New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

I like the idea for the new design as I think it'll be functionally better but it carries over some old issues and brings in new ones. So I'll try to break down my thoughts.

Head section

BsODWBm.png

The old design had more vivid colors that indicated areas more clearly. It was easy to spot all the information you needed in a way could almost read like an article but was bit too condensed I thought.

1iIRJJq.png

The new design is much bigger (45% increase in size based on image sizes above) with even more potential extra space. It's a bit harder to read from left to right due to spacing and size increase. That problem is compounded with the download buttons not being obvious.

Suggestion

1. Use two columns
    1. There is a lot of information and it should be easy to read from left to right. Too much on one row or too little doesn't help. With the new design being wider, this should be more possible than ever.
    2. Stats/Information on something is usually condensed in order to quickly digest it all. Case in point would be most performance reporting tools (top in linux, task manager in windows, ELK, Splunk, etc.)

Others

I could go into other sections but the main point would be the same which is to utilize all the extra space better. Make it easier for the reader to see and emphasize colors/sections in areas that matter.

Suggestion

1. Make a top section stay in top window view to indicate area of the page you're on with other important information.
    1. This makes it clear when you scroll where you are on the page
    2. Allows quicker navigation
    3. Allows relevant information always available while reviewing mod.

NOTE: Hoping I offered some constructive criticism here. Some of this is simple observations and others my opinion.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought of a couple of more things that I missed in my original post that might be useful if you are still collecting this type of information.

1. When you do a general search by title, author, a word in the description, etc. in the new Nexus format the mods fitting that search come up fine, but when you choose one of those mods to look at you are taken to that mods page, then when you want to go back to the results you searched for you can not. It does not allow you to go back. I use the latest version of Firefox and have observed this problem. I don't know if it also exists with other browsers too. Putting new search criteria all the time is slow and unproductive. You should be able to go back to the previous page of search results once you have looked at a particular mod from that search. Right now the only way around this problem seems to be to open a particular mod of choice in a new tab to keep the search page results so you don't have to put in the search parameters again if you want to look at another mod in the same search results.

2. In the new Nexus format the version number needs to be larger. It gets lost surrounded by other information of the same font size. The version number of a mod is important to some of us and making it stand out better in a larger font means quicker location of it.

Aside from these points - one a bug, another a suggestion. The mod description really should be at the top of the page under mod title, author/uploader (preferably on the same line)

last update of the mod and first uploading date and instead of pictures on the top, I think these though important for prominence should be on the side of the description in a column so that the most important information that everyone wants - the mod information and images themselves should be the first thing that is seen, not less important information first. The mod is the draw after all isn't it? Also less large spacing is better. More compact. Information at a glance as it would be in a working situation or a project development situation is better. You don't want to be an hour hunting for important information.

Today I also noticed the download button and category for the mod removed. I don't know if it was because it was being worked on, but please put them back. The tags are often too obscure and based to much on everyone here's search patterns which may work for some, but not others. The categories were unifying in that everyone was already used to them. They need to come back on the mod pages.

I saw some here mention cell phone usage of the new format versus the old format. I use a low end android phone and see no difference in the speed between the new Nexus format and the old one. And both formats load equally easy and are easy to view on the small screen of a phone. Actually I might give the old format a slight edge here as it is more compact and a little easier because of this to read on small phone screens and tablet screens. (This is not because I favor one format over another - just an open observation) Also I have been downloading lots of mods lately on both systems. Enough of a sample to see there is no difference in download speed or page upload speed between the two formats. Though I have to agree that downloading a mod on a cell phone is not to likely - except if maybe it is very small. Pre-browsing for mods to download later on a computer with a phone does occur, especially if the person is not near a computer at the time. Especially in this day and age of linked browser bookmarks between various devices. Perhaps a happy medium between a good format for a computer and a phone/tablet should be option of choice here. I would take the best of both formats and make a better third version that most will like. In my opinion both formats could use improvement.

Pictures of good layouts is a good idea. Has anyone done a picture showing a new layout with elements of both the old and new formats (not just cut and paste organization - from scratch) and not just what is wrong with them?

I hope that the changes of the layout of the new format aren't set in stone yet. Much can be gained from listening to those not initially involved in its development.

your designer or those guys who worked on new design should read some basic UX books. Form should follow the function. Not the opposite as you did in your new layout.

