Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

Don't know what to say. Sceptical. There will be a lot of stolen files, fake files.

Complaints about: He stole my assets! etc...

Its a good idea, there are no disadvantages directly.

But this system can also push new authors away. They see the big pool(cash) and there is no place for them in it.

"Everyone gets something but not me", they will feel disadvantaged. Hate will grow against successful mod authors and they maybe switch to the darkside.

On the other hand, successful mod authors get what they deserve, finally. This system does also need a cap. The maximum of points that can be generated per to make the share equal, imo. How high? I dont know...

Will this split the community? Maybe, maybe not. The world will not end. People who get their pitchforks and torches out will come down, as always. There is no alternative. Bethesda? Heh, good one.

How will bethesda react? Hard to tell. In the end mod users generate money by creating mods/downloads. So its more or less a passive way to earn money with mods. Mod authors are now in the nexus boat. You could also say, Nexusmods generates money with "their" mods. If bethesda wants to hit that boat, im pretty sure, the modding community will tear them apart,as this could also mean the end of nexus as we know it. Beth seriously dont want that kind of war.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56169581. #56170296, #56171586, #56171796 are all replies on the same post.

Tasheni wrote: I hope my english is good enough to say what I want to. Please be polite.

Next step to split the comunity further. This development makes me very sad. What is the intention behind your doings? I can't see any advantage for modders and players.

I have put thousands of hours in the development of my mod. I decided to share it so users can play it if they want, because that's what I can give freely to the comunity. It's great if there is some feedback, but I never care for endorsement. I know myself if I had done a good job or not. I'm not into competition, for what is it good for? If you want to have one, then make special actions once or thrice a year, or whatever with a certain theme. I'm doing this and it's fun and pain, but this is to me. I know there are people outside who like it. Recognition is always nice, but you can't force people to give it. No system will work to achieve this.
And to bring in money in either form is the end of free and carefree modding. You expel many modders into the second row. And if they only make the hundreths Lydja mod, they just do what they can and like, invested their time and for those nexus should stay open as for anyone else. It's the decision of the player what mods he want to use.
You make people who do not pay feel like they are judged. The feeling of second class.
If someone want to make money with mods he should setup his own internetshop. And if some player wants to support a modder who offers his work for free he could do it private with a PM and state it out unvisible for the comunity.
This all will bring in more complication for both, modders and players.
SanguinBlack wrote: YES, thank you.
Ethreon wrote: Load of bull. This is basically donations, but from nexus to the MAs instead of the random generous user. Take your doom and gloom away.
qwormuli wrote: You call donations from advertisement funds the end of free and voluntary modding? Not going to happen. And i'm a bit sceptical about any modder feeling like a second class citizen for making the mods he/she wants, instead of the most popular types. I think that people like that tend to be even more beloved, but that's just my point of view. And the premium system isn't dividing users either, outside of the obvious differences. I have yet to see even one even remotely serious post whinging about free users, and i have ever seen only a single post made by some asshole calling supporters disingenuous fanboys/shills(not his words, and it happened 3+ years ago). I don't think that the current change is going to create any more divide between different users/authors.

Tasheni, After reading the post, there is a part of it that says that on one will know how may points you have but you. So for that matter of this making Modding into a competition on this site, no I do not see that as the case. Every month you and other modders will just receive some points to do with as you please, if you want to. You and any other modder does not have to opt in. this whole system is completely free to you and anyone else on this site to use or completely disregard.

About your second point, to do with Second class, I think you are bring this up from whats been popping up in the comments of this post about people releasing a lot of Quote on Quote "low effort Mods" to game the system. personally I think that line of thinking of people in the comments is pretty bad. Tasheni people do what the enjoy and what they can. and if they enjoy it enough to do it a lot they should not be shunned, penalize or otherwise treated as Bad Members of the Community, unless someone is breaking the rules of the nexus they are not Bad Members of the community, or Bad modders. They are just something in the community you are not particularly fond of, which as long as you don't attack or put down others is fine IMO, there are things i don't like personally But I just don't download those mods. There is no need to see them as lesser. Cause there is a lot of people on this site that do like those mods, be them whatever. There is a Mod for everyone, and if there is not now I'd Bet someone is making it,

In response to post #56160276. #56166746, #56170356, #56171606 are all replies on the same post.

CyniclyPink wrote: I'm all for mod authors getting some reward for their efforts. Some have taken years to complete. I hope this works out OK.
Airbreathers wrote: I think you have the right idea.
SanguinBlack wrote: Except it is modder's choice to make a free mod, no one should be kept responsible for it but the modder. If they want money, this is not the site. And it should remain as user's choice to donate extra.
Ethreon wrote: Please outline the portion where you are being forced to do anything, be you modder or user.

i don't think saying this is not the site, Based on this post, It is the site, probably the only site that will reward you for doing what you love,

For you second point, its becoming more and more a parent that people don't read the actual post. This is Donation, Meaning you Give freely of your own heart or you do not,( which is in every way completely fine, not everyone can) That money is Basically donated to Nexus/ Community / Mod Makers at large. Nexus then Secretly divides up the Total donation, and then divvies it out to Modder based solely on a metric that can be tracked and is fair in the sense that basically in a real round-a-bout way now every person that downloaded the mod donated something like probably 1 cent (lets be real here) to the author.

