won't allow you to use the Steam features that require an internet connection; playing in offline mode doesn't keep track of your hours played, you can't use the browser, and so on.

There's your answer, Darole. Gopher says this in one of the videos above. Sorry I can't remember specifically which one.

So he doesn't actually say "Gopher points out that you can set your Steam NOT to allow updates"

Because you actually can't.

Personally, just set steam to be "offline" and it will stay that way untill I have assurances that the "CC" will neither bork up my SKSE install, nor junk up my drive with content I do not want, and did not ask to have "force installed"

Yet another "win" for Bethesda. As Sterling put it "Bethetic"

Not sure if the Creation Club will extend to Skyrim LE. Consoles only run the SE version.

As to how the non-existent SKSE64 would be affected is that it would need to be updated everytime a new Creation Club roll out is downloaded. The Nexus for Skyrim SE is already full of little microtransaction items, so the market will really be for console users who make up the vast majority of players. Bethesda will just need to make these swords and armor pieces bright and shiny enough for the young console players to pester their parents into ordering sufficient credits to purchase these items.

Personally, just set steam to be "offline" and it will stay that way untill I have assurances that the "CC" will neither bork up my SKSE install, nor junk up my drive with content I do not want, and did not ask to have "force installed"

Yet another "win" for Bethesda. As Sterling put it "Bethetic"

Not sure if the Creation Club will extend to Skyrim LE. Consoles only run the SE version.

As to how the non-existent SKSE64 would be affected is that it would need to be updated everytime a new Creation Club roll out is downloaded. The Nexus for Skyrim SE is already full of little microtransaction items, so the market will really be for console users who make up the vast majority of players. Bethesda will just need to make these swords and armor pieces bright and shiny enough for the young console players to pester their parents into ordering sufficient credits to purchase these items.

"Not sure" That sums the whole Bethesda bit up in a nutshell. I'm "not sure" at this point if they're not sniffing under the skirt of Oldrim to see if they may have missed some coin, and don't give a good God D$@& about screwing my carefully modded install. Since I can't trust this company, I'll just keep Steam offlne. Thanks.

A video by American Krogan, who is actually a modder here on the Nexus. Or rather WAS a modder. I'll just let him tell you about it in his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II5kstCPNeg -because it touches on the Bethesda Creation Club in a rather poignant manner. "American Krogan" is known by a different name here on the Nexus, but I'll let him introduce himself in the video.

I like how Skyrim Original is well hidden on Steam(you can only find the link if you own the game and go to store page) is 15 euros(well 14.99) and it's got a lot of thumbs down reviews from people upset about the Creation Club. I feel lucky that I got SE for free simply for owning the original lol. Edited by Rasikko

The more I learn about the Craptation, pardon, I meant 'Creation' Club, the more I am becoming alarmed at the possible future of Skyrim. Please see Gopher's newest video (I linked it in an edit to my original post above) about just how very, very bad this is. It's not just a matter of clogging your HD or SSD with files you have no intention of using... -No, it's also about patch updates that might start occurring on a monthly, weekly or even daily basis. Which means your executables for FO4 and Skyrim will be altered. Which (for LE Skyrim at least) means your script extenders stop working properly until they're updated. Do you think we'll see weekly (or even monthly) updates of script extenders for our games?

There's a reason why the internet seems to be gearing up to stomp Bethesda in the PR department as much as it can. And that reason is that the Creation Club is priming itself to wreck our modded games, whether you give a crap about the CC or not.

What script extenders? :D

I'm not worried. Skyrim is still awesome. No amount of patching is going to thwart me.

I have a question about these "mini-DLC" as Bethesda calls them.

Dawguard was released in 2012 with a starting price of $20

It had a complete storyline, 2 different factions to join, new armor, new weapons, new voice overs, a LOT of new things.

You can check what Dawnguard added to the game here: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Dawnguard

It's a rather extensive list for $20

The big question is, what do we get for $20 from the Creation Club?

Edited by tehmaddoctor

I have a question about these "mini-DLC" as Bethesda calls them.

Dawguard was released in 2012 with a starting price of $20

It had a complete storyline, 2 different factions to join, new armor, new weapons, new voice overs, a LOT of new things.

You can check what Dawnguard added to the game here: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Dawnguard

It's a rather extensive list for $20

The big question is, what do we get for $20 from the Creation Club?

Re-textured and remastered high poly steel sword.

:D

Edited by Rasikko