ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

New list of things i don't like.. couldn't find my last post..

-Have to navigate multiple pages to get to what i want, rather than drop down search option, select game and hit enter. Now needs to select game (load page), select time frame (load page) select sort by (load page)...

-Cant see when the mod was last updated without going to the mod page. Makes it harder to keep them up to date. (Yes, i know that i can track them, doesn't help me if i stumble across one of my currently installed mods while looking for new ones..)

-Don't like that spinning gear for loading pages. We get it, thousands of mods makes your website slow, but you don't need to remind us.. (no, its not my internet, as i stream 1080p without issue on a regular basis.)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not take kindly to changes to existing stuff, and this is even more difficult getting used to than most. But it looks like I will come to appreciate the changes once I get used to them, sometime next week.

Oh, and thanks on the update as to the status of Vortex.

In response to post #54799858. #54800528, #54805933, #54818428, #54818433, #54834513, #54841248 are all replies on the same post.

vcgrant wrote: On first blush, I find it ironic, and a bit telling, that a web site that owes it's very existence to PC Games and its fans, optimize's it's web design for mobile platforms.
Dark0ne wrote: Why is that ironic? A few people have commented on this and I've yet to have someone explain why it's silly to code a site with mobile optimisation in mind as part of the process.

18% of our traffic comes from mobile. A number that grows every single year as smartphone usage continues to rocket. It would be stupid to do a new design and not take that into account, just like it would be stupid to do a new design and not take in to account the 17% of people who browse the site using FireFox or the 5% who browse using Edge.

With your (and some other users') line of thinking, websites for console games should be most optimised for Televisions, because that's the platform on which you most play console games. Makes no sense, right? How you play your games has no relation to how you browse the internet and finding a happy medium for both desktop and mobile users, that can make both as happy as possible was, and still is, the most prudent course of action.
Rigmor wrote: New site works great with the 0.0001% of "Brave" browser users :P
vcgrant wrote: It is ironic because the functionality that can be had with a web page optimized for a PC processor and graphics is much greater than any mobile platform. Most mobile sites in look and usability are about where computer platforms were in the earliest days of the Net. Most apps are dumbed down to enable them to run on mobile devices and any 3D depth has been lost to flattening everything out to make it smaller and quicker to load.

Bottom line from my perspective, this is a PC site., make it look and play as one.
vcgrant wrote: Double Post
Sonja wrote: While it's very nice that people on mobiles can more easily window shop for mods, when they come to actually download (and install if they're using NMM) them, they will be doing so on PC.
As I have stated, the new layout has really started to grow on me after my initial apprehension; there is much that I like. However, in terms of PC functionality, it does need some tweaking.

Moreover, even if it's steadily growing, 18% doesn't comprise a majority. I'm abysmal at mathematics, but even I can calculate that much. While far too many comments here have been little more than pitchfork level incoherent wailing, gnashing of teeth or just generally rude, there has still been a lot of constructive feedback, and I really hope you guys take it under consideration before releasing a final version. Aside from the obvious benefits to those (the majority) on desktop, this would probably reduce alienation and toxicity dramatically.
fireundubh wrote: Nearly 20% is a huge number of users. If you think that's trivial, I'd hate to see how you run your business.

To be honest, that means the other 80% are PC and Mac users basically(80%>20%). The users that go here with the phone I bet do it basically when they want to interact within the community, being pms, forum, or commenting mods at most. Every other part, from uploading mods to images is done with a PC/MAC, and offcourse the part where you download mods. Being that the main site functionality is (as of now?) uploading and downloading mods, there is not "much" point in giving priority to phones. Most probably the ideal solution would be a phone version with a focus on the social part of the site, with the tile based UI, and a main version focused on PC/MAC and usability on mod uploading/downloading/managing with a more "conventional" UI. At this point this is probably an echo in the wind, as the launch is inminent, but food for thought.

I am enjoying the new layout, even with it taking a little bit of time to get used to. I am noting that using a 64bit Chrome browser, that I frequently click on icons and the click doesn't register the first and sometimes second go around.

Nice layout guys, enjoying the previews much more.

Is there a way (user preference) to make the new design permanent (auto redirect)? Loads of links (internal and external) are still pointing to the old design (URLs) and then choosing to switch to the new design will not take you to corresponding page, but to the main page. Meanwhile I will probably just use a redirect extension in chrome, because the new layout looks and feels very nice.

https://www.nexusmods.com/(.*) --> https://rd.nexusmods.com/$1

The following Redirector Chrome Extension does exactly what I want. And it's free and open source (GitGub).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/redirector/pajiegeliagebegjdhebejdlknciafen

My understanding is that when the new design fully launches it will take on all the old addresses and the links should work. In that case, best not to re-create links (on mod pages) at this time.

In response to post #54799858. #54800528, #54805933, #54818428, #54818433, #54834513, #54841248, #54865923 are all replies on the same post.

vcgrant wrote: On first blush, I find it ironic, and a bit telling, that a web site that owes it's very existence to PC Games and its fans, optimize's it's web design for mobile platforms.
Dark0ne wrote: Why is that ironic? A few people have commented on this and I've yet to have someone explain why it's silly to code a site with mobile optimisation in mind as part of the process.

