oblivion over skyrim

gengar807

all i can say dude is welcome to the party...most of us agreed that skyrim just got really boring

so your not the only one...whats weird is that most of us got board around at level 40 or 50.

that would have been a great post if you posed it on my other topic called skyrim getting boring...

Edited by gengar807

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karasuman really hit the nail on the head with the remark about Skyrim not feeling revolutionary for its time compared to Morrowind and Oblivion. :thumbsup:

I also think it could safely be said that there's been minimal evolution since Oblivion in terms of size and content and gameplay. And, in some cases, a bit of regression :unsure:

Anyway, I love Oblivion and I dislike Skyrim. I uninstalled it quite some time ago and have no intention of going back - no matter what mods come along for it. The grim and desolate feel of Skyrim is definitely not to my taste. Most of the things which I was very happy with in Oblivion were either removed or butchered in Skyrim.

It's an odd one to bring up first, but the horse riding in Oblivion was fantastic. The only thing Skyrim did better was giving the horse some momentum instead of having it come to a dead stop. But, that aside, Oblivion's riding was infinitely more enjoyable than Skyrim's.

The camera in Skyrim was a definitely step backwards. The lack of proper vanity cam, the off-centre target. Ugh. :wallbash:

Despite Oblivion having a less than perfect UI, at least it WORKED. Skyrim's was more of a UUU: useless, unresponsive, ugly.

The character creation is a weak spot in both games. Without mods, neither is ideal. However, I never thought I'd say this, but I actually think Oblivion's - in all its fat faced glory - is preferable, since it has far more sliders. In both cases though, it's poor at best and the hairstyles in each game are appalling.

While this next one is merely personal bias, I thought Cyrodiil was infinitely more beautiful than Skyrim. And more diverse.

I must say, I can't agree with those who said the graphics were much better in Skyrim. I think SOME are, but most really show the results of a shitty port and the vegetation and grass in particular are exceedingly poor and low quality.

The few areas where Skyrim comes out on top would be armours, flowing water, lock picking, northern lights, dragons, and...er....hmmm.... :unsure:

Overall, Skyrim just feels like all the hype about improvements was a pile of...hmmm...sour Nirnroot. :tongue:

To each his own, but for me Oblivion absolutely has the most longevity and - even in its Vanilla state - it's my personal favourite in the series. :biggrin: As it is, there's something between Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim to suit everyone. Doesn't matter if we don't agree on the 'best'.

More than anything, these games owe a major portion of their entertainment factor to mods.

:thumbsup:

Skyrim was great fun and was more addictive than any known drug... but as soon as I ran out of things to do interest in the the game went plop. With Oblivion, I was able to keep creating characters and trying new stuff - somehow, its replayability was so much higher. I'm not sure if it's Oblivion's mods - I didn't actually use that many, but the ones that I did use I really enjoyed.

As for Skyrim looking too bleak, I agree (though admittedly it's a personal preference). If it hasn't already been done, I'm sure it would be easy to give Skyrim some bright colours since it's already been done in one of the quests:

After inhaling the fumes at Peryite's shrine, the world becomes very colourful indeed.

It would be nice to frolic around in a "Sound of Music" type setting. :)

You can sum up your question by saying that an ideal TES would be the engine of Skyrim in the setting of Oblivion. Skyrim's magic is better, but it needs more spells (ONE Transmute? Seriously?). The main bonus of Oblivion is that there are 200x more mods out there for Oblivion than for Skyrim.

Skyrim was great fun and was more addictive than any known drug... but as soon as I ran out of things to do interest in the the game went plop. With Oblivion, I was able to keep creating characters and trying new stuff - somehow, its replayability was so much higher. I'm not sure if it's Oblivion's mods - I didn't actually use that many, but the ones that I did use I really enjoyed.

I agree, and I'm starting to think I should reinstall Oblivion after all. I'm spending week after week trying to customize Skyrim a little, enhancing playability and applying bugfix after bugfix (currently struggling with a shadow striping epidemic)... and I just cannot shake the feeling that many things about this game feel unfinished.

Anyway there are a couple of very good mods to improve Skyrim's bleak mood: "Imaginator" (my favorite) and "Ultra Realistic World Lighting" - both have zero fps impact and can be used to enhance color balance and saturation, lighting and contrast, although Imaginator is more realistic and customizable.

Edited by kaymre

The only outstanding thing about skyrim is the music IMO. So I extracted it and have the explore themes running in oblivion. It really pimps the game up especially roaming around ubanga and even summerset isles.

I got fed up with the strange nord accents (almost cape town?)The imperial accents seem to be american. Its like watching john wayne playing a roman soldier. (ok I know he did - "the greatest story ever told")

someone at bethsoft must have watched that and thought.....the rest is ....

I am seriously hoping the next instalment of the scrolls features something a bit mor exotic, maybe aneqina, or is that not lore?

its a good thing most of you guys agree with what i said, im hoping they wont go to exotic becasue some people wont like the idea of that...for example the cold climate and mountains set people back,they just didnt like it and over time started not to play it :confused: ...

If Skyrim wasn't such a dull province, there were more side quests and NPCs(also more variety in side quests...) and if the faction questlines were longer and better, Skyrim would be much better and way more immersive.

That's the point, I think... that's why my hopes for Skyrim are moderate-to-low :confused:

Imagine this: a couple of years from now we'll have LOTS of mods to choose from (mostly body replacers and bouncing boobs stuff probably, but that's another story), however we're stuck with a monotonous province (some like this sort of TES/Fallout crossover, I don't), and we can't improve NPC interaction and questlines either due to the lack of sufficiently developed voiced dialogs.

OTOH I reinstalled Oblivion and a couple of gigs of mods and am enjoying it immensely :happy: