[wip] plantigrade feet for beast races

Grimoa

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just letting interessted people know that the mod is not dead.

I took a bit of time off from thesis writing, had fun with sculptris and managed to bake my first object space normal map :dance:

After a quick ingame look I already decided I want more details. (Along with a proper texture and specular map of course!) But that will have to wait.

teaser:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/h26401dj/bakedfeet.png

Yep, I know, it's a rare instance these days.

But I couldn't resist and went over the high poly model again. And baked the normal map again.

Afterwards I realized there is a difference between the right and the left foot.... In terms of object space normal maps at least.

So after some reading it turns out:

I have to invert the red channel when comparing the right foot to the left

Aaaand Skyrim uses a non-standard format, so the green and blue channel must be switched.

Let's see, I had a to do list somewhere, right? Ah yes.

To do list for version 1.1

I'm considering to do an argonian-only update first und leave the khajiit overhaul for version 1.2... hmmm

The list shows the progress on the argonian feet only.

**textures**

*make better textures & normal map for the claws (halfway done, needs some tweaking, looks to bright and shiny)

*texture for the feet

*normal map for the feet (at least I hope it's done.)

*specular map for the feet

**meshes**

*get rid of the polys on the claws done

*make the feet bigger (femals a bit, males a bit more)

---> female_0, female_1, male_0, male_1 (because I decided to use my own texture, meshes are basically back at square one. let's hope I can avoid the weight slider issues this time.)

*tweak weight painting, (I think the position of the ball of the foot looks off when sneaking.) done

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/vck93ept/bakedfeet2.png

I can think of no way to not get a pattern mismatch at the ankle. I hope I can conceal it with the texture a bit.

Other than that I am quite pleased with the outcome. :cool:

Edited by Grimoa

Wow, thanks, that's really motivating!

Actually in the latest image I got really nice lighting from the setting sun. The talons are the same as in the picture before, only they don't look that nice at noon. I have to check which specular map I used, if fear it's plain white. :psyduck:

Budz42, please don't stop working on your quest! I image it's a ton of work even for small quests... So it's a big :thumbsup: to everyone who's willing to do that.

Oh, and for the record: I can think of to possibilities to match my feet texture to the legs, if I had the high poly body model Beth used (I don't) or if I could load textures in sculptris (I can't). Oh well.

Edited by Grimoa