Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

Is there any way to switch to a single-column view when browsing the top files of a game? If not, that's my only complaint about the new site. It doesn't seem like much, but constantly flicking your eyes back and forth while scrolling through the list is a bit annoying and actually quite a lot more straining than scrolling through a single column as on the old site, especially given how large the tiles are. I know this seems like an absurd nitpick, but it's more significant than it sounds and enough to make me definitely want to stick with the old site for now.

Caveat: You can get a single-column view by ctrl-zooming in a lot, but then you have the same eye-flicking between the thumbnail, title, and description because everything is so large.

Edited by cyrusdexter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of amazon is generally buying things. The purpose of Nexusmods is to download mods for PC games.

There isn't a market here other than ad revenue, supporters, and premium members. Your argument makes more sense for things that could be more cross-platform, such as iTunes or whatnot(though even that has a separate design for PC and mobile, which really does not help with the credence of your argument), where there is a specific interest in keeping things multi-platform; just as people play music on their phones, they can do the same in their PC.

However, there is no PC gaming on the phone. I can not download the halamshiral ballgown dress for my Dragon Age 2 character on my phone. I can do it on my PC, and I can only do it on my PC. I can not take screenshots of my PC from my phone(unless I wanted to be extremely inefficient ), and then upload it to Nexus-mods(unless . . . Inefficiency.) This is a site whose very purpose lies in modifications for PC games. Whilst you can say that thinking otherwise is "lacking in vision", I think you're coming from a standpoint that is completely bypassing the reason for this website.

In the end, the only need for a mobile design is to access the forums or to look at text-based materials. Therefore, if Dark0ne wanted a seperate, mobile-based design, that would be somewhat intuitive, if the amount of people doing such is large enough(though it's still possible on the phone, just a bit clunky). However, in making a mobile-based design for a PC-dominated website that operates entirely on PC modifications, it's completely counter intuitive. You flip the situation so that it's designed for phones, and it's the PC's that are faced with things that are possible, but very clunky.

The fact of the matter is that a vast majority of functions for this website are only accessible for PC's. This update has made the social aspects, such as image browsing and commenting, quite a bit more inconvenient; that, I can freely accept, it's just a minor part of the website. But, this new design has made the core of the website, mod browsing, very infuriating. If this were a new design for an amateur modding site, okay, I can accept that. But it's not. When we have an older system that actually works better, of course you're going to have people like myself clamoring for it to go back. The old design worked, and it worked better, and to have us shoved back with features such as mod categorization made broken in the old design, it's really just not good.

This is why the old design should be the default for PC's. If someone accesses the website from a mobile device, the new design is more suited to that. However, it is less functional and less convenient than the old one, so the outraged is justified. As I said, the change is much more than aesthetic. The way one uses the website is changed quite a bit, and from my experience, it is a very negative change.

Edit: I take back the broken categorization comment about the old website. It's been fixed.

Thank you

Came back here after a while and noticed that some people are still complaining about the site redesign. Honestly, I am impatient to have the new one be the default.

The constant refrain 'can we have the choice to keep the old one' betrays an ignorance of just how much work goes into the design and upkeep of a site as big as Nexus.

It certainly does not feel like a mobile site but seems at least to consider that's how someone might choose to browse. That's good design and good judgement.

I suspect the vast majority of visitors to the Nexus will feel the site is cleaner, clearer, more functional and less make-do-and-mend than the older design.

I also suspect that the vast majority will remain silent and just keep on using and loving the site as they always have.

Hopefully Dark0ne will not allow the wholly predictable mock outrage and silly drama of a comment section to affect the progress of a long overdue overhaul of both of the site and the mod manager. And thanks to him for such a wonderful and free resource.

Edited by DominickHide

No, and he's already said on the previous page or two that (and I'm paraphrasing here) they do listen, and they undoubtedly will change some things that clearly aren't just purely aesthetic just to increase functionality, but these are things that take time to incorporate as this site isn't his day job.

And DuChene, Só em inglês, por favor. Não falamos português aqui. :)

Read back about two pages. Dark0ne gives an explanation there. It's too expensive to do because it's two different websites to maintain with different functionalities that would have to be juggled, and mod authors would have to make two different mod pages.

ain-t-nobody-got-time-for-that-t-shirts-

:P

How is there two different mod pages? The .old url works fine. The new and old designs display mods as they should, and there's no issues, whatsoever. If Dark0ne can't maintain two, then the new one should be scrapped because it's abysmal, the new design should be an option for phone users, because that's what it's made for.

The old web page will be shut down once everything is ported over. He's already said this. And I have a feeling the new design is meant to integrate with Vortex better.

The question of why he decided to build a site made for both pc and mobile begs another question: What else is coming in the future that requires mobile? He may have plans to integrate the forums better than Tapatalk does.

In response to post #55597599.

twowolves80 wrote:

Read back about two pages. Dark0ne gives an explanation there. It's too expensive to do because it's two different websites to maintain with different functionalities that would have to be juggled, and mod authors would have to make two different mod pages.

ain-t-nobody-got-time-for-that-t-shirts-

:P

It depends on Dark0ne's priority's. Scrapping the new design would be ideal for many modders, if he listens to people he would probably be aware of it. Forcing something has never worked and never will, just look at EA's example.

This is really quite disconcerting, because I enjoy my continued ability to use the old design, and I am extremely weary of having to use the new one, which I have come to heavily dislike after having used it since it became the default. I really hope Dark0ne changes his mind, and either keeps the old site or does scrap the new one, because the new design is not good, due to the aforementioned reasoning I have stated on the prior pages.