New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54750428.

Thallassa wrote:

Yesterday they changed the font:

Set weight to 300 (lightweight) instead of 400 (normal) and increased font spacing to 0.3px.

I found this to be less readable and uglier on Firefox, ok on Chrome (because chrome makes all fonts thick and blurry) and actually better on mobile devices (which have higher PPI).

I'm curious if people prefer the 300 or 400 version. Fhaarkas and Ousnius find 300 to be more readable even on Firefox.

Edit: Actually Fhaarkas is saying he likes 400 now.

300 or 400 really depends on font-family, font-size and purpose.

Personally, I would avoid using font-size 300 on fonts smaller than 16px if you are using it for a larger body of text.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. More flashy half-baked garbage for no good reason. Some of the design decisions are just painfully stupid. "Oh, your mouse is hovering over this element, so you're probably interested in it - let's obscure it as much as possible by darkening it and blocking out the central portion of the image with a useless button!"

I'm assuming the new design is pretty much set in stone now though, so I guess I'll have to get used to it. I don't suppose it's all that important anyway as long as the content is still available.

In response to post #54759353.

slvsaris wrote:

Still missing the recent activity page. The old one was quick and simple, I looked at it most everyday to see what was new and updated, all on one page going back for as long as you wanted to go back.

as well as the "user area" page. well since this is just an alpha release (i presume), let's say they have plans to do all these.

EDIT: oops, they have integrated the user area with the settings page. well...i'm okay with that. Edited by calscks

Kinda reminds me of Skyrims UI it's ugly and it makes my laptop lag, though hopefully if you guys decide to keep it you'll also keep the old layout for us who prefer it. (Honestly the old layout looks nicer + if you guys wanna make the site available for mobile users just do the thing other websites do where people can switch from desktop mode to mobile mode on their phones/tablets + who tf uses nexus on phones/tablets? i understand threads and forums but the whole website it makes no sense?). Edited by Guest

In response to post #54735783. #54750263, #54754653, #54756533 are all replies on the same post.

pacfish wrote:

Once again, the mobile minority ruin an entire website for everyone else just by existing. I'm not even going to keep trying to make my point, it'll just fall on deaf ears anyway.

They aren't a minority, not at this stage of the internet.

forum.nexusmods.com still works like it used to.

Though there is a valid point here... m.facebook.com vs facebook.com <- huge amounts of data, free hosting, no limits on viewing content, completely different sites and designs, able to download massive files (yes you can download your profile, all of it multiple times for no reason). unlimited 'private' messaging, voice chat, group chat, bunch of features, news feeds, following, friends, forums (in the form of a wall) and theyve been around for a similar length of time (they might be 5 years older, but this is a community of resource hackers, texture creators, configuration tweakers, ui developers, and coders - someone out there has to have a real solution.

This update is free mandatory dlc by the looks of it.

NeoNord wrote: Sorry, they are a minority, 18% according to Dark One, that is most definitely a minority, get your facts straight pacfish.
pacfish wrote: I was replying to the comment not what Dark had said.
"once again", meaning it's happened to another site.
"They aren't...at this stage of the internet", meaning all of the internet, not the site.

18% on this site is pretty insane, and I used my phone for the first time to look at this thread through the link that was sent to my email. It takes me to the forum page. Which works fine on mobile and it's pretty easy to use. So I'm even more confused as to why mobile is even being considered for the main site's design unless the goal is to leave the forum site behind.
Dark0ne wrote: I'm confused. What does the forum and mobile have to do with the redesign?

as a software engineer, i'm more than confused too. what's wrong making a site to be friendly on mobile? it's already one from "good web design principles 101" ages ago.

Sorry what is this? Why be mobile friendly? Nobody uses this site on their phone, at least not to download Mods. The whole thing is confusing, poorly planned, like I have to go to a dropdown menu that's hard to find categories because you all have stuck a bunch of adds in between the information. Like why? The eyes are going to be drawn below the ads and will miss those other menu bars that are crucial, it shouldn't take me 5 minutes to find categories, hell it didn't take me more then 2 minute to figure out the old site when I got on, also the slide show sorta thing for hot files was better then this new layout which takes up way more room and presents less information. I want text description not just some pictures. Also the pictures on the hotfiles bar are too small, hard to tell what's going on the picture. Honestly if you wanted to make it more "mobile friendly", which is stupid to do on a PC GAME MODDING WEBSITE make the buttons bigger or something don't try to fix what's not broken. If anything is broken its the forums, I hate them. They're among the most difficult to navigate message boards I have ever been on. So fix the forums before you break what wasn't broken.

Please no... Please please please don't do this... It looks too much like the Windows 10 homepage, and its triggering me. I fought tooth and nail against Windows 10, please don't make it have all been for nothing. Can we just continue to use the old design?

Also second complaint, the uh... Top part with all the drop downs and stuff looks a lot like Bethesda.nets thing they've got going on.

I mean, you know... It's a sleek design and it's easy to navigate and all that jazz... Grrr, I just don't like it's Windows 10 look...

Other than that keep up the good work. I hope the new replacement NMM will come out soon.