New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54779548.

[email protected] wrote: I know some will consider me part of the minority here, but I'm liking the new layout. Some argue it's less efficient. I respectfully disagree. It's far more streamlined. Presents more data up front. The featured mods really "Pop" now. Keep it up guys!

I've read a good number of the comments here. The people who like the new layout are the majority. The people who don't are just very loud. And it's not like Nexus will throw away all that time and money invested in the new site just because some people don't like aspects of the new layout. Edited by fireundubh

I understand why the move, and I understand it's set in stone. So nothing I say is going to change anything, but you did ask for feedback.

If a game is not on my favorites, chances are I don't own it, and either don't want to see it, or just don't want to mod it. So don't show me games I don't own, and have no interest in on my favorites. I only put games I want to see on my favorites, and having to dig into the games list to find the ones I want to see mods for, because they're not sorted to the top of the list because of the number of mods and downloads, isn't better. That said, this one is relevant only to the main nexus mods page, which means nothing because I'll never go there, when I can take my bookmarks straight to the site relevant to the game I want. I do like that when I search for a game it updates in real time to show the one I want without making me reload the page. Good work.

I hope that the limitation to 8 favorite games is a restriction of the dual page layouts, and will go away when the new one is implemented. It honestly never made sense for the much simpler layout to be limited only 8, since each is basically a hyperlink in a stylish font, which isn't exactly the most intensive load on a server. Even I assume if every user simultaneously attempts to open the drop down. I could be wrong, the logistics of servers escapes me sometimes, but still, it's mind boggling the idea that now the much more bandwidth intensive large images are okay to have more than eight, when plain text wasn't.

I neither want, nor need to see 20 news stories. After the first four they're no longer relevant in the slightest, unless I'm going looking. And two of the last four were for a job in another country that's been filled for a couple months now, and a Giveaway. You've redesigned for form which is fine, but you need to also remember not everyone is on a Gigabit/s download connection.

For actual mod pages, IE the single most important thing on the Nexus and the reason for it's existence. (Beyond Dark0ne's good will.) Tab switching both faster and smoother, I approve. Telling me when I last downloaded a file from the mod is probably the best change. This way I can tell if the mod has updated since I last checked the page without having to dig into possibly multiple versions of a mod without any version numbers. A practice too many authors seem to forget, or set once and then don't change from version to version.

Let me collapse things I don't want to see down to a bar. Click a minus button, and all I ever see is a news bar, unless I click the plus button to expand it again. If I'm here for mods, I probably don't want to see the media section, and being able to collapse it and save myself the loading time is useful.

Advertising space needs to dynamically adjust to the ad being shown. There's several inches of wasted screen real estate above and below the ads. I don't mind ads, and have actively gone to the effort of disabling all ad-blocking software. I don't want to lose screen space to empty air around an ad, when I could gain it by enabling the ad-block, preventing you from getting revenue to keep the site going and see the significantly smaller please don't block our ads info block.

In response to post #54751878. #54752393, #54765313, #54767068, #54772278 are all replies on the same post.

zhoulia wrote: It was a bit much for me, and extremly hard to understand. Like Deviantart use to be for me. But it is extremely cluttered and triggered both my ADHD and anxiety . Why can´t you endorse mods or is that something that will be replaced with something else? I also think mods should be larger thumbnails then pictures. The layout personally does not flow very well .
ScrollTron1c wrote: The endorsement button is still there, on the bottom-right of the banner image. It also works, i endorsed a mod from Fallout 4 hotfiles earlier today.
zhoulia wrote: It was not there at first but now is, and some files show as unendorsed by me when I clearly clicked them. Bugs probably
GiveSheckelsToGeorgeSoros wrote: How the f*#@ does a website layout "trigger your anxiety"? I'm not taking the piss, just genuinely curious.
daren420c wrote: Agree 100%

The frontend for a website triggers your anxieties? Good lord.

In response to post #54777603. #54778938 is also a reply to the same post.

FlashFatman wrote: So far I don't like it at all. I can't find my file history, I don't think it is as user friendly as the old one and it reminds me of Steam Workshop. Plus I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I hope you don't get rid of the old version.
Zaldiir wrote: The download history is in the same drop-down menu as before (only now named "Mods" instead of "Files").

I still don't like it, I have to keep going back to the menu to see the tracking. too much clicking now. I liked just bringing up Skyrim SE Nexus and only seeing Skyrim SE Nexus. I don't need to see all the games. Seeing them is not going to make me want to play them. It's just harder to use on a daily basis. Just because they changed it dose'nt mean I have to embrace it. I will use it begrudgingly because I have no choice but I think they should hear the feedback for when they change it next time, and there will be a next time. Yes my grasshopper, there's always a next time.

In response to post #54777603. #54778938, #54784703 are all replies on the same post.

FlashFatman wrote: So far I don't like it at all. I can't find my file history, I don't think it is as user friendly as the old one and it reminds me of Steam Workshop. Plus I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I hope you don't get rid of the old version.
Zaldiir wrote: The download history is in the same drop-down menu as before (only now named "Mods" instead of "Files").
FlashFatman wrote: I still don't like it, I have to keep going back to the menu to see the tracking. too much clicking now. I liked just bringing up Skyrim SE Nexus and only seeing Skyrim SE Nexus. I don't need to see all the games. Seeing them is not going to make me want to play them. It's just harder to use on a daily basis. Just because they changed it dose'nt mean I have to embrace it. I will use it begrudgingly because I have no choice but I think they should hear the feedback for when they change it next time, and there will be a next time. Yes my grasshopper, there's always a next time.

AND it still reminds me of Steam Workshop!

In response to post #54779548.

[email protected] wrote: I know some will consider me part of the minority here, but I'm liking the new layout. Some argue it's less efficient. I respectfully disagree. It's far more streamlined. Presents more data up front. The featured mods really "Pop" now. Keep it up guys!

I've read a good number of the comments here. The people who like the new layout are the majority. The people who don't are just very loud. And it's not like Nexus will throw away all that time and money invested in the new site just because some people don't like aspects of the new layout.

So Have I, and I get the distinct impression, most of the likes are based on looks, while most disliking it, are based on function.

Thus as I'm a contrary sort, I'll dislike it on looks, but it's exactly the same complaint, I had with the old style.

Look ar this Forum, it fills my window, pretty much all of it.

Now look at all the wasted screen area on Old Nexus Mods, about 60% of the screen is a desolate wasteland.

skQKYpr.jpg

There's a slight improvent, on new nexus Mods, only about half the screen is a desolate wasteland.

DDwLqW6.jpg

I haven't got any further in, as this was my main issue with the old site, and it's still here.

Use all the screen to show me your content, whatever size it may be.

As every element now takes up more space, I'm actually seeing less content on screen than before