Goodbye Preston

Stronglav

Depends on the mods you use, I guess. And how much time you spend near him. If you just walk briskly and don't make eye contact, you may be able to get by, but if you make the mistake of sitting there at the gun workstation in Sanctuary long enough, agonizing over whether you need a receiver or a barrel more, the twits start actually coming to you.

Like, I'd just stand there minding my own business, just trying to concentrate on the scrap costs for the different upgrades for the different weapons, and I swear to Atom, I'd get Sturges standing in the doorway, going in a loop:

"Can it wait?"

"Sorry, I'm a little busy right now,"

"Can it wait?"

"I'm busy."

Well, fer fork's sake, don't let me stop you...

And just when he finally walks off and I think I can get back to my own business, Marcy gets parked by...

"Do I look like I want to chitchat?"

"What gave you the idea we're friends?"

"Sure, let me just stop what I'm doing to talk to you... I'm being sarcastic, leave me alone."

"I'll stop complaining when there's nothing left to complain about."

"What gave you the idea we're friends?"

GAH! THEN DON'T! I'M NOT MAKING YOU!

Then Preston comes along compliments me on finally making a modification, goes "at least it's not raining" twice (I know, I made the mod to stop the rain:p), and then gives me another quest.

Yeah, Preston, let me dazzle you with the amazing illusion that I'm not THIS close to losing my s**t and decorating the tree with your guts...

And THAT's how I learned to not put beds in the house with the workstations, where they get to go past me every morning and evening. Plus, honestly, trolls live under bridges, right? So I put four mattresses under the bridge and assigned them to Preston, Sturges, Marcy and Jun :tongue:

Well, then when that still didn't stop Marcy from chasing me down to abuse me, I sent her away with the royal huntsman anyway, and got to eat a nice fried heart for dinner. (Well, really "markfordelete", but I like to think the royal huntsman was involved;))

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mechanist's layer works too, if you've killed the mechanist. There's really not much reason to ever go there again.

I agree with this... Mechanist Lair has no food, water, little light and space, noisy factory and rusted scrap metal everywhere... It's a perfect place for Preston and his bunch.... Plus 88 is one of my favorite settlements.

The mechanist's layer works too, if you've killed the mechanist. There's really not much reason to ever go there again.

I agree with this... Mechanist Lair has no food, water, little light and space, noisy factory and rusted scrap metal everywhere... It's a perfect place for Preston and his bunch.... Plus 88 is one of my favorite settlements.

Open the console (if on PC) when standing in front of the Machanist Lair's workbench, click on the bench so that its reference number shows on screen and then type addkeyword 00246f85 and hit enter. Now, the workbench is unlocked and upgraded to a fully working one with the ability to add water and crops.

The above code is in fact the one to upgrade the Boston Airport workbench to a fully functioning one but also works for the Mechanist's bench.

Not usable on Homeplate, mind. For that one you need to add addkeyword 5aoc8. Not advidable to add a radio beacon since there's no real room to accomodate settlers and crops nor water.

Open the console (if on PC) when standing in front of the Machanist Lair's workbench, click on the bench so that its reference number shows on screen and then type addkeyword 00246f85 and hit enter. Now, the workbench is unlocked and upgraded to a fully working one with the ability to add water and crops.

The above code is in fact the one to upgrade the Boston Airport workbench to a fully functioning one but also works for the Mechanist's bench.

Not usable on Homeplate, mind. For that one you need to add addkeyword 5aoc8. Not advidable to add a radio beacon since there's no real room to accomodate settlers and crops nor water.

But that requires EFFORT!!! I don't want to do that...

But that requires EFFORT!!! I don't want to do that...

You can always invite someone over to do it for you. Hell, you can even let someone else play the game in your stead. Unless watching that is also too big an effort... :P

Well, for some of us it's not as much that I'm too lazy to deal with the console or make my own mod that changes that workbencg -- I'm quite good at either, in fact -- but rather that it's not worth the effort to deal with yet another settlement anyway. Honestly, it was fun the first time around, but in the meantime... let's just say that 99% of the reason why some of us would rather not have Preston clog the quest log with settlement quests in the first place, is that we have ZERO interest in having every single settlement on the map.

Honestly, if managing settlements is your thing, for RP reasons or whatever other reason, more power to you. BUT there comes a moment when you do the maths and really realize that they come so over-balanced, that they're actually a net loss in the game. A huge one, in fact.

Vanilla, they have SO low a cap on resources they can hold, that WTH is even the point of wasting perk points to connect them? Unless you do a grand tour regularly to pick every single piece of scrap and bottle of purified water, they'll just get capped and not produce anything any more.

Vanilla, they produce that scrap at a homeopathic rate anyway, and not at all while you sleep or such, that most settlements will really never pay for themselves. Just the amount of resources that into reaching 150 defense so you don't have to defend them every 2 days, is going to take ages to get back even if you have a dozen guys manning scrap stations.

Vanilla, for the same effort I'd put into getting an ugly-ass settlement by hauling scrap there to build it, I could sell the stuff and have better equipment anyway.

The broadcast tower mechanic is also annoying AF, because essentially I get to go babysit it some more every couple of days, or watch them get butthurt that the nanny player didn't come and personally put a sleeping bag under a tarp and assign it to them.

It doesn't help that some of the cells are so small (e.g., Tenpints Bluff) or have pathing problems (e.g., Hangman's Alley) that it's essentially not just the chore of having to go there every few days, but a chore to make it FIT the constraints every fit days.

Vanilla, the happiness mechanic is utterly broken for larger settlements. Unless you actually go there periodically and cause the cell to be loaded, the broken script forgets to assign them beds and whatnot, so happiness starts to drop if you don't go there all the time instead of playing the damn game.

Etc.

And sure, in the meantime there are mods to fix some of that, to some extents, but meh, too late for me to give a crap about settlements any more. In fact, I can give less crap about it by now than the daedric prince of constipation :wink:

So could I fix the workshop there? Sure. Hell, I already have the mod that fixes it. Do I really need another settlement to babysit? Well, see above. I'd need a strong laxative to give a crap about yet another set of whiny settlers.

...()...Honestly, if managing settlements is your thing, for RP reasons or whatever other reason, more power to you...()...

I had 84 settlements in my last run-through and all the vanilla ones were expanded, with the Mechanist's Lair and Boston Airport's WorkShops unlocked, so, yeah, I kinda like building all over the place :smile: