Are people finishing the main quest?

ElricOfGrans

I feel like it's your duty as Dragonborn to defeat Alduin. I mean... the whole world is at stake here. If you just let Alduin raise more and more dragons while you wander about and pick flowers all day you're doing it wrong. By the gods, your destiny is written within the Elder Scrolls. The prophecy that a Dragonborn will show himself at the turning of the age. When the dragons once again gather their strengths and grow in numbers each day with a goal to destroy the world you are Tamriels only hope and it's your duty to fullfill your destiny as the Dragonborn!

*epic music in backround*

I feel like it's your duty as Dragonborn to defeat Alduin. I mean... the whole world is at stake here. If you just let Alduin raise more and more dragons while you wander about and pick flowers all day you're doing it wrong. By the gods, your destiny is written within the Elder Scrolls. The prophecy that a Dragonborn will show himself at the turning of the age. When the dragons once again gather their strengths and grow in numbers each day with a goal to destroy the world you are Tamriels only hope and it's your duty to fullfill your destiny as the Dragonborn!

The things is, though, that Alduin doesn't even feel like a threat─it doesn't even feel like the world is at stake.

OT: I have completed the Main Quest Line once, and haven't touched it ever since beyond escaping Helgen.

The things is, though, that Alduin doesn't even feel like a threat─it doesn't even feel like the world is at stake.

OT: I have completed the Main Quest Line once, and haven't touched it ever since beyond escaping Helgen.

Indeed. I must agree with that to the fullest. The world doesn't feel like it's in danger... I just over exaggerated my post. :laugh:

I've got over 1200 hours in Skyrim with multiple characters and have yet to complete the main quest even once. I enjoy the sandbox world. I do lots of side quests, work on crafting skills, join factions and just generally role play.

I completed the main quest in Morrowind multiple times and found it very satisfying. I was walking on air when I came down off Red Mountain that first time. I completed the main quest three or four times in Oblivion, but found it less satisfying. After being the reincarnation of a legendary general, helping Martin be a hero just seemed a let down.

I'm hoping that when I finally do complete the main quest in Skyrim, I feel more like I did when I finished Morrowind's main quest than I did when I finished Oblivion's main quest. I really don't want another let down.

Completed the main quest sequence once. Now, when I play, I just run around from town to town completing all the other requests available.

Edited by dge1

The MQ is rather anti-climatic after all the build up the game throws at you. In Vanilla play(no difficulty mods), its downright insulting how easy it is to defeat him, even on 'legendary' he's a pushover. And after you beat him.........nothing really happens. No really. You get a neat event at top of throat of the world, but thats all. No one in wider world knows what you did, mentions anything about it, nor are you rewarded in any real way for saving the world. Not that the DB really needs another reward\special ability at that point mind you, but still, even if they the locals crafted you a awesome(looking) set of armor , or a nice ceremonial sword or staff,,,anything, but no. Not so much as a 'thanks for saving the world'. Well, ok Arngeir thanks you, but hes a crusty old man that never gets out of the house and has 3 even less interesting friends exactly like him, and eats lots of dried fish.

Now days, I delay even triggering the MQ, I hate being constantly harassed by dragons every friggen other time I fast travel, so I put even that off as long as I can. And the main reason I even do that much is I need a few of the shouts, mostly WW spirit and Force push, couple others that are semi useful. If not for the shouts, I likely wouldn't even start till I had finished 99% of the playthrough.

I've never come to grips with even starting the MQ, because it only makes sense that if you do start it that it would consume everything you do - fulfill your destiny. If I do that, then what is the point of playing the game after that with that character?

Current playthough I'll eventually do the MQ, but right now I'm preoccupied with catching butterflies and dragonflies. :D