Do NOT Clean Skyrim Master Files!

Fkemman11

So should everyone that installs Sky go back and verify their game afterwards you think as another step in the install process?

I don't think everyone needs to. Just if something is awry. It's more a trouble shooting step than anything else.

anyways... kinda a well-known thing that you don't clean master files

I have never seen that argument made before when it comes to Skyrim modding. I've only seen people advise cleaning them. Most notably the entire S.T.E.P. Team. I do know that you shouldn't do it for Fallout 3 and New Vegas though. Curious where you got the impression you shouldn't clean them.

Edited by DaddyDirection

So should everyone that installs Sky go back and verify their game afterwards you think as another step in the install process?

I don't think everyone needs to. Just if something is awry. It's more a trouble shooting step than anything else.

anyways... kinda a well-known thing that you don't clean master files

I have never seen that argument made before when it comes to Skyrim modding. I've only seen people advise cleaning them. Most notably the entire S.T.E.P. Team. I do know that you shouldn't do it for Fallout 3 and New Vegas though. Curious where you got the impression you shouldn't clean them.

i have been told several mods end up requiring stuff that would be cleaned so like the FO games dont clean it

i have been told several mods end up requiring stuff that would be cleaned so like the FO games dont clean it

Well, I do know that certain mods themselves shouldn't be cleaned. Some mods rely on "dirty edits" to function. I can't recall any off the top of my head, but I do think one such mod was a fairly popular one. Either way, I do believe that rule doesn't apply to Skyrim's Master Files (the main game and its DLC).

When I verified my files with Steam I had to go back and clean them again. What do you make of that? Also the saves that I have from before I cleaned the files are not stable with the same mods, same load order, same settings. Yet my new game is perfectly stable. I don't get it. How do files just go missing like that? Could the mod manager be responsible?

When you verify your files with Steam if you have cleaned update.esm and the three DLC's Steam will detect that those files have been changed and download the unchanged version of those files. It is highly recommended that you clean those files if you want a stable modded game; of course if you are playing the vanilla game there is no need to do so. However it is recommended that you do not clean any ITM's of other files unless the mod author explicitly says that is okay. LOOT cannot discern whether ITM files are necessary for an esp and will just say that those esp's are dirty, however it is recommended that you do clean any UDR's.

As for Oblivion, Fallout3, and FNV I have always cleaned the master files and have never had a problem running a stable modded game. When I play TTW though you cannot even install the mod if you have cleaned FO3's files and they recommend not cleaning FNV's files, although you can play the mod with FNV files cleaned.

When I verified my files with Steam I had to go back and clean them again. What do you make of that? Also the saves that I have from before I cleaned the files are not stable with the same mods, same load order, same settings. Yet my new game is perfectly stable. I don't get it. How do files just go missing like that? Could the mod manager be responsible?

I didn't have to re-clean them - though it could be because I use Mod Organizer and my cleaned Master Files are safely stored within it as "mods" technically. If your game is stable, I guess there really isn't too much reason to worry about it I guess.

I didn't have to re-clean them - though it could be because I use Mod Organizer and my cleaned Master Files are safely stored within it as "mods" technically. If your game is stable, I guess there really isn't too much reason to worry about it I guess.

That's exactly why you didn't have to re-clean them. Your clean versions were being stored by MO, and the original versions were still in the Skyrim directory. If you clean the original files instead, then Steam will detect that and re-download them.

As for OP, when you do a Steam verify, it also replaces your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini. Maybe it got rid of your edits and that's why it's running better now?

That's exactly why you didn't have to re-clean them. Your clean versions were being stored by MO, and the original versions were still in the Skyrim directory. If you clean the original files instead, then Steam will detect that and re-download them.

As for OP, when you do a Steam verify, it also replaces your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini. Maybe it got rid of your edits and that's why it's running better now?

Thanks for the verification. It should have occurred to me earlier. I suppose that is also why the S.T.E.P. Team heavily suggests MO then. That suddenly makes even more sense now.

• 6 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. My Creation kit has completely died, and refused to run. Three times now of the past year, and always within a day of me 'cleaning master files'. Verifying files in Steam seems to find '4 files' that need repairing.