Thanks BIOWARE, can't play yet even though I legitimately bought t

SpellAndShield

-gaping plotholes

-your choices throughout the game have zero impact

-no matter what your choices throughout the game, you can still access every ending

-the endings came out of nowhere and don't even make any sense at all

-the endings are not in touch with the lore of the game

-the endings all basically destroy the ME universe

-the endings provide no closure at all

you forgot there is only one ending with 3 outcomes which use the same ending not even the dialog is changed between them, even if somehow liked the endings. you have to admit that is damn lazy.

@Handofbane: Majority of the reviwers/journalists do support the autonomy of the developer, artistic choice and whatnot, regarding fans as whiners, homophobics etc. However, there are some that do feel that the fans deserve a better ending, or at least think that they are right.. Strangely enough, Forbes is one of the most vocal fan supporter magazines, but there are others as well.. I know I've watched/read at least 10 supporting pieces (and twice as much condemning).

As for voting the game down, I feel they are right.. The game has its flaws but it's still quite enjoyable up until last 5 minutes. As horrible as they are the game in its whole doesn't deserve such low grades and is obviously target of unmitigated rage and intentional ratings bombing...

@HellsMaster: Blame the consoles. :P Seriously tho, glitches and bad graphics are present but IMHO the story holds much more weight in ME franchise then graphics. As for DA2 being best game or w/e, some may think that, but it is my belief that vast majority don't think DA2 was better then DA:O, let alone best game or RPG.

Edited by FreeeLancer

What hurts the most is all this:

Quote taken directly from the official site:

-Along the way, your choices drive powerful outcomes, including relationships with key characters, the fate of entire civilizations, and even radically different ending scenarios.

And a few from interviews and the like:

-"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C."

-"It's more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them."

-"As Mass Effect 3 is the end of the planned trilogy, the developers are not constrained by the necessity of allowing the story to diverge, yet also continue into the next chapter. This will result in a story that diverges into wildly different conclusions based on the player's actions in the first two chapters."

-"I honestly think the player base is going to be really happy with the way we've done it. You had a part in it. Every decision you've made will impact how things go. The player's also the architect of what happens."

It just rubs salt into the wounds.

And this article from 7 days before US launch:

We’re literally days away from the epic launch of Mass Effect 3 and anticipation for the game couldn’t be higher. BioWare has assured gamers that this trilogy capper will provide the satisfying conclusion that rounds out the story of Commander Shepard. In order to craft an experience that really delivers on this promise, BioWare has had to fashion numerous different endings that hinge on the choices made by the player over the course of the entire series.

In a recent interview with 360 Magazine, the game’s producer Mike Gamble and discussed how the studio approached the story of ME3.

There are many ways to end Shepard’s story, right? I wouldn’t necessarily say ending Shepard’s story means one thing or the other, like life or death or whatever. It comes to a conclusion and how you get to that conclusion.

There a risks involved in how you get there or how you completely not get there. As in the previous games, you’ll make a decision and you’ll see the outcome and there are huge risks to all of those decisions. It’s not cut and dry.

There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t say any more than that…

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/02/29/bioware-discusses-mass-effect-conclusion-me3-has-many-different-endings/

Those are blatant lies. Your choices do not affect the ending in the least and all three endings are slight variations on the same ending.

Also, lol pic is funny and depressing at the same time. -> http://i.imgur.com/xUq9t.png

Thank you Bioware, for building up a series that I spent about 150 hours in, got so invested and emotionally attached to the universe and it's inhabitants, just to vilify me in under 15 minutes.

Edited by Halororor

As for voting the game down, I feel they are right.. The game has its flaws but it's still quite enjoyable up until last 5 minutes. As horrible as they are the game in its whole doesn't deserve such low grades and is obviously target of unmitigated rage and intentional ratings bombing...

Something slightly tangential, but related - metacritic actually went in after the massive initial burst of ratings/reviews were made and deleted a large number for violating their basic rules on what constitutes an actual review and what is spam/artificial score adjustment... after doing so, the average user rating went down for two of the three formats (it may have gone down for PC as well, but that was the lowest of the three consistently, and likely wouldn't have made much difference). Taking the time to read through many of the reviews, there are quite a few points made about problems beyond just the endings, but those vary on a user-by-user basis.

May be a bit off topic since this post is not to talk about ME3, but is on topic with the thread title and explain the reason this is not going to affect me anymore.

For years I have been a greater fan of Bioware titles, some the best games of all times in my list come from them but the last few years that feeling started fading and substituted for an emptiness.

