HELP! Riften is locked and I can't get in!...Bug?...Glitc

debieblue

Needless to say I am about to rip my hair out by the roots if I can't find a solution to this maddening situation. I cannot get into the city of Riften, no way, no how, and I have tried everything I can think of. I am not alone here...many players have come up against this inigma, but no solution has been found that I can find. As it stands, the two gates into the city remain "locked" and the guards standing duty there will not open them or dialog with me in any way to allow me to pass. The gates need a "key", and cannot be picked, nor do the gurads have a "key" on their person.

One guard at the South gate tells me to "Halt...no addmittance to rifraff...go to the North gate if you want to enter...those are my orders...to tell everyone to enter by the North gate." Additional dialog on this one guard at the South gate comes up inwhich I can either "Persuade him, Bribe him, or Intimidate him", ....and I have done all to no avail. So I killed them both for the key to open the door...they have no key. I went as they commanded back to the North gate (again), thinking that in speaking to this guard at the South gate, something might have now been triggered at the North gate. So I approached the two guards there, a male and a female...(I have been told there are supposed to be two male guards, not a female), and they do nothing but ask "What do you want?"...and no additional dialogue is offered.

I have read in other forums to 'sneak into the city' through the meadery...Um...the Blackbriar Meadery is INSIDE the city with no OUTSIDE entrances located. I have also been told to have one of the many "Unknown Gems" which are found throughout the land in my inventory, which will trigger a quest line for the Thieves Guild (even the game guide states this), which is what I am after in the first place here, since I am an 'assassin, sneak thief'. Sadly however, the NPC who triggers this questline pertaining to these gems, as are the many other NPC's who trigger the Thieve's Guild quest line, are located INSIDE the city gates.

The guard DOES NOT tell me I need to pay a "tax" to get in...he says nothing but "What do you want?". There is no dialogue triggered when I approach the gate from the North, only the South as stated above, and that is limited and goes nowhere.

I have no idea what to do...I do not want to wait for "A Cornered Rat" quest line to start for it is further down the road in doing the Main Quest Line than I want to go right now, and according to many write-ups and even the game guide...you can start the "Thieves Guild Quest line at any time" and do not have to wait. It is even better according to the guide, in that being an assissin type, that you NOT wait, but jump in as soon as you can.

Can someone please help me to get into this infernal city by other means than getting arrested for a crime?