New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

I wanted to like it - I've tried to give it some time to adjust to it, but I really dislike the new design.

- It seems less efficient click-wise & scroll-wise.

- Stylistically its as sterile and cold as a Soviet-era apartment complex painted over to look as generically trendy as possible.

- Its so intent on trying to present features and options and things to click to the user that the result is noisy, intrusive, and feels one half-step away from popup autoplay videos

On the plus side, the Tracking Center and user profiles look cleaner.

Overall, there is not enough really 'better' about it, aside from using more of my screen width, to compensate for its negatives. Sorry.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54764888.

aogara wrote: The new design is really nice.
But, i find that the file tab is a bit less efficient that the previous one. I think that it uses too much vertical space and not enough vertical space.
Here are 2 of the alternatives i've worked on that may be more efficient and ease for the eye/brain.
a) File display alternative A
b) File display alternative B

I really like your (B) alternative. Makes the description easier to focus on.

In response to post #54769338.

ScrollTron1c wrote: The new image viewer is great, there is just one issue with the fullscreen mode:

SWHSc9Yc_o.jpg

The scrollbar on the right (green) stays on display, although there is nothing to scroll.

Using Firefox.

I'm using Firefox too and I don't have this issue. I wonder though, how did you manage to display your image without those link overlays ?

In response to post #54769338. #54769758 is also a reply to the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote: The new image viewer is great, there is just one issue with the fullscreen mode:

SWHSc9Yc_o.jpg

The scrollbar on the right (green) stays on display, although there is nothing to scroll.

Using Firefox.

axonis wrote: I'm using Firefox too and I don't have this issue. I wonder though, how did you manage to display your image without those link overlays ?

1. Press the square button for fullscreen
2. Don't move the mouse for ~5 secs Edited by ScrollTron1c

A few suggestions:

- On the file download screens (where you see which file to download if the mod offers multiple choices), it all kind of blends together. A better option might be a list of files similar to the old version with drop down tiles to show the details of each file. The current new design also reduces the number of files you can see without scrolling - drop down tiles would help this, too. If not that, even making the font for the file name a different color and/or larger would be very helpful.
I honestly find the old design much superior on this particular screen - and I would consider this screen one of the most critical screens to be user friendly. It kind of reminds me of when you wonder if Microsoft changed a Windows feature just to change it, because it's definitely not an improvement.

- On the front page, it's much harder to see the separate sections than the old design, Again, it all kind of blends together.

- On our Download History screen, allow us to sort it by the various columns. If a sort option already exists, I didn't see it. It needs to be intuitive, such as clicking on the column header.

- When viewing the various pages/tabs of a mod (Files, Images, Description, etc.), if you click the browser's Back button to get to the original Description page, the web address goes back to the original page, but the content does not. This happened frequently with the old design; but with my limited exploration of the new design, it seems to happen every single time. I'm using Firefox, if that makes a difference, and have no plans to change browsers any time soon.

- On the Posts pages, going to the next/previous page puts me at the bottom of the page; so to read them in any kind of sequence, I have to scroll up to the top of every single page.

- I'm not a big fan of tiles in general, so I have to say I'm not sure I'll ever like the new design better than the old one; but I'll get used to it. Maybe more choices allowing smaller tiles would be a nice option.

- I agree with another post that mentioned that this is a PC game, not a phone game. This design feels like it was intentionally made to be easier to view on a phone, but I think the design should be centered around PC use. Like the other post said, one of my biggest complaints about the original PC version of Skyrim was that the UI was designed for a game system instead of a PC.

- To me, the best part about a new design was to get new or improved functionalities than the old version had, ESPECIALLY in the mod search screens and in sorting methods. As I understand the release notes, new features will be in a future unveiling, so I hope to find some jewels there.

In response to post #54751878. #54752393, #54765313, #54767068 are all replies on the same post.

zhoulia wrote: It was a bit much for me, and extremly hard to understand. Like Deviantart use to be for me. But it is extremely cluttered and triggered both my ADHD and anxiety . Why can´t you endorse mods or is that something that will be replaced with something else? I also think mods should be larger thumbnails then pictures. The layout personally does not flow very well .
ScrollTron1c wrote: The endorsement button is still there, on the bottom-right of the banner image. It also works, i endorsed a mod from Fallout 4 hotfiles earlier today.
zhoulia wrote: It was not there at first but now is, and some files show as unendorsed by me when I clearly clicked them. Bugs probably
GiveSheckelsToGeorgeSoros wrote: How the f*#@ does a website layout "trigger your anxiety"? I'm not taking the piss, just genuinely curious.

Agree 100%

So far i'm lovin the new design, personally i find it way better in all aspects then the old one, i hope you keep it even though all the ppl complaining about it, i'd hate to have to use the old one after getting a taste of this one now :)

In response to post #54764888. #54769383 is also a reply to the same post.

aogara wrote: The new design is really nice.
But, i find that the file tab is a bit less efficient that the previous one. I think that it uses too much vertical space and not enough vertical space.
Here are 2 of the alternatives i've worked on that may be more efficient and ease for the eye/brain.
a) File display alternative A
b) File display alternative B
axonis wrote: I really like your (B) alternative. Makes the description easier to focus on.

B doesn't work for all, because some authors think the download description is where giant banner images should be, like this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73937