DA:Origins was the last game I bought from them. Oh yes, I bought ME too and liked it a lot as almost everybody else... then came ME2 and the train was already derailing. A friend of mine pre-ordered it and then I could see what I would be getting into, became too much frustrated it made no sense at all. I thought "is this supposed to be a trilogy?" and decided I wanted not to play it beyond those few hours at my friends house, commenting it's many inconcistencies but above all it's complete dumbing down at the translation to the "console format" (not only at control level, mind you). Then I never really played ME2, don't even know how it develops after certain point and surely can't tell how it ends. But still kept the hope it was there to fill the gap for the epic conclusion...

Meanwhile the actual problems with EA began to sprout, coming out from a greater hard disk failure (the C: but not limited to it, the system backup failed too, of course) almost all games needed to be reinstalled, DA:O included, so I did it but I had not anymore the original email for my EA account, and don't know for sure if I could change it, at least not in any intuitive or documented way, I was pointed to create a new account.

Then I had to redeem all those thingies coming with my "Collector's Edition" and could not, most were smaller things I did not care that much anyway but one was The Stone Prisoner, Goodbye Shale, I'm sorry have not given you the chance to be a companion that much you maybe deserved for surely I'll not subject myself to all the fuzz and mess dealing with the issue. I'm not sure I can play Dragon Age origins anymore, it feels bitter at this moment.

Then came Skyrim (not necessarily in that chronological order) and I could not avoid the "new order of merchandizing and marketing" anymore and had to resort to go Steam, since them I got quite a few titles and made a small but solid library. I don't rely yet on Steam and would prefer being "owner" of the game I buy. I don't mean owner of the content let's let it clear, just I wish I can install, uninstall, reinstall or otherwise play the game as much as I like, when I like and not needing to account for what I'm doing, least yet having to have third party bless and permission to do so...

But then Steam is a minor evil compared to EA merchandise model, Origins Store will not see me there does not matter how good is whatever game they release, now I'm pretty sure that supporting EA is killing the game industry once and for all and I want no participation in this. At least Steam allowed me to recover all the games without needing to download everything again, mostly just reconstructed the register and stuff. This can serve as a warning to those "geek" enough to know how to right click some those linked folders, mainly the Documents folder and "move" them outside the C:. Do it and someday you may thanks having done it. If interested in how to do it read the end of this post.

So no, no ME3 for me and then no ME2 too, I don't feel I'm losing anything that important anyway.

In time: That Bioware was much more caring to their consumers is patent for "reinstalling" NWN2 was as automatic as Steam based games (luckily most games was in a partition in another disk) and the update process detected the game was already up to date and just remade the register and I did not need to pass all that annoyance redoing all those monstrous patches, better yet, without losing all the mods already there.

]Instructions to move the Documents folder outside C:

1 - Create a folder named "My Documents" inside the partition root you want it.

2 - Open Explorer and navigate to /Users/YourUserName

3 - right click the "My Documents" folder and then in "Properties"

4 - Click the Location tab and from there click the "move" button and navigate to the newly created folder

5 - Move it, this simple, least not losing some important data in case of needing to format C: and forgetting to backup.

This can be made for the "Downloads" folder too, actually all those "links" you see there which have that "location" tab can be put outside C: this way.

This hint may be particularly useful to those transferring Windows to a Small SSD drive.

Well since this is working out well for a topic to complain about the ending, I will post what I said in my topic.

Does anyone else wonder why you can't withdraw the fleets and blow up the sol relay?

Since a destroyed relay takes out a entire system (ending of a me2 dlc, shep took out a entire batarian system to stop the reapers), that would destroy the entire sol system (where all the reapers, including the leader of the reapers currently are) and be the best possible ending.

It would save humanity and defeat the reapers, without knocking everything back to the stone age.

Does no one else see this? I can't be the only one who thought of this.

By the time the fleets withdraw it would have been too late to save them. It takes several hours to move the fleets back, which is never shown in-game. It was a very dramatic ending, one that people didn't suspect till now. At least the game is good and more polished, best in the series.

By the time the fleets withdraw it would have been too late to save them. It takes several hours to move the fleets back, which is never shown in-game. It was a very dramatic ending, one that people didn't suspect till now. At least the game is good and more polished, best in the series.

It takes less then a minute to move the fleets from pluto (the relay) to earth.

It wouldn't be hard at all to withdraw the fleets

It is not that people didn't expect it, it is that it was terrible. I am sure most people expected the ending to be pretty sad or unhappy.

It is polished sure, and it has better combat then the other games. That does not excuse the failure of the story.