Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56144671.

OutLaw666 wrote: So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.

Well played! Well played indeed.

The article said that at no point.

um

...To that end, we are also working on enabling users of Nexus Mods to contribute into this monthly pool, so that any and all users of Nexus Mods can choose to donate into the total pool for that month if they so wish. Essentially, crowd-funded mod author donations. We'll provide a page on the site where you can see how high the donation pool is for that month, split between what we at Nexus Mods have put in, and what the entire community has put in and we'll probably gamify this a little and let users who donate opt-in to a leaderboard style system that lists how much they've donated and so on.

I imagine people may still have the opportunity to donate funds direct to the author, as they do now - it'd be nice to have clarification on that from admin though.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56144671. #56145561 is also a reply to the same post.

OutLaw666 wrote: So you are telling us that people who previously would have had donated to the modauthor directly now have to donate to the nexus. And then the nexus decides who gets the money.
Ethreon wrote: The article said that at no point.

Quote: "...,we are also working on enabling users of Nexus Mods to contribute into this monthly pool, so that any and all users of Nexus Mods can choose to donate into the total pool for that month if they so wish."

I suppose this will replace the donation system we currently have. Edited by OutLaw666

In response to post #56147121.

ozoak wrote:

In response to post #56144671.

The article said that at no point.

um

...To that end, we are also working on enabling users of Nexus Mods to contribute into this monthly pool, so that any and all users of Nexus Mods can choose to donate into the total pool for that month if they so wish. Essentially, crowd-funded mod author donations. We'll provide a page on the site where you can see how high the donation pool is for that month, split between what we at Nexus Mods have put in, and what the entire community has put in and we'll probably gamify this a little and let users who donate opt-in to a leaderboard style system that lists how much they've donated and so on.

I imagine people may still have the opportunity to donate funds direct to the author, as they do now - it'd be nice to have clarification on that from admin though.

Nowhere in that it says this replaces donation systems. It states right there - they are allowing everyone to pitch in if they want. They're not making paid mods, they're not removing donation system, none of that. It's simply a way to give back to the people that make content for this site which we all know generally get nothing.

In response to post #56144671. #56145561, #56147231 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote: The article said that at no point.
OutLaw666 wrote: Quote: "...,we are also working on enabling users of Nexus Mods to contribute into this monthly pool, so that any and all users of Nexus Mods can choose to donate into the total pool for that month if they so wish."

I suppose this will replace the donation system we currently have.

If they were getting rid of normal donations and replacing it with this they would have said so.

I'm just pointing it out, because *that* is what OutLaw666 was referring to.

I agree that it's *likely* they'll retain an ability to donate direct to authors we favour, but I've learned not to *assume* anything. Dark0ne made a really lengthy post, and mentioned several other things not changing. I'm not a fan of ambiguity.

In response to post #56143426. #56144051 is also a reply to the same post.

TheFirstEnD wrote: Add requierements to mods to become eligible to the system can be a good idea.... for example each mod must have 500/1000 endorsements or 10000/20000 unique downloads. I think this rule can dissuade certain people to get tempted to release 50 sluty version of Lydia mods per day and encourage quality over quantity.
Ethreon wrote: They'd all receive 200 downloads in total. Who cares?

I disagree. Would discourage modder from making niche mods that only help a few people. Or patches that only a few neeed.

In response to post #56116056.

lazman555 wrote:
Right now nexus is perfect, the mods here are of very high quality, and as a modder this site provides a very laid back approach to mod development. I think if you add money to this process you will break it. Atm i have no problem with people taking my mods and changing them, and i can do that to other mods, but when money is involved this will change everything.

This x1000. We see people already getting hurt by the lack of endorsements. Bring money into this and that negative feeling will increase two fold. Plus we will soon realize that the points will mostly be hogged by the top 10 most popular mod authors and their supporters who promote their content through video. Pure popularity contest. A simple retexture by a popular mod author will far outweigh a DLC sized mod made by an unknown newbie in terms of unique downloads. I've seen it happens numerous numerous times.

Getting my popcorn ready to see what will happen with this.

In response to post #56143426. #56144051, #56148311 are all replies on the same post.

TheFirstEnD wrote: Add requierements to mods to become eligible to the system can be a good idea.... for example each mod must have 500/1000 endorsements or 10000/20000 unique downloads. I think this rule can dissuade certain people to get tempted to release 50 sluty version of Lydia mods per day and encourage quality over quantity.
tonycubed2 wrote: I disagree. Would discourage modder from making niche mods that only help a few people. Or patches that only a few neeed.

@Ethreon
Right, but multiple this. The same author publing 10 differents versions of this mod per day... for example Monday you have sluty Lydia, sluty Serana, sluty Astrid....etc, Tuesday loli Lydia, loli Serana...etc. 200 downloads * 10 mods per day * 30 days in the month... Quantity over quality

@tonycubed2
It's true, there is good and bad in every system. But a system where the result will be an oversaturation of easy making-easy money-sluty-skimpy mods will make niche mods, and same the good ones, very niche mods.

In response to post #56143426. #56144051, #56148311, #56149351 are all replies on the same post.

tonycubed2 wrote: I disagree. Would discourage modder from making niche mods that only help a few people. Or patches that only a few neeed.
TheFirstEnD wrote: @Ethreon
Right, but multiple this. The same author publing 10 differents versions of this mod per day... for example Monday you have sluty Lydia, sluty Serana, sluty Astrid....etc, Tuesday loli Lydia, loli Serana...etc. 200 downloads * 10 mods per day * 30 days in the month... Quantity over quality

@tonycubed2
It's true, there is good and bad in every system. But a system where the result will be an oversaturation of easy making-easy money-sluty-skimpy mods will make niche mods, and same the good ones, very niche mods.

A mod author that wants to do such will do now regardless of gain, and their gain is still equally insignificant as those presets usually garner a few downloads. There shouldn't be guides against uploaded mods just based on your perception of what is worth considering or not. All mods are equal, and people spamming mods are allowed. If anything, spamming mods will make users dislike you and you'd get even less downloads.

In response to post #56116056. #56148496 is also a reply to the same post.

lazman555 wrote:
Right now nexus is perfect, the mods here are of very high quality, and as a modder this site provides a very laid back approach to mod development. I think if you add money to this process you will break it. Atm i have no problem with people taking my mods and changing them, and i can do that to other mods, but when money is involved this will change everything.
SunJeong wrote: This x1000. We see people already getting hurt by the lack of endorsements. Bring money into this and that negative feeling will increase two fold. Plus we will soon realize that the points will mostly be hogged by the top 10 most popular mod authors and their supporters who promote their content through video. Pure popularity contest. A simple retexture by a popular mod author will far outweigh a DLC sized mod made by an unknown newbie in terms of unique downloads. I've seen it happens numerous numerous times.

Getting my popcorn ready to see what will happen with this.

Totally agree with you both but it seems the majority of the user here is happy about the new donation system. From this point of view Dark0ne is right here and we have to accept it.