Making mods that use assets from modders who haven't been active for year?

Jinxxed0

I've made a follower mod and want to eventually turn it into a fully voice follower using a voice actor. The thing is, it's a character heavily inspired by a show and the character has a specific outfit. This outfit has been made by a modder already and I myself am not a 3D animator. What I've done is remodeled the armor via Bodyslide to fit my follower's custom body and fixed a few things in Photoshop. I asked the modder if I could use their assets, but havent heard back from them. I looked at their profile and they haven't been active on the website since 2013, though it looks like they added someone to their friends list in 2016, but that's it.

So my question is, am i just out of luck? The mod in question has nothing about permissions and barely has 10 words in the description. It's also their only mod.

I just want to know if should just forget about using the assets before moving forward with my follower mod or if it would be okay to use the assets considering the mooder is no longer active. I'd give credits and a link to the mod of course, but if this is forbidden I wont use any of the assets. If I could, I'd try to make his mod a requirement, but I've already changed all of the meshes and most of the textures.

I've made a follower mod and want to eventually turn it into a fully voice follower using a voice actor. The thing is, it's a character heavily inspired by a show and the character has a specific outfit. This outfit has been made by a modder already and I myself am not a 3D animator. What I've done is remodeled the armor via Bodyslide to fit my follower's custom body and fixed a few things in Photoshop. I asked the modder if I could use their assets, but havent heard back from them. I looked at their profile and they haven't been active on the website since 2013, though it looks like they added someone to their friends list in 2016, but that's it.

So my question is, am i just out of luck? The mod in question has nothing about permissions and barely has 10 words in the description. It's also their only mod.

I just want to know if should just forget about using the assets before moving forward with my follower mod or if it would be okay to use the assets considering the mooder is no longer active. I'd give credits and a link to the mod of course, but if this is forbidden I wont use any of the assets. If I could, I'd try to make his mod a requirement, but I've already changed all of the meshes and most of the textures.

You can't, unfortunately. I mean you technically "can" but people will probably be upset with you about it.

At worst though, you can just leave a link to the original mod and explain your situation. What mod are you referring to anyway?

To echo shingouki2002, you can't. I'll simply add that using assets from another mod without the author's explicit consent in a mod you upload will get you in trouble here on the Nexus.

For more specific info about copyright and permissions, please refer to this thread.

To echo shingouki2002, you can't. I'll simply add that using assets from another mod without the author's explicit consent in a mod you upload will get you in trouble here on the Nexus.

For more specific info about copyright and permissions, please refer to this thread.

I see thanks. I guess I have to wait 96 years? I forget how long copyrights last.

It kind of sucks because it feels like the modder is never coming back. I wish there was some kind of abandoned mod clause that all nexus modders have to agree to or something so you retroactively agree your mod is in public domain after not at least logging on for say 5 years. I dunno. Maybe that's actually a bad idea.

ah well. I'll probably put my follower mod on hold.

Well, if you make your own assets (which will probably require you to learn some new skills) that look at least 34% different from the originals (I think that's the law, not certain) then you can complete your follower and upload them with no problems. Alternately, find some other assets that appeal to you for your follower from another mod author who IS active and get their permission to use them.