Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

Oh god, people and the "community"... Now this is going to rip the community apart (again? it's the 27th time by now? have we reached atomic level in all that community division yet?) Now because people that don't donate are going to feel "second class"... What? Right, the 99,9% of people that currently don't donate feel like that... definitely.

Leaving alone inventing what the community wants or the future... It's funny how many arguments against this idea are filled with freedom talk (as if this system is meant to force anyone to do anything... They don't even force you to receive the points, let alone donate) and then they procede to impose their ideas of why should people mod. "You have to mod for yourself without expecting anything in return, that's the "proper" way of modding and everyone must agree with me". Really coherent.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So guys, now that Nexus has officially gone off the deep end, you should PM me some better mod hosting sites! With the horrible redesign and this atrocious donation system, I feel like there's no point in staying here save for the fact that Nexus hosts the majority of mods. It's becoming the Walmart of the modding community. Absolutely disgusting.

Edit: Meh, the problem with leaving Nexus is that it's the most widely used. Even if a constant spew of questionable decisions are made, nexus holds the most sway overall. You can either choose to use Nexus and actually have people see your mods, or you can release mods that no one will see. It's a rather blatant choice, I wish it wasn't such a monopoly. Nexus has provided great support and an excellent service in the past. Hopefully it'll continue to do so despite the... many hiccups.

Edited by TheDrunkenMudcrab

In response to post #56171031.

TheDrunkenMudcrab wrote:

So guys, now that Nexus has officially gone off the deep end, you should PM me some better mod hosting sites! With the horrible redesign and this atrocious donation system, I feel like there's no point in staying here save for the fact that Nexus hosts the majority of mods. It's becoming the Walmart of the modding community. Absolutely disgusting.

Go home mudcrab you're drunk.

In response to post #56171031. #56171286 is also a reply to the same post.

TheDrunkenMudcrab wrote:

SunJeong wrote: Go home mudcrab you're drunk.

Too bad, that most people don't seem to hold that view. Think whatever you want, but personally i think that this is still(after this, possibly even more so) the best modsite i have ever used.

In response to post #56171031. #56171286, #56171501 are all replies on the same post.

TheDrunkenMudcrab wrote:

SunJeong wrote: Go home mudcrab you're drunk.
qwormuli wrote: Too bad, that most people don't seem to hold that view. Think whatever you want, but personally i think that this is still(after this, possibly even more so) the best modsite i have ever used.

What horrible new donation system you dreaming about? The donation system is same as always, and I'm willing to bet you've used it very little.'

Anyway, door's there. Feel free to use it one last time.

In response to post #56169581. #56170296 is also a reply to the same post.

Tasheni wrote: I hope my english is good enough to say what I want to. Please be polite.

Next step to split the comunity further. This development makes me very sad. What is the intention behind your doings? I can't see any advantage for modders and players.

I have put thousands of hours in the development of my mod. I decided to share it so users can play it if they want, because that's what I can give freely to the comunity. It's great if there is some feedback, but I never care for endorsement. I know myself if I had done a good job or not. I'm not into competition, for what is it good for? If you want to have one, then make special actions once or thrice a year, or whatever with a certain theme. I'm doing this and it's fun and pain, but this is to me. I know there are people outside who like it. Recognition is always nice, but you can't force people to give it. No system will work to achieve this.
And to bring in money in either form is the end of free and carefree modding. You expel many modders into the second row. And if they only make the hundreths Lydja mod, they just do what they can and like, invested their time and for those nexus should stay open as for anyone else. It's the decision of the player what mods he want to use.
You make people who do not pay feel like they are judged. The feeling of second class.
If someone want to make money with mods he should setup his own internetshop. And if some player wants to support a modder who offers his work for free he could do it private with a PM and state it out unvisible for the comunity.
This all will bring in more complication for both, modders and players.
SanguinBlack wrote: YES, thank you.

Load of bull. This is basically donations, but from nexus to the MAs instead of the random generous user. Take your doom and gloom away.

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356 are all replies on the same post.

CyniclyPink wrote: I'm all for mod authors getting some reward for their efforts. Some have taken years to complete. I hope this works out OK.
Airbreathers wrote: I think you have the right idea.
SanguinBlack wrote: Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.

Please outline the portion where you are being forced to do anything, be you modder or user.

In response to post #56170756.

FrankFamily wrote:

Oh god, people and the "community"... Now this is going to rip the community apart (again? it's the 27th time by now? have we reached atomic level in all that community division yet?) Now because people that don't donate are going to feel "second class"... What? Right, the 99,9% of people that currently don't donate feel like that... definitely.

Leaving alone inventing what the community wants or the future... It's funny how many arguments against this idea are filled with freedom talk (as if this system is meant to force anyone to do anything... They don't even force you to receive the points, let alone donate) and then they procede to impose their ideas of why should people mod. "You have to mod for yourself without expecting anything in return, that's the "proper" way of modding and everyone must agree with me". Really coherent.

IKR? If this isn't majorly f*#@ed up(and i don't really think it will be), i can't really see the site getting crammed full of scammy asset flips and begfiles. I'm a poor af student, but sponsoring a free beer or two for a favourite modder isn't grounds for walling even the smallest of patches with 9.99€ stickers and asset hogging. Might have to scrounge up for a year of premium or something, soon(Again, voluntarily).

In response to post #56169581. #56170296, #56171586 are all replies on the same post.

Tasheni wrote: I hope my english is good enough to say what I want to. Please be polite.

Next step to split the comunity further. This development makes me very sad. What is the intention behind your doings? I can't see any advantage for modders and players.

I have put thousands of hours in the development of my mod. I decided to share it so users can play it if they want, because that's what I can give freely to the comunity. It's great if there is some feedback, but I never care for endorsement. I know myself if I had done a good job or not. I'm not into competition, for what is it good for? If you want to have one, then make special actions once or thrice a year, or whatever with a certain theme. I'm doing this and it's fun and pain, but this is to me. I know there are people outside who like it. Recognition is always nice, but you can't force people to give it. No system will work to achieve this.
And to bring in money in either form is the end of free and carefree modding. You expel many modders into the second row. And if they only make the hundreths Lydja mod, they just do what they can and like, invested their time and for those nexus should stay open as for anyone else. It's the decision of the player what mods he want to use.
You make people who do not pay feel like they are judged. The feeling of second class.
If someone want to make money with mods he should setup his own internetshop. And if some player wants to support a modder who offers his work for free he could do it private with a PM and state it out unvisible for the comunity.
This all will bring in more complication for both, modders and players.
SanguinBlack wrote: YES, thank you.
Ethreon wrote: Load of bull. This is basically donations, but from nexus to the MAs instead of the random generous user. Take your doom and gloom away.

You call donations from advertisement funds the end of free and voluntary modding? Not going to happen. And i'm a bit sceptical about any modder feeling like a second class citizen for making the mods he/she wants, instead of the most popular types. I think that people like that tend to be even more beloved, but that's just my point of view. And the premium system isn't dividing users either, outside of the obvious differences. I have yet to see even one even remotely serious post whinging about free users, and i have ever seen only a single post made by some asshole calling supporters disingenuous fanboys/shills(not his words, and it happened 3+ years ago). I don't think that the current change is going to create any more divide between different users/authors.