Alaskan Oil???

DarkWarrior45

America is also part of OPEC, so yes, if they weren't importing as much oil, there would be more available for other countries, and if there was enough of it, they would probably be among those countries supplying. The reason oil prices are so high isn't so much supply and demand, but also because there have been people speculating the price all over the world. If a sudden influx of oil hit the market, the price of oil would drop, and many of these speculators would be in trouble as they get stuck holding stocks which have now plumeted.

The effect on the middle east would be ruining the power game that Saudi Arabia and some other countries have been playing the last few decades. At the moment they pretty much have the world by the balls, and can cause problems just by deciding to limit production for awhile. They, afterall, are still getting money from countries regardless since everyone needs their oil. The Alaskan Oil fields, incase anyone was wondering, are estimated to contain more oil than most of what the middle east has access to. There just happens to be angry protesters and special interest groups, who often have no idea how the world actually works, standing in the way.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another point to ponder: just exactly where is the "Alaskan Oil"? It's my understanding (from potentially biased Canadian media sources) that the bulk of the oil is offshore, in waters where Canada asserts sovereignty (Beaufort Sea, East of the line of the land border if it were extended North into the Arctic Ocean). Does anyone have any detailed information on where this oil is located?

(Note: I only watched the first couple minutes of the OP's linked video).

Another point to ponder: just exactly where is the "Alaskan Oil"? It's my understanding (from potentially biased Canadian media sources) that the bulk of the oil is offshore, in waters where Canada asserts sovereignty (Beaufort Sea, East of the line of the land border if it were extended North into the Arctic Ocean). Does anyone have any detailed information on where this oil is located?

(Note: I only watched the first couple minutes of the OP's linked video).

See that is just it...they arn't sure where it all is..or how much there is...so by all means just go and drill the heck out of everything for a pittance.

America is also part of OPEC, so yes, if they weren't importing as much oil, there would be more available for other countries, and if there was enough of it, they would probably be among those countries supplying. The reason oil prices are so high isn't so much supply and demand, but also because there have been people speculating the price all over the world. If a sudden influx of oil hit the market, the price of oil would drop, and many of these speculators would be in trouble as they get stuck holding stocks which have now plumeted.

The effect on the middle east would be ruining the power game that Saudi Arabia and some other countries have been playing the last few decades. At the moment they pretty much have the world by the balls, and can cause problems just by deciding to limit production for awhile. They, afterall, are still getting money from countries regardless since everyone needs their oil. The Alaskan Oil fields, incase anyone was wondering, are estimated to contain more oil than most of what the middle east has access to. There just happens to be angry protesters and special interest groups, who often have no idea how the world actually works, standing in the way.

Alaskan Oil fields, incase anyone was wondering, are estimated to contain more oil than most of what the middle east has access to.

Show me where this is.

I have read an article that the biggest and most viable source of oil in Alaska...the Chanuk...has estimate by the Shell Oil Company (the Dutch Shell Oil) that this area has about 15 Billion Barrells of recoverable oil. Better than the Gulf of Mexico. But America ALONE uses an estimate 6.6 Billion Barells a year....do the math...how long is that going to last? Geologist estimate that the world wide oil reserves (this includes not drilled) is far less than 100 years...possibly less than 50 years.

Maybe it would solve MY gas issues...but it isn't going to solve my daughters.

We have to STOP thinking short term. I believe these oil fields current and future should stay as RESERVES...like a rainy day fund....and America and the rest of the world need to concentrate on alternative fuels. This is not just corn people. Read up on some of the solar programs the Germans have. There are a million different things out there that if good science is put behind can be made bigger, better and more effecent.

And how about the waste...if you live int he US just look at the freaking SUVs.....I mean come on!

But once you destroy a pristine enviroment....

Yes you are correct...the ANWR has the most oil...according to an article dated 1/24/2008:

According to the letter by republicans attempting to pass laws allowing drilling in these areas, "OCS lease sale 193 is estimated to contain 15 billion barrels of oil and 77 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, for a combined total of 27.8 billion barrels of oil equivalent. ANWR is estimated to hold another 10.4 billion barrels of oil, for a total of 38.2 billion barrels of oil.

so...38.2 billion divided by the 6.6 billion used in the US alone each year...

will last at the current rate less than 6 years. Yes it would double the US reserves. However I stand by what I say...a very very temporary fix.

Again I say that other means need to be sought NOW. It has been and would continue to be this: drill and get the oil...assuming that the US Government doesnt sell to the highest bidder...which it has done...

the price of gas goes down! YAH!!!

The desire to find an alternative goes down with the gas prices.

