I need advice on reinstall without losing mods or save games.

madmedic446

Hi...I screwed something up while playing around in the creation kit.

I think I might have done something to the "WorkshopNPC" (00020593) in the Fallout master file.

I was editing some settlers, and I thought I deleted them from the mod I was working on...but I must have deleted them from the master files, because if I spawn settlers now with the console command: "player.placeatme 00020593 20" It spawns 20 friendly radroaches named "settler".

Anyway, I guess I need to reinstall the game, and all the DLC I have.

How do I do that without losing me save games...my mods...and my mod load order??

Sorry about the newb question. The answer is probably simple, but I have never had to do it....Thus, I don't know how.

Thanks in advance

If you reinstall the game without deleting everything, your next game will crash. Unfortunately, you have to go nuke on this, practically delete everything, mods, saved games and everything related to your game. Go to your local disk ( C: ) or where you stored your game : C:/program files(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/Fallout4 .... and delete the entire folder( right click and delete ) .... go to Documents/My Games/Fallout4 and delete this folder as well .. if it is still there ... in NMM, deactivate and permanently delete all mods. Once you are done with all of that, make sure that you do not have anything left related to Fallout 4 by using the search function in Windows and type Fallout4 and Windows will tell you if there is a folder still active in your system. You can also do that with Nexus but do not delete the NMM itself. Empty your recycle bin and restart your computer. Go to Steam and reinstall your game

Star your game and after you get the mission to go meet Preston ( from your robot ), do a hard save. Start installing your mods again and go from there.

- Once you have all of your mods installed, sort your load order ( once ) via LOOT. This tool will surely advise you to clean the master files. Proceed to do that using FO4edit. Once you finish, open LOOT ( do not sort the list ) and you will see that there are no errors in your load order. Close LOOT. From this point, make sure that you reorder your list according to the mod author's recommendations so this is super important to follow their instructions letter by letter. Once you load order has been established, start playing and I do recommend you to watch the video located in the War of the Commonwealth ( WOTC ) description page. This video will teach you a lot of stuff that you need to know to handle your game. For instance, it is not recommended to add/delete mods mid game unless you follow some steps and it is very well explained in this video so I really recommend you to watch it.

NOTE : Don't worry about your load order. You can have a copy of it. Before you deactivate/delete all of your mods, go to the plugin section of NMM and there is a tab on the left ( 1st on the top underneath the green check mark - Export the Current Load Order - ), click on it and export your load order and save it to your desktop. You will have a copy of your load order and you can mirror that for your next game.

RECAP : once your game is corrupted, unfortunately, it is much better to go nuke. For those who know how to patch the game via FO4edit, deleting the entire game will not be an option but to learn how to use that tool is something that requires a lot of time ( I do not know how to use it yet ). Happy gaming !

Thanks for the replies...It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

I did a game integrity check through Steam, and all is fixed.

I still don't understand what happened though, because If I open the Fallout master with the creation kit, everything still looks the same.

Thankfully I did not have to go with a re-install.

I guess that checking the game's integrity with Steam would repair the damage?

It did...I actually tried that after I posted this thread, and it worked.

I had forgot all about doing that.

This is the first opportunity I had to update the thread, because I was on duty for the last 24 hours.