18% of our traffic comes from mobile. A number that grows every single year as smartphone usage continues to rocket. It would be stupid to do a new design and not take that into account, just like it would be stupid to do a new design and not take in to account the 17% of people who browse the site using FireFox or the 5% who browse using Edge.

With your (and some other users') line of thinking, websites for console games should be most optimised for Televisions, because that's the platform on which you most play console games. Makes no sense, right? How you play your games has no relation to how you browse the internet and finding a happy medium for both desktop and mobile users, that can make both as happy as possible was, and still is, the most prudent course of action.
vcgrant wrote: It is ironic because the functionality that can be had with a web page optimized for a PC processor and graphics is much greater than any mobile platform. Most mobile sites in look and usability are about where computer platforms were in the earliest days of the Net. Most apps are dumbed down to enable them to run on mobile devices and any 3D depth has been lost to flattening everything out to make it smaller and quicker to load.

Bottom line from my perspective, this is a PC site., make it look and play as one.
Sonja wrote: While it's very nice that people on mobiles can more easily window shop for mods, when they come to actually download (and install if they're using NMM) them, they will be doing so on PC.
As I have stated, the new layout has really started to grow on me after my initial apprehension; there is much that I like. However, in terms of PC functionality, it does need some tweaking.

Moreover, even if it's steadily growing, 18% doesn't comprise a majority. I'm abysmal at mathematics, but even I can calculate that much. While far too many comments here have been little more than pitchfork level incoherent wailing, gnashing of teeth or just generally rude, there has still been a lot of constructive feedback, and I really hope you guys take it under consideration before releasing a final version. Aside from the obvious benefits to those (the majority) on desktop, this would probably reduce alienation and toxicity dramatically.
fireundubh wrote: Nearly 20% is a huge number of users. If you think that's trivial, I'd hate to see how you run your business.
Karolus_ wrote: To be honest, that means the other 80% are PC and Mac users basically(80%>20%). The users that go here with the phone I bet do it basically when they want to interact within the community, being pms, forum, or commenting mods at most. Every other part, from uploading mods to images is done with a PC/MAC, and offcourse the part where you download mods. Being that the main site functionality is (as of now?) uploading and downloading mods, there is not "much" point in giving priority to phones. Most probably the ideal solution would be a phone version with a focus on the social part of the site, with the tile based UI, and a main version focused on PC/MAC and usability on mod uploading/downloading/managing with a more "conventional" UI. At this point this is probably an echo in the wind, as the launch is inminent, but food for thought.

Mod users and mod creators together eek out a minority share of any game's player base. Should Bethesda, RED, etc., stop supporting mod users and creators? Maybe developers should make installing and create mods harder or impossible, so they can spend more time on features the majority of their players want? What's the point in building and updating systems and tools for mods when most players don't use them and don't care that they exist?

This is rhetorical and intended to illustrate why nobody competent, given the availability of the necessary resources, designs for a single audience. Edited by fireundubh

In response to post #54799858. #54800528, #54805933, #54818428, #54818433, #54834513, #54841248, #54865923, #54869793 are all replies on the same post.

Karolus_ wrote: To be honest, that means the other 80% are PC and Mac users basically(80%>20%). The users that go here with the phone I bet do it basically when they want to interact within the community, being pms, forum, or commenting mods at most. Every other part, from uploading mods to images is done with a PC/MAC, and offcourse the part where you download mods. Being that the main site functionality is (as of now?) uploading and downloading mods, there is not "much" point in giving priority to phones. Most probably the ideal solution would be a phone version with a focus on the social part of the site, with the tile based UI, and a main version focused on PC/MAC and usability on mod uploading/downloading/managing with a more "conventional" UI. At this point this is probably an echo in the wind, as the launch is inminent, but food for thought.

fireundubh wrote: Mod users and mod creators together eek out a minority share of any game's player base. Should Bethesda, RED, etc., stop supporting mod users and creators? Maybe developers should make installing and create mods harder or impossible, so they can spend more time on features the majority of their players want? What's the point in building and updating systems and tools for mods when most players don't use them and don't care that they exist?

This is rhetorical and intended to illustrate why nobody competent, given the availability of the necessary resources, designs for a single audience.

When I'm on mobile I deliberately use desktop versions of websites wherever possible. The new layout is, functional, but looks terrible and clunky even on a 1080p screen. It seems foolish also to change something for 20% of a customer base, because chances are, it's going to alienate the actual majority. To be fair, I won't ever stop using nexus mods, but this push for everything to look "metro" makes everything look like a shitty gui in an early 2000's flash game.

In response to post #54869798.

Colinpark wrote:

I will say that pictures load much faster, however with skimpy armour mods, sometimes I don't want the pictures showing as I download them with my kids nearby.

This is an issue with authors being unaware of, or refusing to abide with, Nexus rules on nudity. However "block author" and adblock plus are your friends.