Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55668576. #55669996, #55675386, #55676771 are all replies on the same post.

Wintermane555 wrote: I hate this new layout. I keep closing the "View New Layout" bar at the top, because I prefer the old layout. Now, after I log onto my account, there is no option to keep the old layout. There is nothing under account preferences, and no other mention. How do I get my old layout back? Why not allow us the CHOICE of which one to use? One size does not fit everyone, and looking at the comments below it seems I'm not the only one. Many sites offer multiple layouts with the same content served up through the backend database. Why not allow us the option?

So, judging by the number of negative posts about the new layout, are you going to actually listen to your users, or just tell us to screw like most of the game developers? I'm curious since you seem to be rolling full steam ahead with "phase 2" regardless of the comments?
NickSheperd wrote: The site admin has already basically said "f*** you." And made the new layout mandatory. People are standing around, scratching their heads and wondering, "Why the new layout anyways?" No one really knows why they decided to up and change.

The saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Applies here perfectly. I can appreciate wanting to improve the looks of an older website, but sheesh. Needless to say, they went way overboard here and mucked the whole thing up.

TL'DR: We aren't getting the old layout back, no matter how many people on the site complain about it.
Ethreon wrote: 1. There's an entire bloody article stating the change comes and why. The testing grounds have been public for a few months now and you had and still have the possibility to offer ideas on how to improve the new layout. People scratching their head usually have nothing in it.

2. It was broken. They're not changing it cause Dark0ne has too much money and wants to throw it on nonsense.
NickSheperd wrote: I don't really pay attention to the news section because 9 times out of 10 it's stuff that I don't care about at all, so I likely missed that article, I'll go find it.

As for suggestions for improving the new layout? Easy, switch it back to the old one. If it was so "broken.", then why did it still function perfectly fine for the entire userbase?

NickSheperd, you can make all the excuses you like, or blame the users because they didn't read some posting off of the news tab, but it's clearly unpopular and we're not in the minority here, you are.

What good is it to ask for "ideas" when it seems that the overwhelming consensus is "it's fine the way it is, leave it alone"? What problem is this change meant to solve? You say it was "broken", but in which way? How will it be "fixed" by changing the presentation layout? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing.

If it's not broken, and people like it the way it is, why force the change? Nor is it necessary. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Offer multiple layouts and allow people to choose the one they like best, including the original. This isn't 1990, the pages are not static. The data is powered with a database backend. Many sites allow multiple layouts, so why should this site be any different? Especially considering how popular the site is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55668576. #55669996, #55675386, #55676771, #55766326 are all replies on the same post.

Wintermane555 wrote: I hate this new layout. I keep closing the "View New Layout" bar at the top, because I prefer the old layout. Now, after I log onto my account, there is no option to keep the old layout. There is nothing under account preferences, and no other mention. How do I get my old layout back? Why not allow us the CHOICE of which one to use? One size does not fit everyone, and looking at the comments below it seems I'm not the only one. Many sites offer multiple layouts with the same content served up through the backend database. Why not allow us the option?

So, judging by the number of negative posts about the new layout, are you going to actually listen to your users, or just tell us to screw like most of the game developers? I'm curious since you seem to be rolling full steam ahead with "phase 2" regardless of the comments?
NickSheperd wrote: The site admin has already basically said "f*** you." And made the new layout mandatory. People are standing around, scratching their heads and wondering, "Why the new layout anyways?" No one really knows why they decided to up and change.

The saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Applies here perfectly. I can appreciate wanting to improve the looks of an older website, but sheesh. Needless to say, they went way overboard here and mucked the whole thing up.

TL'DR: We aren't getting the old layout back, no matter how many people on the site complain about it.
Ethreon wrote: 1. There's an entire bloody article stating the change comes and why. The testing grounds have been public for a few months now and you had and still have the possibility to offer ideas on how to improve the new layout. People scratching their head usually have nothing in it.

2. It was broken. They're not changing it cause Dark0ne has too much money and wants to throw it on nonsense.
NickSheperd wrote: I don't really pay attention to the news section because 9 times out of 10 it's stuff that I don't care about at all, so I likely missed that article, I'll go find it.

As for suggestions for improving the new layout? Easy, switch it back to the old one. If it was so "broken.", then why did it still function perfectly fine for the entire userbase?

Wintermane555 wrote: NickSheperd, you can make all the excuses you like, or blame the users because they didn't read some posting off of the news tab, but it's clearly unpopular and we're not in the minority here, you are.

What good is it to ask for "ideas" when it seems that the overwhelming consensus is "it's fine the way it is, leave it alone"? What problem is this change meant to solve? You say it was "broken", but in which way? How will it be "fixed" by changing the presentation layout? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing.

