About making Snap N' Build available again

lucashc90

The only criteria is permission from the original author either directly or in the readme to republish it.

The Rabbit

But what happens in cases where the original author has left the modding community forever, there's no Read Me file and there's no way to contact them or they never respond? Would re-uploading the file be automatically against the rules therefore resulting in a probable ban or would it only be a problem if the original author, ad3d0 returned and raised objections?

I've thought about this but I don't want to break the rules and as well I have 1.9 but IIRC there's a 2.0 with additional content that I had on Xbox One. It would definitely be best if someone who has the 2.0 version would be the one to do this. The Real Estate\Door Frames doesn't have variants for the other themes in 1.9 but on Xbox One it had all themes and I think there was an added doors tab plus small additions here and there. So if I'm using a different theme I end up using a doorway & door from Homemaker instead so there won't be a color clash. I would PM him but I only found him on Bethesda's site and it said last login was in 2016 which IIRC also means he has probably not even played the game since then since accessing the in-game mod menu logs you in. Unless he is one of the people who never uses the in-game menu which I would doubt since there are a good few mods that are only obtainable there as they aren't on Nexus at all so I figure most do like I do and mainly use NMM for >95% of my mods but still use the in-game mod browser plus check every now and then specifically for mods that never get uploaded on Nexus.

I didn't use it much on Xbox since it quickly causes lag even after adding a fairly small and simple building, mainly it's the windows that do it since they're high quality and the light/shadow calculations cause slowdowns. I speculate this may have been why he took the file down although that's entirely the fault of the Xbox One's hardware falling short. Console players probably complained a lot and call it poorly optimization when really it's a bunch of compounding factors that cause slowdowns. Maybe ad3d0 got sick of people whining and took it down. And I think it disappeared and came back a few times so he might have been hit by the report trolls on Bethesda's site.

On PC I'm building with Snap N' Build and staying pretty easily at 60fps or close to it. This is even with 4K @ 60fps instead of 720p@30fps with drops, 10 times the building size compared to my X1 settlement, actually furnishing and adding Settlers/Sim Settlement plots whereas on X1 I already experienced lag with no clutter/furniture/settlements/Sim Settlements. As well the location I'm using(Conquest mod) is in Nuka World near Hubologist's camp but there's actually enemy spawn points inside the main building I made that I didn't notice since I first worked on the area outside the mainbuilding. So there were a bunch of Mirelurks inside, not sure how they never detected anybody until I went inside to add wiring from the generator. So IMO I would say Snap N' Build is not poorly optimized.

Might it possibly be okay to reupload Snap N' Build but place a disclaimer at the top of the description & Read Me file:

"All credit belongs to the original author ad3d0. This is his file so if ad3d0 contacts me to ask that this file not be shared I am 100% willing to delete this file at his request.

I only wish to upload this file as a modder's resource for the Fallout 4 modding community since this is quite a good building kit and it further increases what we can accomplish in synergy with other excellent mods like Place Anywhere, Sim Settlements, Home Maker, Snappy Build Kit, USO, DDProductions83's AIO, SOE Pack, Transfer Settlements, Conquest and a whole lot more! The more resources available to the community the more they can accomplish and it can inspire people to get more involved or try to create their own content.

There are some occasional minor issues with texture clipping and snapping difficulties but with some trial & error using the kit it becomes quite straightforward to work around this and at least in my opinion the results are worth it so I think it's an excellent mod nonetheless.

And if ad3d0 is still around perhaps as player maybe he can benefit from Snap N' Build if it is used for a Transfer Settlements Blueprint or who knows, maybe another talented modder could decide to take on the mod and expand it with further content updates."

Snappy is better with the vanilla resources, yes... but Snap N' Build had the bunker and industrial sets, besides a unique theme that can be best described as "building pre-war houses with scrap", which integrated awesomely with people that thinks Covenant is too clean for a post-apocalyptic setting. For example, when I build western themed settlements, I often mix Snappy and SnB, as well as harbor themed with Master Plan and SnB. I wouldn't be able to share any of my settlements with anyone who don't have SnB because of that.

Same here. I like the Real Estate set and I tend to use a little bit of everything. I've been wondering about this too since I might want to release a blueprint but I've been using SnB quite a lot. I'm trying to make a minuteman base that primarily serves as a challenging location for Nuka World Settlement raiding(or perhaps importing the base as an initially hostile settlement for those who do not have the DLC) and I keep wanting to use the Real Estate set. And as well some mods that share the same sets actually have some different pieces that the other one doesn't or one may have specific pieces that work better.

