⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Nexus site beta ready - help us help you

Dark0ne

Over the past 10 months we have been working behind the scenes on a completely new Nexus site code. Because my code was not up to professional standards the premise was really simple, I've hired on 2 great programmers, and in order for us to make the most of the quality of these coders we needed to rebuild the site code so we had a strong base to push off from. We haven't added any new functionality or major changes, in fact, by the time we're happy with the code we want the site to look and behave exactly the same (apart from one or two bug fixes and small improvements).

Think of it like you would a house: You have a house. It has 2 bedrooms, it's old, decrepit and falling apart. You want a better house, with more rooms, an extension, a conservatory and lots of mod cons on the same patch of land. You can try and build on and extend your old house, but it's likely that at some point all the new extensions and additions you make to the house will make your old, decrepit house fall in on itself from all the load and burden you're placing on it. You don't want your house to be held together by sticky tape and band aids, or be afraid of it falling down at any moment! So what you do is demolish the old house, reset the foundation and rebuild the house brick by brick to your new specifications. That's what we've done. We've rebuilt the site brick by brick, but better, and with massive room to grow.

Before we roll-out this new code we would really love your help in testing it out. We want you to jump all over it, and try out all the features on the site to make sure they work exactly like they do right now on the Nexus sites, because as much as we test it, there are things that you do that we don't! And it's impossible for us to test every eventuality. To that end we have setup a Beta Site which is a mock-up of TESNexus. It is using completely dummy, test data. This means all the data on the site, and anything you add or change will NOT be live on any Nexus site and you're safe to test things with test data without having to worry about affecting the general operation of any of the Nexus sites. Feel free to add, upload, modify and delete to your heart's content because it will not affect any of the content available on the Nexus sites.

The beta site should look and behave exactly like the current sites. We haven't made any major changes to the looks or functionality of the sites, so it should be practically like-for-like, and if it isn't, it's a bug which we need to squash! If you find a bug then please use our bug tracker to let us know and we'll get it fixed ASAP! So please, take 15 minutes out of your busy schedule to help us beta test the new code, because the sooner we roll-out the code the sooner we can start adding some really awesome new functionality to the sites.

This beta test is important as it enables us to iron out bugs before we roll out the code to the sites. If we don't know about a bug then we can't fix it, and you'll come across it on the live site (which might have worse implications!), so help us to help you!

So hurry up and help us ensure the transition is as smooth as possible by using every feature you can think of on our beta site.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so cool to see a massive project like this being done in a sensible, rational, intelligent manner.

Thanks for the update. I'll go beat your beta bush, and see if I can flush a bug or two out.

So far it actually works better than the "real" sites, before I had an odd bug on chrome where all the links dissappeared as soon as the advertisements loaded. Will see if I can't find some other hidden bugs though. ;)

i don't know about that cuz i block all my advertising,but yea it works much better,smoother no issues in comment section like double posts(maybe cuz is no traffic:P) thou I've tried to post a comment on one mod and it said No ID was supplied for this action but i was logged in:) it happened only with that mod (http://beta.nexusmods.com/Mods/41723/).not sure if it's a bug:)

Haha... if you say the word Nexus backwards and replace the letter 'N' with 's'... yeah. :P That's how I'll sum up the beta, haven't got any lag or gateway errors or anything yet, been using the site for a good hour or two. I do like the thumbnail additions when browsing mods. Overall, very cool, but if I find any problems I'll post 'em here so everybody else can see.

This is why a decade later Nexus is going from strength to strength and has the devoted following it has. Thank you Dark0ne,for everything you've done for the community and all Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind/DragonAge/Fallout etc players the world over. Nexus is the phenomenon it is thanks to you. As a Nexus devotee of some years now I can say that no other site matches it,in my opinion. Much appreciated! Cheers!

it will be confusing at first but i know we will all get used to the update :)

all i can request is that all mods need a picture. i winds me up when a mod looks promising but you cant see what it dose :P

Congrats on getting the new code into beta! I'm excited to mess around with it.

@trekkie107 - I know what you're saying but ploading pics is up to the mod author and a requirement that every mod needs a picture would be over the top. Some mods make changes that can't be expressed visually.

May I make a suggestion for the site?

On the front page, it displays Hot Files, Latest Files, Latest Images, and of course, the news on the site, but I would really like to see a "Hot Images" added to the front page, to show what images are the coolest on the site (like picture of a mod that is going to be released.)

Edited by Shadow Of Doom

Found a bug, if you click Login without entering in the inputs you get a blank page saying "null"

URL in address bar is "http://gatekeeper.nexusmods.com/Sessions/?Login&uri=http://beta.nexusmods.com/"

Edited by tremour88