Advice for playing Morrowind on Mac (OS X 10.6.8)

EldritchNexus

I'm playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on my Macbook, which runs on OS X 10.6.8 and has Wineskin and Porting Kit Legacy. I recently switched to the latter when playing Morrowind.

The wrapper I'm using is set to Windows 8. The game runs fairly well, for the most part, but I have two problems going on with it.

1: The game lags a lot when I'm in a town, settlement, or any place with a lot of people, even when I turned down the resolution, draw distance, etc.

2: Some of the graphics are severely...off. For starters, my character's torso is invisible on the inventory screen. Also, I had to use console commands to put a full outfit on Caius Cosades because his torso and hands looked like they were made of peach-colored crystals. But the WORST had to be Yagrum Bagarn, who looked like he was mutating into a sea urchin (as if being infected with the Corprus disease wasn't enough!).

I'd like to play the game faithfully, so I don't want to resort to source ports like OpenMW (which isn't supported on 10.6.8, anyway) or any mods that drastically overhaul the entire game. Just some mods that could fix the lag and make the graphics look like they're supposed to would be good enough for me. Anyone got any ideas of what to use?

Edited by EldritchNexus

Sorry, I can't help you with your OSX issues, but I would suggest running Morrowind via Bootcamp. That way you can use the graphics extender, code patch etc in their native environment and you can also install MGSO which is a great way to have MW looking great and running stable. That said, you may be able to run those through Wineskin - I'm not well informed there.

You could then run OpenMW as well if you wanted.

Sorry, I can't help you with your OSX issues, but I would suggest running Morrowind via Bootcamp. That way you can use the graphics extender, code patch etc in their native environment and you can also install MGSO which is a great way to have MW looking great and running stable. That said, you may be able to run those through Wineskin - I'm not well informed there.

You could then run OpenMW as well if you wanted.

Okay, I'll take these things into account, though I still want to be as faithful to the original game as possible.

Edited by EldritchNexus

Okay, I'll take these things into account, though I still want to be as faithful to the original game as possible.

I understand your preference here. One of the things I love about MW is its quirkiness - it's slightly annoying but endearing at the same time. The Code Patch fixes fundamental issues with the game by modifying the .exe but doesn't change the vanilla experience as much as improves upon it. IIRC you can also select the vanilla versions of the various MGSO options.