Imagining the Minutemen as antagonists relative to the player who has completed Nuka World(like a neutral to evil player) it wouldn't make sense IMO for them to have rickety shacks. Their base would be something that's challenging to raid for a player who's high level and potentially has some support from Nuka World Raiders, Brotherhood of Steel, Institute, Railroad, etc.

Anyway, I have reached to ad3d0, but after I mentioned Snap N' Build, he went completely silent (he was already silent before, but you get what I mean), so... I guess he really moved on and probably have tons of messages about it everyday, so unless he states otherwise, I assume he don't want anyone sharing it and I will respect that...

Did he reply at all? If not then maybe he isn't active anymore and/or doesn't play/mod Fallout 4 anymore? If yes but he stopped once you mentioned SnB than I'd say you're right.

Hummmm... didn't download Homemaker, it looked like a burden to navigate in with all those aditions, many I would never use, but I might be mistaken.

It's really good and not at all a burden to navigate.

Edited by fftfan

no, he didn't leave any information about permissions to reupload and unless someone gets permission from him to do so, or he reuploads it himself, it will stay down.

there were lots of bug reports on the xbox page for SnB, but there were just as many on the nexus page. it was a problem on both platforms. regardless, it wasn't ever specified why he removed the mod, nor does he have to, but my guess is that there were probably more important or pressing things happening in his life than the mod, and he probably didn't need bug reports accumulating on the mod pages while he was gone from people incapable of reading descriptions and understanding how to use mods properly.

if he was open to letting someone else reupload the mod in his absence, he probably would've left information about how to contact him. there's been no shortage of people asking about Snap n Build since it's removal, and plenty of people trying to contact him about it.

The only criteria is permission from the original author either directly or in the readme to republish it.

The Rabbit

But what happens in cases where the original author has left the modding community forever, there's no Read Me file and there's no way to contact them or they never respond? Would re-uploading the file be automatically against the rules therefore resulting in a probable ban or would it only be a problem if the original author, ad3d0 returned and raised objections?

I've thought about this but I don't want to break the rules and as well I have 1.9 but IIRC there's a 2.0 with additional content that I had on Xbox One. The Real Estate\Door Frames doesn't have variants for the other themes in 1.9 but on Xbox One it had all themes and I think there was an added doors tab plus small additions here and there. I would PM him but I only found him on Bethesda's site and it said last login was in 2016 which IIRC also means he has probably not even played the game since then since accessing the in-game mod menu logs you in. Unless he is one of the people who never uses the in-game menu which I would doubt since there are a good few mods that are only obtainable there as they aren't on Nexus at all so I figure most do like I do and mainly use NMM for >95% of my mods but still use the in-game mod browser plus check every now and then specifically for mods that never get uploaded on Nexus.

Might it possibly be okay to reupload Snap N' Build but place a disclaimer at the top of the description & Read Me file:

"All credit belongs to the original author ad3d0. This is his file so if ad3d0 contacts me to ask that this file not be shared I am 100% willing to delete this file at his request.

I only wish to upload this file as a modder's resource for the Fallout 4 modding community since this is quite a good building kit and it further increases what we can accomplish in synergy with other excellent mods like Place Anywhere, Sim Settlements, Home Maker, Snappy Build Kit, USO, DDProductions83's AIO, SOE Pack, Transfer Settlements, Conquest and a whole lot more! The more resources available to the community the more they can accomplish and it can inspire people to get more involved or try to create their own content.

Mind you that I am not an administrator on this site and can only repeat that which I have learned by being a member here for the last eleven years. Many websites will let you get away with what you suggest, but the owner of this site, Robin Scott (Dark0ne) is a stickler for defending a modder's intellectual property rights. If you do not have permission from the author nor if the author has not given permission in the documentation you cannot use his work or re-upload it so others may use it. This constitutes mod theft and you will be shown short shrift if you upload it. The disclaimer that you suggest has been used in the past on other occasions and, believe me, it does not cut it. If I may paraphrase from the Terms of Service. Quote:

"Nexus sites have quite a liberal content policy on what files are acceptable on the site but there are still rules all uploaders must adhere to. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the file being removed from the site, the uploader's account being banned and if necessary all the details of the uploader being passed on to relevant authorities:

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.
  • All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.
  • Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use."

Do not think that I am yelling at you for I am not. I just wish to pass along the rules as I know them and avoid letting other people get into trouble with the site. This is a grand place to hang out at and I don't want somebody to mess it up for themselves.