P.S. dont collect feedback to fix the mistakes in new design. just revert back to old

Edited by GreyHorizon

this thread in a nutshell:

Poster1 - new layout is godawful

dev Response - no FU u r wrong new layout is gud

Poster2 - *insert actually constructive feedback*

dev ignores it

seems to me the devs are over attached to this new layout even though most don't like it and refuse to admit and/or change it because of their attachment to it. and that this thread is less about receiving constructive feedback or criticism and more about trying to get others to pat them on the back with how dismissive they are to anything other than "oh em gee it looks good!"

honestly. the new layout is one step forward, and then so many steps backwards you walked out the front door and into a street and thus got hit by a bus.

More suggestions...

• When implementing a new design, give a countdown clearly visible on all pages. May help encourage others to give feedback.
  • Have even longer time for notices of new design.
  • Engage the community more with multiple designs to vote on perhaps?
  • Allow the community to vote up ideas on design (forums not very useful for that). This way you can more easily find out what your site really needs.

If this has all been done ignore my ignorance.

I like the idea for the new design as I think it'll be functionally better but it carries over some old issues and brings in new ones. So I'll try to break down my thoughts.

Head section

BsODWBm.png

The old design had more vivid colors that indicated areas more clearly. It was easy to spot all the information you needed in a way could almost read like an article but was bit too condensed I thought.

1iIRJJq.png

The new design is much bigger (45% increase in size based on image sizes above) with even more potential extra space. It's a bit harder to read from left to right due to spacing and size increase. That problem is compounded with the download buttons not being obvious.

Suggestion

1. Use two columns
    1. There is a lot of information and it should be easy to read from left to right. Too much on one row or too little doesn't help. With the new design being wider, this should be more possible than ever.
    2. Stats/Information on something is usually condensed in order to quickly digest it all. Case in point would be most performance reporting tools (top in linux, task manager in windows, ELK, Splunk, etc.)

Others

I could go into other sections but the main point would be the same which is to utilize all the extra space better. Make it easier for the reader to see and emphasize colors/sections in areas that matter.

Suggestion

1. Make a top section stay in top window view to indicate area of the page you're on with other important information.
    1. This makes it clear when you scroll where you are on the page
    2. Allows quicker navigation
    3. Allows relevant information always available while reviewing mod.

NOTE: Hoping I offered some constructive criticism here. Some of this is simple observations and others my opinion.

That is some mighty goddamned fine feedback. Have a kudos. Why can't we all post constructive feedback like this? Makes my posts look like a pile of puke.

I just thought of a couple of more things that I missed in my original post that might be useful if you are still collecting this type of information.

1. When you do a general search by title, author, a word in the description, etc. in the new Nexus format the mods fitting that search come up fine, but when you choose one of those mods to look at you are taken to that mods page, then when you want to go back to the results you searched for you can not. It does not allow you to go back. I use the latest version of Firefox and have observed this problem. I don't know if it also exists with other browsers too. Putting new search criteria all the time is slow and unproductive. You should be able to go back to the previous page of search results once you have looked at a particular mod from that search. Right now the only way around this problem seems to be to open a particular mod of choice in a new tab to keep the search page results so you don't have to put in the search parameters again if you want to look at another mod in the same search results.

2. In the new Nexus format the version number needs to be larger. It gets lost surrounded by other information of the same font size. The version number of a mod is important to some of us and making it stand out better in a larger font means quicker location of it.

Aside from these points - one a bug, another a suggestion. The mod description really should be at the top of the page under mod title, author/uploader (preferably on the same line)

last update of the mod and first uploading date and instead of pictures on the top, I think these though important for prominence should be on the side of the description in a column so that the most important information that everyone wants - the mod information and images themselves should be the first thing that is seen, not less important information first. The mod is the draw after all isn't it? Also less large spacing is better. More compact. Information at a glance as it would be in a working situation or a project development situation is better. You don't want to be an hour hunting for important information.

Today I also noticed the download button and category for the mod removed. I don't know if it was because it was being worked on, but please put them back. The tags are often too obscure and based to much on everyone here's search patterns which may work for some, but not others. The categories were unifying in that everyone was already used to them. They need to come back on the mod pages.

I saw some here mention cell phone usage of the new format versus the old format. I use a low end android phone and see no difference in the speed between the new Nexus format and the old one. And both formats load equally easy and are easy to view on the small screen of a phone. Actually I might give the old format a slight edge here as it is more compact and a little easier because of this to read on small phone screens and tablet screens. (This is not because I favor one format over another - just an open observation) Also I have been downloading lots of mods lately on both systems. Enough of a sample to see there is no difference in download speed or page upload speed between the two formats. Though I have to agree that downloading a mod on a cell phone is not to likely - except if maybe it is very small. Pre-browsing for mods to download later on a computer with a phone does occur, especially if the person is not near a computer at the time. Especially in this day and age of linked browser bookmarks between various devices. Perhaps a happy medium between a good format for a computer and a phone/tablet should be option of choice here. I would take the best of both formats and make a better third version that most will like. In my opinion both formats could use improvement.