The world oil estimation according to Wikapedia:

Estimated reserves in order

Countries with largest oil reserves The amount of oil in any particular oil field involves a degree of uncertainty until the last barrel of oil is produced and the last oil well is abandoned. The following estimates are the best that could be obtained using publicly available data, and the confidence in them varies greatly from country to country. Estimates in developed countries are generally much more accurate than those for undeveloped countries. For instance, reserves estimates in the United States are considered highly accurate, while those in Iraq are highly uncertain. In many countries (particularly OPEC producers) the estimates may involve a great deal of political influence. The raw data underlying reserves estimates is considered a state secret in some countries, so independent assessments of their reserves cannot be made.

Summary of Reserve Data as of 2007 Country Reserves 1 Production 2 Reserve life 3

109 bbl 109 m3 106 bbl/d 103 m3/d years

Saudi Arabia 260 41 8.8 1,400 81

Canada 179 28.5 2.7 430 182

Iran 136 21.6 3.9 620 74

Iraq 115 18.3 3.7 590 101

Kuwait 99 15.7 2.5 400 108

United Arab Emirates 97 15.4 2.5 400 107

Venezuela 80 13 2.4 380 91

Russia 60 9.5 9.5 1,510 17

Libya 41.5 6.60 1.8 290 63

Nigeria 36.2 5.76 2.3 370 43

United States 21 3.3 4.9 780 12

Mexico 12 1.9 3.2 510 10

Notes:

1 Claimed or estimated reserves in billions (109) of barrels (converted to billions of cubic metres). (Source: Oil & Gas Journal, January, 2007)

2 Production rate in millions (106) of barrels per day (converted to thousands of cubic metres per day) (Source: US Energy Information Authority, September, 2007)

3 Reserve life in years, calculated as reserves / annual production. (from above)

There is ALWAYS a degree of uncertainty when est oil reserves even in a drilled location (read your geology)

The last number in this list is the important one....it is the est years of reserves. Also you can not know how much can actually be viable drilled until you try.

The largest issue is that oil demand continues and will continue (especially with the rise of industrial China) to outpace production...even with all the "probable" reserves being drilled.

So the fight for resources will continue. The demand for oil will continue to run the price of crude and this will effect immediately he prices at the pump. You are fooling yourself if you think that this would be anything more than sticking your finger in the bursting dam.

Drill in absolute emergency....but leave it alone for now.

The economy's issues are far greater than the price of gas..though as I have stated...it effects everything and hurts poor people much more. However consider the spending to fight the war of terror...I am not saying if I agree or disagree with this...but the government has spent this: from an article to congress from CSR

With enactment of the FY2008 Consolidated Appropriations Act (H.R.

2764/P.L. 110-161 on December 26, 2007, Congress has approved a total of about

$700 billion for military operations, base security, reconstruction, foreign aid,

embassy costs, and veterans’ health care for the three operations initiated since the

9/11 attacks: Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) Afghanistan and other counter

terror operations; Operation Noble Eagle (ONE), providing enhanced security at

military bases; and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

Now how much of that money...as we know has been wasted or not gotten to where it is supposed to have gone (see BBC report) could have gone into the economy...into alternative fuel research...etc.

Going and drilling in Alaska would be an almost useless endevor. Maybe gas prices would drop for a year...but then they would be right back again and nothing else is solved.

I am not a raging enviromentalist....I do not tie myself to trees. But I live in WV where Coal is King. I have seen 1st hand the impact that the search and taking of fossil fuel has on the envirmoment. From strip mining to the Buffalo Creek Flood....there is no going back. And in such a pristine enviroment as Alaska it would be devestating. Not to mention the impact that fossil fuel use has in and of itself.

If you look now there are news articles about oil leaks currently in Alaska.

So...I personally dont think it is near worth it. I will search for other ways to help the economy, save money, save gas (thank god for my Honda!) and hope others in the US will stop guzzeling the world resources and do the same.

Okay Kiddies here it goes, and this is also how it goes and our goverment knows it.

1. Between Russia and The united states, The two countrys could basically make money off of gas that is 50 cents a gallon. We all have enough in reserves and areas we know of that are just waiting to be drilled.

2. Our goverment, ( U.S.A ) knows this, and is waiting for the moment to open our wells up after the fact the Arabs run out. Give it 10-50 years ( 100 million 50 gallon barrels a day, give or take some ) because instead of starting world war 3 with china, we will sorta team up with them because china also has the world by the balls and that isnt gonna change unless they have a very very serious disaster or war that takes out half there population. China is the newest consumer of oil. To advert 1 billion chinese men from attacking america in the next 100 years we are gonna have to do business with them. Therefore we are gonna have to sell oil to them. Not the middle east.

