Wisdom teeth

Lehcar

I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled out soon. :(

I'm kind of sad about it, because there's actually nothing wrong with my wisdom teeth - they're not growing in wrong or otherwise causing any problems themselves, nothing like that. The thing is, some of my *other* molars are really crooked (one is tilted outwards so much that it often irritates the inside of my cheek and I get a lot of sores in that spot), and I need to get braces to straighten them, and the issue with my wisdom teeth is that my other molars won't be able to move and the braces won't work if they're there... so therefore they need to be removed. (I asked about something like Invisalign, but she said that only really works for shifting your front teeth, it can't move your molars because the roots are simply too strong.)

The strange thing is, before my visit to the dentist yesterday when they took a full 360 degree x-ray I didn't even realize I had wisdom teeth. That was a bit of a surprise, since I've had no outward symptoms of it. :wacko:

The dentist said not to worry, mine will be very easy to remove because none of them are anywhere near my nerve, and they're still quite short (not fully formed yet), so it's unlikely I'll have any serious complications. But still, I'm pretty afraid, this is the most serious dental work I've ever had done in my life. Has anyone else had their wisdom teeth removed? What can I expect to happen? What was your experience like? :(

I had 4 out when I was 20 (2up, 2 down). I elected to be put under for the op. When I awoke, I felt terrible and extremely thirsty and pretty confused. After about half an hour I felt better and an hour later I was fine. I'm still confused 20 years later though, lol. Anyway, don't worry about it, modern dentistry is far removed from the bad old days of torture and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck :ohdear::facepalm::thumbsup:

P.S. without wisdom teeth, you may be unable to attain the rank of Jedi Master. Ask for them back, just to be safe :laugh:

Edited by Dazaster

Mine never had to be removed :biggrin:

But I was there when a squadmate of mine got his removed. Lol, he was literally crying, but that was because they were on a nerve, like literally right on the nerve. It took 2 hours because of that.

But it seems you don't really have to worry too much. The farther it is from a nerve, the less pain and time it takes to pull them out.

I was actually lucky enough by the grace of God to not even have wisdom teeth! However, I don't say that to brag, I've already had braces twice (for at least three years total) and the second time I had to get two teeth pulled that were preventing the other teeth from moving back. Worst part was that I was awake the whole time! But hopefully you will not run into any issues my friend. Godspeed.

Getting wisdom teeth pulled wasn't too bad for me (a long way from good though). You bleed for a while after getting them removed and your mouth hurts (and feels a bit gross) but if you get a good oral surgeon to do it and get put to sleep for the surgery it goes pretty smoothly. I had to be put to sleep for it because freezing doesn't affect my lower jaw so fillings are no fun :laugh: . After I had them pulled the pain wasn't even bad enough to need anything heavy to suppress it. I sometimes even forgot to take the Tylenol every few hours. I wouldn't worry about it too much and best of luck to you with the operation :happy: .

But I was there when a squadmate of mine got his removed. Lol, he was literally crying, but that was because they were on a nerve, like literally right on the nerve. It took 2 hours because of that.

But it seems you don't really have to worry too much. The farther it is from a nerve, the less pain and time it takes to pull them out.

He CRIED? I didn't, and mine were complicated and impacted and the roots hooked around the nerve. The oral surgeons opted for a local anaesthetic because I'm asthmatic and they avoid general anaesthetics when possible. It isn't always possible to avoid a GE, but since my dentist had told them that I was really brave, they opted for the giant local shot of novocaine, and no sedation.

Three hours later, it was the surgeon who was nearly in tears as apparently my jawbone was, to quote the poor guy "So tough that I don't think even Mike Tyson could break it". Whilst he was drilling away the jawbone to expose the tooth, the drill bounced out of his hand, fell on the floor and another one had to be plugged in. Funnily enough he decided that after he had finished with me, he was too exhausted to do any more surgery that day and they had to call in another surgeon to do the rest of the list.

That said, I can assure you that I didn't feel a thing at the time and although I had stitches and looked like a rather bruised hamster, I experienced no pain and virtually no bleeding in the aftermath. It was the surgeon who had the headache.

He CRIED? I didn't, and mine were complicated and impacted and the roots hooked around the nerve. The oral surgeons opted for a local anaesthetic because I'm asthmatic and they avoid general anaesthetics when possible. It isn't always possible to avoid a GE, but since my dentist had told them that I was really brave, they opted for the giant local shot of novocaine, and no sedation.

Three hours later, it was the surgeon who was nearly in tears as apparently my jawbone was, to quote the poor guy "So tough that I don't think even Mike Tyson could break it". Whilst he was drilling away the jawbone to expose the tooth, the drill bounced out of his hand, fell on the floor and another one had to be plugged in. Funnily enough he decided that after he had finished with me, he was too exhausted to do any more surgery that day and they had to call in another surgeon to do the rest of the list.

That said, I can assure you that I didn't feel a thing at the time and although I had stitches and looked like a rather bruised hamster, I experienced no pain and virtually no bleeding in the aftermath. It was the surgeon who had the headache.

I've had kidney stones before and cried. Well, that's because they HURT LIKE HELL.

Anyway, yeah, some people (like you) have really tough jaws, and thus the nerves don't really effect anyhting. No pain, no bleeding, nothing.

Heh, I hear the higher in the gum line they are, the more it hurts. Can't confirm though, as I said, I was lucky enough that they won't cause me any problems. I would get them removed just in case, but I hate pain. And because I hate pain, I've had kidney stones around 6 times now, had to have my Apendix removed, fractured several ribs at one point, busted my arm open and had to have stitches all across it, and a few other things.

Again, I HATE PAIN.