Pictures of good layouts is a good idea. Has anyone done a picture showing a new layout with elements of both the old and new formats (not just cut and paste organization - from scratch) and not just what is wrong with them?

I hope that the changes of the layout of the new format aren't set in stone yet. Much can be gained from listening to those not initially involved in its development.

That, too, is mighty fine feedback, in both your posts. You ranted, you raged, and in the end, you came through in the clutch and served up some constructive feedback by having an eye for detail. Thank you. Kudos earned.

your designer or those guys who worked on new design should read some basic UX books. Form should follow the function. Not the opposite as you did in your new layout.

P.S. dont collect feedback to fix the mistakes in new design. just revert back to old

They had a web dev, and then lost them, and so had to design much of it on their own without expert help. Now, Kit is here, and her orders were as follows:

1. Work on Vortex, make it work. Failure results in fifty lashes.

2. Once Vortex is finished, finish fixing our new site that we did the best we could with until we could get a proper web dev in here. Failure results in fifty lashes.

Okay, okay, the fifty lashes part is probably an invention of my overactive imagination, but the rest is 100% valid.

A note on the UI, UX and overall look. When we started this process we worked with a professional designer to create the initial mockups because we didn't have a full-time designer ourselves. The designer we worked with was great, but naturally as we didn't have him full-time and our work on the code took way longer than initially anticipated, it meant that he could only go so far. As such, the current design on the new site is, I'd say, 75% the designer's, following good UI/UX principles and 25% ours, without expert supervision (and likely lacking good UI/UX principles). We've had to change or add functionality that was missed in the original mockups that was not done by a UI/UX professional and as such, we're aware there are some areas of the site that, already, could do with the touch of an expert.

Once we're happy with Vortex she [Kit--tw80] will move her focus on to the sites. I tell you this for two reasons. To inform you we're aware there are a few UI/UX issues with the redesign at this time, and to let you know that it will be resolved to an expert level at some point in the not too distant future. We won't be making any changes to the design until she is able to give it her full attention in a couple of month's time and, while we know some of you are budding UI and UX people yourselves and love to share your feedback with us, we'll obviously not be touching anything major until our own expert is ready.

That was the OP of this thread. Didn't you even read it? Once Vortex is released, she will turn her full attention to the site. The best thing we can do is continue giving actionable feedback--stuff she can read, say, "Oh! Yep! I know exactly what they're talking about," and then fix it accordingly.

this thread in a nutshell:

Poster1 - new layout is godawful

dev Response - no FU u r wrong new layout is gud

Poster2 - *insert actually constructive feedback*

dev ignores it

seems to me the devs are over attached to this new layout even though most don't like it and refuse to admit and/or change it because of their attachment to it. and that this thread is less about receiving constructive feedback or criticism and more about trying to get others to pat them on the back with how dismissive they are to anything other than "oh em gee it looks good!"

honestly. the new layout is one step forward, and then so many steps backwards you walked out the front door and into a street and thus got hit by a bus.

See above. Where do you see in Dark0ne's OP (that's Original Post for those who may not know) anywhere the dev (Kit being the only one I know of who is the dev for the site) seeing feedback and then saying f*k you? Where do you see Dark0ne doing so?

Nowhere.

Just because they're not responding to individual posts doesn't mean you're ignored. They have thousands of such posts to wade through--they can't be everywhere at once. Don't worry, tho--I got your back with the soundtrack you need for this very moment in time:

https://youtu.be/Re72di5phM0

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2j506mo.jpg

More suggestions...

• When implementing a new design, give a countdown clearly visible on all pages. May help encourage others to give feedback.
  • Have even longer time for notices of new design.
  • Engage the community more with multiple designs to vote on perhaps?
  • Allow the community to vote up ideas on design (forums not very useful for that). This way you can more easily find out what your site really needs.

If this has all been done ignore my ignorance.

Keep 'em coming! One of these days, if someone hasn't done so already, I'm going to collate all the feedback and post it in one post on this thread...

Okay, okay, the fifty lashes part is probably an invention of my overactive imagination, but the rest is 100% valid.

Failure on both is actually cause for making them wash Robin's socks for a month.

Yes, we're that cruel.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Batman-Shocked-Face-Meme-570x285.jpg

You monster!