The Rabbit

no, he didn't leave any information about permissions to reupload and unless someone gets permission from him to do so, or he reuploads it himself, it will stay down.

there were lots of bug reports on the xbox page for SnB, but there were just as many on the nexus page. it was a problem on both platforms. regardless, it wasn't ever specified why he removed the mod, nor does he have to, but my guess is that there were probably more important or pressing things happening in his life than the mod, and he probably didn't need bug reports accumulating on the mod pages while he was gone from people incapable of reading descriptions and understanding how to use mods properly.

if he was open to letting someone else reupload the mod in his absence, he probably would've left information about how to contact him. there's been no shortage of people asking about Snap n Build since it's removal, and plenty of people trying to contact him about it.

I've read some comments on the xbox page and most of the bugs I read about were things like mod menu categories disappearing which IMO falls under user error stuff like Mod conflicts, load order issues, not properly installing/uninstalling SnB and/or other mods.

Can you tell me about any of these bugs? Although I'd originally downloaded SnB on the Xbox a long time ago I haven't actually play tested the mod very extensively so for all I know there could actually be big issues like save corruption and stuff that I have no idea about. On the Xbox I ended up leaving a bunch of stuff disabled because of performance issues, which left my game with a very minimalist load order.

The Rabbit

I've thought about this but I don't want to break the rules and as well I have 1.9 but IIRC there's a 2.0 with additional content that I had on Xbox One. The Real Estate\Door Frames doesn't have variants for the other themes in 1.9 but on Xbox One it had all themes and I think there was an added doors tab plus small additions here and there. I would PM him but I only found him on Bethesda's site and it said last login was in 2016 which IIRC also means he has probably not even played the game since then since accessing the in-game mod menu logs you in. Unless he is one of the people who never uses the in-game menu which I would doubt since there are a good few mods that are only obtainable there as they aren't on Nexus at all so I figure most do like I do and mainly use NMM for >95% of my mods but still use the in-game mod browser plus check every now and then specifically for mods that never get uploaded on Nexus.

Mind you that I am not an administrator on this site and can only repeat that which I have learned by being a member here for the last eleven years. Many websites will let you get away with what you suggest, but the owner of this site, Robin Scott (Dark0ne) is a stickler for defending a modder's intellectual property rights. If you do not have permission from the author nor if the author has not given permission in the documentation you cannot use his work or re-upload it so others may use it. This constitutes mod theft and you will be shown short shrift if you upload it. The disclaimer that you suggest has been used in the past on other occasions and, believe me, it does not cut it. If I may paraphrase from the Terms of Service. Quote:

"Nexus sites have quite a liberal content policy on what files are acceptable on the site but there are still rules all uploaders must adhere to. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the file being removed from the site, the uploader's account being banned and if necessary all the details of the uploader being passed on to relevant authorities:

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.
  • All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.
  • Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use."
Do not think that I am yelling at you for I am not. I just wish to pass along the rules as I know them and avoid letting other people get into trouble with the site. This is a grand place to hang out at and I don't want somebody to mess it up for themselves.

The Rabbit

Thank you for the clear and helpful answer. I do appreciate the concern. I know the Nexus is very strict so my position is to always ask.

May I also ask about if an original mod concept(as in not based on or utilizing anybody's work) would be acceptable?

I'd like to make 2 models based on anime characters from Code Geass, more specifically based on a figure of the character which was based on an illustration. The models and textures involved would be created from scratch, the only use of existing mod assets would be using popular body mods which I'd fit the outfits to and possibly vanilla Fallout 4 outfits which I'd use for bone-weight copying. CBBE w/ Bodyslide for female if I decide to also make a female version, default will be male version although I am not sure which body type so I'll have to select one.

Without going into unnecessary details here is an image:

x4MLZVR.jpg

Now I fully understand that of course using materials directly from games like ported content is very bad but what I'm asking about are a somewhat different case, creating my own original interpretation of the existing character. I like a lot of anime and I'd like to make some of the characters in Fallout 4/Skyrim and how I would wish to do so would be blending them to an extent to Bethesda's art style so basically taking a somewhat more realistic approach where the character's clothing has believable details and material as opposed to many anime games which use cell-shaded graphics which is a completely different art style from Fallout 4/Skyrim.

Here's an existing example of the approach I'd like to take.

They've created a mod based on Revy from Black Lagoon, by creating an outfit that's based on her design.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26571/?