3. Oil is the name of the game since the germans started there blitzkrieg on europe 60 or so years ago. You cant have a fuctional army without it. Oil is what controls the world and who controls oil is who controls the world. America is not stupid enough to let it slip into another countrys hands permantly per say. Thats why we save our oil. Oil is a non renewable resource which means when its gone its gone.

4. Its all about the benjamins. Halliburton, exxon/mobile. Exxon alone made 41 billion dollars in profit in the last 12 months and they are still closing down 800 gas stations because it isnt feasible to keep them open.

5.When we do open our reserves, it isnt gonna be 1.50 a gallon. We will never see 1.50 gallon gas again because people pay for 3.00 gas and even 4.00 gas. The people that own these companys know that now. So therefore there not gonna pass up 5 bllion dollars for 1 billion dollars per say.

6. Iraq isnt about oil, its about us exerting our will in that part of the world for when these times come. In the real true name of war if we wanted to we could end everything over there, right now, without nucklear weapons. The reason i know this is because i know the history of world war 2. When war really mattered. Now it doesnt. Now its just a game Skulls and bones wishes to play to "tweak" the worlds econimy and enviroments to its will.

7. Lil bush's cabinet is gonna attack Iran before he leaves office. To further exert our authority. Its not another Vietnam, its another world war 3. And whats its all about isn't oil. Its about money. And the biggest money producer is oil. We are just to blind and to quiet to say anything about it.

Finally 8. Its gonna happen, its fact and there isnt anyway anybody can stop it. We are just not A conserned people. We dont care because what happens in another country doest effect us. Think again, and watch what happens. Alot of bull will happen very soon. Even worse than the invasion of Iraq. I personally believe the next president and we all know who that will be.....( OBAMA< OBAMA<OBAMA! ) Has good intentions, and seperates him self from the policys of skulls and bones.

The events of the past 8 years should help you understand the power is out of the peoples hand. We have no power. Think of it like this. We are all cattle that make the farmers rich.

We are the food for the vampires. The people have no power.

And if anybody knows it we solved the oil problem back in the 60's and 70's. Solar power, hydrogen cells, and the car, if you ever heard about it......That runs on alchohol. take some gas and some isoprophyl alcohol and lite them on fire at the same time and see which is more combustible. and leaves less corbon emmisions behind.

\World war 4 will be about drilling in the Polar oceans after they melt, Mainly a russian american war over the northwest passage. WW3 is already in the works, mainly over Dollars.

No, the United States is not a member of OPEC and never has been.

http://www.opec.org/library/FAQs/aboutOPEC/q3.htm

Country Joined OPEC Location

Algeria 1969 Africa

Angola 2007 Africa

Ecuador(**) rejoined 2007 South America

Indonesia 1962 Asia

IR Iran* 1960 Middle East

Iraq* 1960 Middle East

Kuwait* 1960 Middle East

SP Libyan AJ 1962 Africa

Nigeria 1971 Africa

Qatar 1961 Middle East

Saudi Arabia* 1960 Middle East

United Arab Emirates 1967 Middle East

Venezuela* 1960 South America

*founder Members

** Ecuador joined OPEC in 1973, suspended its membership from Dec. 1992-Oct. 2007

While the U.S. may have a lot of it’s own oil, it is more expensive to refine & yes I’m sure there are national security reasons for not doing so also.

I’m preparing a summary of the Lindsey Williams video, will post or edit this later.

EDIT:

------------------

My summary of Lindsey Williams’s video, this is not my opinion just what I heard him say (it’s sporadic I’m sorry can’t write very fast).

He served as Chaplain, on the northern sector of the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline for many years.

What we pay at the gas pump is a form of taxation to “them”.

In 1960-1970 Henry Kissinger struck a deal with most of the Arab countries to buy there oil and the following.

1. Denominate the oil prices in U.S. dollars

2. Take some of that money and buy our national debt.

Two counties didn’t sign; Iraq and Iran.

He says that that’s why Bush Sr. went after Saddam Hussein.

He was in a meeting with 8 other men & they were excited about finding a new oil patch at Gull Island in Alaska, the biggest in North America, possibly ever & the America will be energy independent. The next day he was told not to talk about it & that it has just been classified & there will be no oil released there any time soon.

“The standard currency of the world is oil”

Lindsey says “they” had a 30 year plan and it seems to be going just the way “they” planned it.

Ken From in Houston with Atlantic Richfield called him one day touting that crude oil is going to $10 a barrel.

