Election Year Debate

Aurielius

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wisconsin recall elections returns are in, it looks like a serious defeat for Organized Labor (56% to 45%). It is intriguing that the president never showed up once to assist the Democratic Party machine. Looks like Wisconsin's electoral votes are no longer in Obama's pocket. Three years ago I would have never bet against a second Obama term, now it seems like a much more attractive wager.

Seems that of late, Wisconsin has been more republican leaning in any event. I must say that I AM surprised that the unions didn't do more to get their point across. So much for collective bargaining for government workers eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel it is worth note that Mitt Romney is a confirmed mormon of the LDS church.

I am not going to make a massive wall of text about this.

While I will agree that every religion has it's fair share of skeletons in it's closet, in most cases this is the result of a fundamentalist interpretation of texts or simply somebody bad who happens to have that religion.

In the case of Mormons & the LDS church, practices such as racism, child molestation and anti-feminism are core practices.

Just something to consider.

Edited by Darviela

Does anyone actually like Pakistan at this point?

Osama's compound was a mile or so away from a military base. It is obvious that Pakistan knew of his location.

But of course the nuclear threat is Iran...

Iran is no threat to us. They don't have the military means, nor the technology to threaten us with Nuclear weapons. The entire media hype over Iran is fueled mostly by Zionists AKA Fox News, who have Israel's bests interests ahead of Americas long term interests. Iran is a direct threat to Israel, and only because they are in missile range. Israel will be fine, they got 300+ nukes, and have advanced missile defenses as good as anyone in the world. Any sort of direct invasion into Iran would be a disaster, and completely out of the question, especially in the current economic situation. I don't want to see 50,000 of our people die and trillions more dollars just because Israel feels insecure. I'm sorry but Israel isn't a good enough ally for our nation to go completely bankrupt fighting their wars for them. Best thing I can tell the Israelis if they have to defend themselves, do it, and pull no punches.

China and Russia are more of a threat to the US than Iran, its already proven that both countries have long range missiles aimed at US targets. Does Iran? Not a chance. Does that mean we should attack Russia and China? The Iran issue is and always has been about Israel, and not about them being a threat to us.

Edited by Beriallord

Osama's compound was a mile or so away from a military base. It is obvious that Pakistan knew of his location.

Iran is no threat to us. They don't have the military means, nor the technology to threaten us with Nuclear weapons. The entire media hype over Iran is fueled mostly by Zionists AKA Fox News, who have Israel's bests interests ahead of Americas long term interests. Iran is a direct threat to Israel, and only because they are in missile range. Israel will be fine, they got 300+ nukes, and have advanced missile defenses as good as anyone in the world. Any sort of direct invasion into Iran would be a disaster, and completely out of the question, especially in the current economic situation. I don't want to see 50,000 of our people die and trillions more dollars just because Israel feels insecure. I'm sorry but Israel isn't a good enough ally for our nation to go completely bankrupt fighting their wars for them. Best thing I can tell the Israelis if they have to defend themselves, do it, and pull no punches.

China and Russia are more of a threat to the US than Iran, its already proven that both countries have long range missiles aimed at US targets. Does Iran? Not a chance. Does that mean we should attack Russia and China? The Iran issue is and always has been about Israel, and not about them being a threat to us.

But, they could sell nuclear technology/material to some terrorist organization that would just love to set off some variety of dirty bomb on American soil.... or one of our allies for that matter. That's what all the hullaballoo about their refining uranium is mostly geared towards.

Doesn't seem to matter that we could easily figure out where the material came from, and then exact retribution for any such attack...... The war machine needs another bank roll. Iran has been marked as the next likely target. Nothing like a good invasion to get the bucks rolling in for the military-industrial complex.

But, they could sell nuclear technology/material to some terrorist organization that would just love to set off some variety of dirty bomb on American soil.... or one of our allies for that matter. That's what all the hullaballoo about their refining uranium is mostly geared towards.

Doesn't seem to matter that we could easily figure out where the material came from, and then exact retribution for any such attack...... The war machine needs another bank roll. Iran has been marked as the next likely target. Nothing like a good invasion to get the bucks rolling in for the military-industrial complex.

There is already that threat, and it won't even be from Iranian sources. Much nuclear material from the Soviet Union, as well as many nuclear weapons are unaccounted for.

In the greater scheme of things, Iran just doesn't seem like a substantial threat, certainly not worth invading and putting boots on the ground, spending 10s of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars on another war. I'd classify a substantial threat something like a Nazi Germany. Or any other potential super aggressive military power, invading/attacking countries left and right. If they think they can sneak a B2 in there and take out their reactors, that is about as far as I'd be willing to go. But they are only delaying the inevitable. As time goes on there are going to be lots of countries we don't like getting their hands on nuclear weapons, which is already dated technology by our standards. And according to Murphy's Law, a nuclear attack made again in the future will also be inevitable. its worth trying to delay as much as is reasonably possible, but risking high amounts of blood and treasure only to delay the inevitable is not in the USA's greater interests.

Edited by Beriallord

I agree with you. Iran is the least of our worries. But, our government doesn't seem to. So, they either know something we don't, which sways their opinion, or, some folks are just agitating for another war. My guess is, the latter.....

I agree with you. Iran is the least of our worries. But, our government doesn't seem to. So, they either know something we don't, which sways their opinion, or, some folks are just agitating for another war. My guess is, the latter.....

As much as I like Iran and the Iranians (visited Tehran in the early 60's) they are our biggest near east foreign policy headache and we will have to deal with their desire to become another nuclear power BEFORE they actually put a weapon in operational status, since after will make our desires moot. Just being pragmatic, though I wish that was not necessary but probably it will be.