Spawns of the Commonwealth (WOTC 2 New Thread)

SMB92

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My motherboard, CPU and Ram are off for Rma at the moment. I only just got a reply today from them saying they are replacing my board and CPU. So I have been hiatus for about 2 and a half weeks now.

In other breaking news for non Discord followers, I've scrapped the Turf Wars system. It was way too demanding on performance and Dev time for what it was worth. Also I am expanding the capabilities of the SpawnPoint script and writing up a new multithreading system for larger SpawnPoints.

Thank you for the update. I've stopped playing FO4 about half a year ago, because while I don't want to play with the default spawns anymore, I also got sick of WOTC crashing all the time. Looking forward to Spawns of the Commonwealth!

Bearing in mind that you are delayed due to a fried mobo, do you have anything remotely resembling an ETA on this?

Also, is there any chance that you could include some kind of legendary spawn feature, particularly something that makes absolutely everything spawn as a legendary?

I just got a hankering to play Fo4 again recently and I had forgotten have absolutely necessary and horrendously frustrating WotC is. I use a combination of WotC - No Remorse setting with Legendary Apocalypse to make any kind of travel anywhere an unremitting Nightmare and then I play on Survival. The net result is that I have fun a while trying to avoid the umpteen thousand mobs of 12 legendary, unlevelled ghouls/raiders/gunners/forged/whathaveyou before I get so frustrated with the CTDs that I delete the mod...and then remember how boring the game is without having to check every few feet for a death squad. Without the sheer density of spawns and the extra oomph provided by everything being Legendary, the game is entirely too easy; I just pick things off with a rifle and have done with it.

This ^^^

I remember True Storms spawning in hoards of ghouls during thunderstorms and god was that epic. Combine that with damage overhauls among a few other mods and it could really mess your s*** up if you're not wearing full suit of sentinel or power armor. The vanilla game never offered a challenge like that.

Then along came WotC. Now here's a mod that really made life hell in this game. My only issue with it was the constant CTD from too many scripts (when by itself it was fairly stable after tweaking some settings both the mod and game). God when it worked though it WORKED. Never once had I had to prepare for combat of any kind. A good gun beat stick armor and some drugs and I was set. WotC changed everything though. I literally had to abuse stealth just to have a chance in hell at beating various armies it throws at you every 5 to 10 minutes. I had to count every shot and abuse covers to no end and this was without the damage overhauls and other mods. With those as well it was a dam nightmare. I loved it.

Edit: I have no doubt that SotC will not only be an overall improvement to WotC but it will become the very mod that my fellow vets and I need to bring back that spark. If it turns out that I'll have to cut my mod lists then meh so be it. I'll gladly sacrifice beauty for carnage any day.

Edited by MaSt3RofDraGOns

I remember True Storms spawning in hoards of ghouls during thunderstorms and god was that epic. Combine that with damage overhauls among a few other mods and it could really mess your s*** up if you're not wearing full suit of sentinel or power armor. The vanilla game never offered a challenge like that.

I get the distinct feeling that with all the good stuff we already have, there's still no good "do one thing and do it well" lightweight mod for event-based spawns. I know I'd use it. Like radstorms rolling in, nighttime predators, all that cool stuff.

I liked WOTC but it was a mess. Seeing SMB92 take care of it makes me confident we'll get something awesome for generic location-based spawns.

A question @SMB92 - would it be valid to generate a random location somewhere outside a 512u wide circle (but in the same cell) around the player, place a partly random amount of leveled NPCs there and let the game handle the rest, like cleanup, hostility etc.? I'd have a manager type script running in the background, polling for events like radstorms, dusk, discovery of a certain locations etc. that then triggers the spawn routine under certain conditions.

@payload, A number of mods attempt. To do similar thing (I call that "dynamic placement" whereas mine are static markers*) and while some do this well enough (thinking of SKK50 mod, personally haven't used it but I've heard good things) there are problems that come with doing this. However, that doesn't mean I can't do what you mentioned, as I'm already structured to intercept SpawnPoints at will.

One of my modes is Ghoul Apocalypse mode, and another will be the 7 days to Die mode, based on that game. When enabled, any SpawnPoints firing can be intercepted and told to spawn this instead of whatever it was supposed to spawn.

For now, I simply have to focus on this core and I won't be focusing on adding new ideas like this, but I may revisit it later, although I have finally figured out how to take the whole mod modular so third party Modders can add on to it/tap into it, so worst case scenario someone else might implement these ideas.