What settings should I set it to?

graem

Mainboard : Asus P6T SE

Chipset : Intel X58

Processor : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2666MHz

Physical Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

DirectX : Version 11.00

Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

With this, what is the prefer settings I should change with my Skyrim.ini and my SkyrimPrefs.ini files?

Edited by graem

It is a nice system. I wouldn't pay attention to the Windows PI, it rates your system based on the weakest part, and the weakest part is almost always the hard drive. Anyways, you CPU is more than enough for Skyrim ultra, but which 5800 series card to you have; 5850 or 5870? Doesn't matter too much because they are both good. I would guess you would probably get really nice framerate if you play on high/ultra-high. First try high and see what fps you get with This mod and if you sit around 45+ (game is limited to 60) you are doing great and could probably bump it up higher. If you are lower just drop the aa down a little.

It is a nice system. I wouldn't pay attention to the Windows PI, it rates your system based on the weakest part, and the weakest part is almost always the hard drive. Anyways, you CPU is more than enough for Skyrim ultra, but which 5800 series card to you have; 5850 or 5870? Doesn't matter too much because they are both good. I would guess you would probably get really nice framerate if you play on high/ultra-high. First try high and see what fps you get with This mod and if you sit around 45+ (game is limited to 60) you are doing great and could probably bump it up higher. If you are lower just drop the aa down a little.

Thanks for the comment, the settings on the launcher are good for me, I was wandering about the more advance settings, like things to set down for more improvements, like shadows and what not. I also would like to use the High quality texture pack, bethesda realesed but im not sure about that with the settings I have set up now. Since I would like to use mods, like the War zones mod, Water Textures and effects, Better weather, Enhanced blood textures, more Quest's, Better sounds and what not.

Edited by graem

If you want you can take a look at my Skyrim.ini and Skyrimpref.ini and say on what you think, as I said it seems to be good while playing the game, but I would like to be able to use the High texture pack and mods

The answer depends on the video card is actually there. A 5850 has much less power than a 5890, the rule of thumb is that 3rth digit has a major impact in the performance. sometimes greater than the two first digits if they are close enough.

PS: If it is an integrated card it may be way bellow the optimal performance compared to the rest of the rig.

Edit: Googled the mobo, it has not IGP what eliminate the possibility of integrated video, good sign.

Edited by nosisab

The answer depends on the video card is actually there. A 5850 has much less power than a 5890, the rule of thumb is that 3rth digit has a major impact in the performance. sometimes greater than the two first digits if they are close enough.

Strange can't seem to get a specific number on the system specs, all it says thats its 5800 series?

I have a HD 6870, AMD 6 core @ 3.2 gb\s and screen res. 1920x1080p, and run on very high,around 50 - 60 FPS (without HD Texture Pack), give or take for screen res., you should be similar. One of the most crucial performance improvers can be your shadow res. if you choose so (I use default).

I have a better graphics card and the game doesn't play so nice for me with 1920x1080 even with medium settings.

Actually the shadows are really horrible performance killers.

I found an acceptable middle way:

Res: 1280x720

AA: 2x

AF: 16x

Everything else maxed out except shadows and FXAA.

Shadows: medium

FXAA: off

In addition I use this ENB-Profile:

Superl3 ENB

And the full version 1.5 of this texture pack:

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures

The game looks just delicious and is running very smooth.

Here's a screenshot I took.

Now tell me this doesn't look delicious :D!

Edited by Grasmann

I have a better graphics card and the game doesn't play so nice for me with 1920x1080 even with medium settings.

Superl3 ENB

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures

Thanks for the comment, it helped a lot. I lowered down the shadow quality and it allowed me to use the High texture pack with out no trouble.

Superl3 ENB

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures

Thanks for the comment, it helped a lot. I lowered down the shadow quality and it allowed me to use the High texture pack with out no trouble.

Awesome I can use the warzone mod with this, finally no more talks of war and never seeing it happen.