The donation system is really neat. However you guys will have to be contributing constantly. You may want to look towards a system such as the Basic Attention Token to fund creators. If you can manage to get that implemented into the website, nexus mods program, or anything else in general it could pretty great for everyone.

https://basicattentiontoken.org/

In response to post #56085816. #56102921, #56170251 are all replies on the same post.

SanguinBlack wrote: Unfortunately, there are some authors here (rather more than less) who treat people like dirtbags -assumably with the confidence provided by the impossibility of facing any obstacles or any downsides in the process- but will strictly forbid any kind of criticism.

So no, this is not fair and is against my will.

And most people share the same thoughts with me but either they prefer keeping quiet about it in the exchange of not getting banned or their comments have been already removed.
JN273 wrote: I disagree with you that there are more than less. But there are definitely some out there but I can only come up with a few. This system will mostly benefit people with a lot of downloads, so basically recognized mod authors. And again like many before me have said and I'll say it as well. Mod authors post their mods here for free. You as a user downloads whatever mods you fancy for free. What do you give back?

So with that said, now thanks to this system you will help authors because lets face it, most people don't donate to mod authors even if they deserve it. And I just need to say that I completely disagree with your last statement. I see plenty of people that express their opinion. I think because you're a fairly new user, you should be careful speaking for a community you haven't been a part of for long, like you've known it for years.
SanguinBlack wrote: You see, I did not go full fanboy about this tread, posted my actual opinion on the matter within the line of ethics and I'm already getting pushed away.

Just go check EnaiSiaion's Sacrosanct mod comment section, you'll see what I mean. Around %80 of the comments in the Nexus are like ''omg this is the best mod ever!'' because obviously, no other opinion is allowed and people are treated badly. It is just unrealistic that all people from around the globe comment the same way. You can also google some authors and find out that they keep insulting users on other platforms like reddit etc. Just an example.

Like you said, the mods are free, which is a choice made by author, meaning: user doesn't have to give anything. Doesn't mean the user will be kept responsible for the choice made by author.

I understand ''if you don't like my mod, don't use it'' attitude to some degree. But the authors literally have nothing to fear when treating people badly and even insult them. This needs to solved first before forced donation gets put on the table.

Also your argument is childish and based on assumptions. You are like players in Overwatch's bronze league who will creep around people's profiles like it is some kind of superpower and spam ''You have X hours on Hanzo, you suck, omg''. An example being that you've assumed this is my first account or this account represents my relation date with Nexus, in reality, things are different. I remember my first ever account to get banned because an author insulted me in a really bad concept and I responded back. My relation with Nexus dates back approximately to pre-release of Oldrim.

In the end, it is not okay for users to express opinions but it is okay to get donations from the users that are being forbid to express opinions.

Well, authors sometimes getting fed up with users is expected, not balked at. Check any mod with "can't/won't come to Xbox" in the description, and you find at least two ponces asking for it in the comment section(at that situation they should ask permission to port it on Xbone themselves, if anything). The same is with almost every clearly stated fact or policy. Then there are the ones, who even get upset at the mod author not jumping at every comment like that. And of course there is "bestest ever" comments in the section, different strokes for different folks and all that. With that, though, this is not some Deviantart, where every slightest criticism is met with ban, and i too have made less flattering comments with no repercussions(fancy that). I might just suspect, that you were a bit more of an ass, that you're letting in on.

Also, mod authors should never fear user responce, and vice versa. We are all members of this site, other just upload their creations. Also, this is an opt-in system, you aren't forced to contribute anything.

In response to post #56172621.

Zzyxzz wrote: Don't know what to say. Sceptical. There will be a lot of stolen files, fake files.
Complaints about: He stole my assets! etc...
Its a good idea, there are no disadvantages directly.
But this system can also push new authors away. They see the big pool(cash) and there is no place for them in it.
"Everyone gets something but not me", they will feel disadvantaged. Hate will grow against successful mod authors and they maybe switch to the darkside.
On the other hand, successful mod authors get what they deserve, finally. This system does also need a cap. The maximum of points that can be generated per to make the share equal, imo. How high? I dont know...

Will this split the community? Maybe, maybe not. The world will not end. People who get their pitchforks and torches out will come down, as always. There is no alternative. Bethesda? Heh, good one.

How will bethesda react? Hard to tell. In the end mod users generate money by creating mods/downloads. So its more or less a passive way to earn money with mods. Mod authors are now in the nexus boat. You could also say, Nexusmods generates money with "their" mods. If bethesda wants to hit that boat, im pretty sure, the modding community will tear them apart,as this could also mean the end of nexus as we know it. Beth seriously dont want that kind of war.