Revy's handgun made by jmenaru who's made a ton of great stuff. I haven't played much Skyrim since my old PC barely ran the game yet I had installed a number of his Skyrim mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26552/?

Edited by fftfan

May I also ask about if an original mod concept(as in not based on or utilizing anybody's work) would be acceptable?

you can make and upload mods without permission if you make every asset used in said mod. (added note: the intellectual property owners have the right to ask you to remove said mod if they wish in which case you must remove it.)

you can make and upload mods without permission if you make every asset used in said mod. (added note: the intellectual property owners have the right to ask you to remove said mod if they wish in which case you must remove it.)

This is my understanding although I wonder if in the case that the IP owner did ask for removal would that result in a ban from the Nexus? Until recently Code Geass was an inactive series though it's now making a comeback as they are now making a brand new season plus 3 movies which to my understanding two of them are recaps for the existing seasons and the third being brand new which I presume is to help lead into the 3rd season. Although I think it shouldn't matter to the rights holder since(at least currently) there are no Code Geass video games that I know of so the only probable effect of any Code Geass mods would just be potentially getting new people to try it out.

I've read some comments on the xbox page and most of the bugs I read about were things like mod menu categories disappearing which IMO falls under user error stuff like Mod conflicts, load order issues, not properly installing/uninstalling SnB and/or other mods.

Can you tell me about any of these bugs? Although I'd originally downloaded SnB on the Xbox a long time ago I haven't actually play tested the mod very extensively so for all I know there could actually be big issues like save corruption and stuff that I have no idea about. On the Xbox I ended up leaving a bunch of stuff disabled because of performance issues, which left my game with a very minimalist load order.

it's been some time since i last checked the SnB nexus page for bug reports so i don't recall all of the supposed bugs that had been reported, but the vast majority of them, if not all of them, were user errors exactly like the xbox page-not properly uninstalling and the like. that was maybe a couple of months before it was taken down.

i don't remember why i was even looking at the page since i was still on xbox at the time, and i wasn't even using the mod since it was too large of a file size imo for the mod space limitations. to be honest, i think it may have actually been because i was curious if real bugs had popped up sometime after the game update in february since the updates often break some mods if they're not updated as well. that didn't seem to be the case though.

the only issues i ever experienced with SnB are similar to the ones you mentioned.. built too much on my xbox using it and it dropped FPS or i wasn't able to complete a build since some of the real estate sets weren't complete. nothing that ever caused a corrupt save or harmed gameplay stability as a whole though.

This is my understanding although I wonder if in the case that the IP owner did ask for removal would that result in a ban from the Nexus?

no, you will not be banned. if the IP owner asks to have the file taken down it will be taken down by either you or the staff, I'm pretty sure the staff will ask you to remove it first but they might just remove it and inform you what happened. activity is irrelevant as the Spartan armor mod is based on the Halo Spartan armor and that is an active IP.

Whether or not they are directly affected is also irrelevant, they can still not want it to exist. seriously some fans of mangas in Japan try making fan animes for their favorite books and get shut down all the time.

also: http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Games first game made in 2008

no, you will not be banned. if the IP owner asks to have the file taken down it will be taken down by either you or the staff, I'm pretty sure the staff will ask you to remove it first but they might just remove it and inform you what happened. activity is irrelevant as the Spartan armor mod is based on the Halo Spartan armor and that is an active IP.

also: http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Games first game made in 2008

Great to know thanks.

Whether or not they are directly affected is also irrelevant, they can still not want it to exist. seriously some fans of mangas in Japan try making fan animes for their favorite books and get shut down all the time.

Now that I totally understand. The authors would want it to be done only under their guidance so quality can be ensured. The other thing could be spoiling things from the actual material. I too only want the actual authors to tell the story and watching the show was a really cool experience that could have been ruined had I been spoiled beforehand. I think Code Geass is the perfect example too since the plot is really important and really good, this is definitely a case where they took the writing very seriously.

I will try to only release reasonably high quality mods(exception being a temporary WIP release so I can get feedback learn more & make it better) and fully respect the authors wishes if they do not want their characters in Fallout 4. Also, similarly to other mods these will be as-is, no context from the actual story so there's absolutely no chance of spoiling anything. I would just suggest to people to watch the show if if they want to know more and ask that commentors refrain from spoilers or mark them appropriately if possible. No idea if you can use still use spoiler tags the file comments, I believe they work when you access the file comments directly on forums.nexusmods but I don't know if the spoiler tags themselves will work when you check the actual mod page's comment section.

Edited by fftfan