If it's not broken, and people like it the way it is, why force the change? Nor is it necessary. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Offer multiple layouts and allow people to choose the one they like best, including the original. This isn't 1990, the pages are not static. The data is powered with a database backend. Many sites allow multiple layouts, so why should this site be any different? Especially considering how popular the site is.

broken?, you must be insane to call the old design broken. I've been using it for years and it's been functioning just fine. The same can't be said about this new layout, but yea, the old design was "broken" I suppose, in whatever backwards meaning you take it for.

In response to post #55304988. #55305788 is also a reply to the same post.

jakxzero wrote: How do I select the new layout permanently? It might be cofusing for some at first but I think overall the design is great and more cool looking.

pacfish wrote: The site addresses are the same except put the prefix "rd" in front of nexusmods.com all the directories on the site are still the same. So rd.nexusmods.com/fallout3/news13353 is the same as nexusmods.com/fallout3/news13353.

You could also do some network hack to forward you to rd.nexusmods.com and if the site doesn't return anything to then forward you to nexusmods.com (this would indicate that the change is final). This will cause pages to load slower though. Would be really cool to see the rd site to be the 'beta' version of the site after this is moved to the stable release. It could seriously just forward the person to the new version but Dark would need to be the one to make this change.

You can install the Redirector browser extension (available for Firefox, Chrome and Opera), then save the following as JSON and import it into the extension:

{
	"createdBy": "Redirector v3.1.1",
	"createdAt": "2017-12-06T16:18:05.244Z",
	"redirects": [
		{
			"description": "New nexus",
			"exampleUrl": "http://www.nexusmods.com/",
			"exampleResult": "https://rd.nexusmods.com/",
			"error": null,
			"includePattern": "^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9+-.]+)://(?:www.)?nexusmods.com(/.*)",
			"excludePattern": "",
			"redirectUrl": "https://rd.nexusmods.com$1",
			"patternType": "R",
			"processMatches": "noProcessing",
			"disabled": false,
			"appliesTo": [
				"main_frame"
			]
		}
	]
}
Edited by ExEBoss

In response to post #55668576. #55669996, #55675386, #55676771, #55766326, #55777051 are all replies on the same post.

Wintermane555 wrote: NickSheperd, you can make all the excuses you like, or blame the users because they didn't read some posting off of the news tab, but it's clearly unpopular and we're not in the minority here, you are.

MrChinCheese wrote: broken?, you must be insane to call the old design broken. I've been using it for years and it's been functioning just fine. The same can't be said about this new layout, but yea, the old design was "broken" I suppose, in whatever backwards meaning you take it for.

Winterman who are you talking to? You say my name, but your response doesn't match anything I said. You're responding to Ethreon's points, not mine.

In response to post #55792936.

mikebug wrote: I tried to mention this yesterday but my post has vanished?

When I open this page (or others like it):
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/newtoday/

The color of the font makes it almost totally unreadable against the background - this is not a good thing. Pleeeeaaase change it to something readable.......

Screenshot please? What I see there is very light grey text on a dark grey background (better then in the comments here). The light grey text over the purple buttons is not ideal, but they did darken the purple down a bit, and it is readable now. However, it was very annoying before they darkened it some. Try shift-reload to make sure you are not looking at cached content when you look at that page.

Edit: I do see, however, that the mods displayed under 'New Today' on the front page of a game are not displayed when you go to the Mods tab, and select 'Today's Mods'. The latter is nearly empty (2 mods), while the former shows 17 now, for Skyrim. In SSE the 'Today's Mods' page is entirely empty. *sighs* One more bug to report then. Edited by Eolhin

In response to post #55792936. #55793511 is also a reply to the same post.

mikebug wrote: I tried to mention this yesterday but my post has vanished?

When I open this page (or others like it):
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/newtoday/

The color of the font makes it almost totally unreadable against the background - this is not a good thing. Pleeeeaaase change it to something readable.......
Eolhin wrote: Screenshot please? What I see there is very light grey text on a dark grey background (better then in the comments here). The light grey text over the purple buttons is not ideal, but they did darken the purple down a bit, and it is readable now. However, it was very annoying before they darkened it some. Try shift-reload to make sure you are not looking at cached content when you look at that page.

Edit: I do see, however, that the mods displayed under 'New Today' on the front page of a game are not displayed when you go to the Mods tab, and select 'Today's Mods'. The latter is nearly empty (2 mods), while the former shows 17 now, for Skyrim. In SSE the 'Today's Mods' page is entirely empty. *sighs* One more bug to report then.

I'm probably being dumb.....how do I upload a screenshot?