The total amount of DP is entirely private, so anyone making some flashy graphs about their earnings becomes really apparent in both good and bad, and can be easily identified and dealt with appropriately. I really have a hard ime in believng, that this becomes some popularity contest(more than it already is.).

That cap, on the other hand, is an interesting idea, but needs work. One file hogging it all might be a downer, but a cap would entice an author to split up a mod in ten parts, which would become really difficult for the site, i believe. Maybe some scale? I'd first wait and see whether that becomes a problen or not, before overengineering the system.

In response to post #56147046.

dayday8421 wrote: It's frustrating to see how many people have "read" this post and still had a go about "paid mods". If you can't understand the terminology in this post, you shouldn't be here in the first place. This is an extremely well thought out process and is a clear and obvious leader in the mod donation front. Well done to the Nexus team! Good show!

Yup. BUT HOW MUCH DO I HAVE TO PAY UP TO USE THIS SITE IN THE FUTURE! HOW MUCH WILL ZENIHACKS GET FOR THIS?!?!

In response to post #56085816. #56102921, #56170251, #56176521 are all replies on the same post.

SanguinBlack wrote: Unfortunately, there are some authors here (rather more than less) who treat people like dirtbags -assumably with the confidence provided by the impossibility of facing any obstacles or any downsides in the process- but will strictly forbid any kind of criticism.

So no, this is not fair and is against my will.

And most people share the same thoughts with me but either they prefer keeping quiet about it in the exchange of not getting banned or their comments have been already removed.
JN273 wrote: I disagree with you that there are more than less. But there are definitely some out there but I can only come up with a few. This system will mostly benefit people with a lot of downloads, so basically recognized mod authors. And again like many before me have said and I'll say it as well. Mod authors post their mods here for free. You as a user downloads whatever mods you fancy for free. What do you give back?

So with that said, now thanks to this system you will help authors because lets face it, most people don't donate to mod authors even if they deserve it. And I just need to say that I completely disagree with your last statement. I see plenty of people that express their opinion. I think because you're a fairly new user, you should be careful speaking for a community you haven't been a part of for long, like you've known it for years.
SanguinBlack wrote: You see, I did not go full fanboy about this tread, posted my actual opinion on the matter within the line of ethics and I'm already getting pushed away.

Just go check EnaiSiaion's Sacrosanct mod comment section, you'll see what I mean. Around %80 of the comments in the Nexus are like ''omg this is the best mod ever!'' because obviously, no other opinion is allowed and people are treated badly. It is just unrealistic that all people from around the globe comment the same way. You can also google some authors and find out that they keep insulting users on other platforms like reddit etc. Just an example.

Like you said, the mods are free, which is a choice made by author, meaning: user doesn't have to give anything. Doesn't mean the user will be kept responsible for the choice made by author.

I understand ''if you don't like my mod, don't use it'' attitude to some degree. But the authors literally have nothing to fear when treating people badly and even insult them. This needs to solved first before forced donation gets put on the table.

Also your argument is childish and based on assumptions. You are like players in Overwatch's bronze league who will creep around people's profiles like it is some kind of superpower and spam ''You have X hours on Hanzo, you suck, omg''. An example being that you've assumed this is my first account or this account represents my relation date with Nexus, in reality, things are different. I remember my first ever account to get banned because an author insulted me in a really bad concept and I responded back. My relation with Nexus dates back approximately to pre-release of Oldrim.

In the end, it is not okay for users to express opinions but it is okay to get donations from the users that are being forbid to express opinions.
qwormuli wrote: Well, authors sometimes getting fed up with users is expected, not balked at. Check any mod with "can't/won't come to Xbox" in the description, and you find at least two ponces asking for it in the comment section(at that situation they should ask permission to port it on Xbone themselves, if anything). The same is with almost every clearly stated fact or policy. Then there are the ones, who even get upset at the mod author not jumping at every comment like that. And of course there is "bestest ever" comments in the section, different strokes for different folks and all that. With that, though, this is not some Deviantart, where every slightest criticism is met with ban, and i too have made less flattering comments with no repercussions(fancy that). I might just suspect, that you were a bit more of an ass, that you're letting in on.

Also, mod authors should never fear user responce, and vice versa. We are all members of this site, other just upload their creations. Also, this is an opt-in system, you aren't forced to contribute anything.

Yeah an user asks whether an MCM support is coming for that mod or not and I quote the author's response:

I don't have a choice do I?

Just go see yourself and find out if it is true or not.

And this author gets rich by the clicks of the same user that he just treated like a bag of puke?

Even worse, you still insist on licking the author's boots after witnessing many occurances like this? Then it is you where the corruption begins.

You should direct your suspicion to the less imaginary concepts like ''Am I actually smart as much as I think I am?'' etc. because obviously you can't figure out who is being ass or not. No one ever talked about user responses. you did not even read the whole comment but somehow you have a justified idea about how to oppose it. Edited by SanguinBlack