Now we know it has gone up to that.

The 3 largest oilfields are:

1. Saudi Arabia

2. Iraq

3. Iran

It cost $5 a barrel to get oil out of the ground in Saudi Arabia.

It cost $3 a barrel to get oil out of the ground in Alaska.

Who gets the money?

1. The country it came from

2. A middleman “them” & they set the price (& have control)

3. Oil company like Exxon or Shell.

4. The local gas station

Lindsey William says that “them” is the IMF & The World Bank (they have all the power).

He says that Iran has threatened to flood the market with cheap oil & denominate with Eros & this would cripple America.

He also says that if we opened up the Alaska oil the Arab countries would not have to buy down our debt & the U.S. would go bankrupt.

He later mentions another author named John Perkins who has similar views.

------------------

Lindsey blames the high oil prices & some other things on the IMF & IBRD (International Bank for Reconstruction & Development) commonly known as the World Bank.

I did some investigation & found that The United States has a large voice on INF, 16.77 vote.

http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/memdir/members.htm

U.S.’s IMF governor is Henry M. Paulson, Jr. and the alternate is Ben S. Bernanke.

Henry M. Paulson, Jr is also the Secretary of the Treasury

http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/paulson-bio.html

Bernanke is also a Federal Reserve chairman

http://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/...rd/bernanke.htm

It isnt national security interests. It all about the simple fact that the middle eastern oil supply will run out within this century. Why we dont refine our own oil is simple. To many products come from crude oil and if we were to refine oil now and put it in barrels two things would happen. The first is obvious. Aged gas sucks. 2. People would want it if they knew about it.

When the Artic ice cap melts there will be a whole new place to drill for oil. There will be a whole new way of sending stuff to china that cuts out roughly 8,000 iles of travel. What the issue is is the northwest passage. Anybody young enough to remeber what i said about this in 2030 ( if we are all still around ) thats the next big dispute.

And as smart as america is, do you really think we are gonna let another part of the world become as strong or stronger than we are? The key to that is controling the money in the long run.

I notice nobody wants to fess up to what is happening even here on a gaming site because you dont believe it. Watch the news. Read a news paper. The media is telling you what is going on, you just have to read between the lines. I do that with a conservitive point of view. I could sound even more psychotic if i went off about it. But i havent yet. The internet isnt the smartest place to do spmething like that.

Anybody ever watch the movie loose change? How about the 950 billion dollars in saudi gold boulion in the basment during the attacks?

We all know lil bush's cabinet has decived America, And took advantage of the people, We let it happen. Are we going to fix it? I highly doubt it. Our people have grown to content with "it just the way things are".

And to talk about envirpmental issues to alaska if we drill. When the time comes alaska wont matter. Thats the name of the game kiddies. Thats the harsh reality of our world. Tie yourself to a tree and they'll just burn the tree down.....with you. Those "enviromentalist groups" are as powerless as we the people are because they have no warfare and have smudged there image by doing stupid things.

I am a patriot, dont get me wrong, but the harsh reality of the world is america put all its power into a few corporations. I am a patriot of what america was ment to be. Not this. No not this.

My previous post was not my opinion, here is my opinion.

I have little doubt that politicians are influenced by big corporations & not just oil companies.

These companies can afford to have paid lobbyist in Washington D.C. contacting the politicians and in there face constantly. It is only human nature to bend under that kind of pressure most would.

Nothing would please me more than to outlaw corporate lobbyist, I think it dirties the system.

The only other bigger influence is the voters, money talks but politicians live or die by the vote and believe me they pay attention to the election results. They have the demographics of all there supporters (I know someone who handles this kind of information) and what the hot topics are.

I have seen grass root causes make a difference, why? Because they shake up the political balancing act of Republicans vs. Democrats, one side will act thinking that it will tip the scales in their favor & this is really what’s great about America.

We should try to stop burning gasoline for our vehicles as soon as possible.

The oil industry is finally shooting themselves in the foot, for years maybe even decades the automotive industry has not pursued gasoline alternatives (which many have been around for a long time) because they were in league with oil companies and it was not cost effective.

Now the big 3 are hurting especially Ford and they have to do something to sell cars, so if the public wants gas alternatives they are now willing to provide them. This is a line they’ve broken & I think it’s a point of no return now. This part of my opinion is contrary to Lindsey William I know but is what I think and hope.

For the time being though (I heard about this plan & it seems to be the best) we should not buy gas from the biggest oil company, Exxon Mobil.

The thought being is that if Exxon Mobil’s sales go down they will be forced to lower their prices & the smaller companies will follow along (price war).

Archived