Black Loading Screen, Long Load Times

srmacpherson

I haven't played FO4 in a very long time.

Now when I do, there are no graphics during the loading screens and they take around 30 seconds, maybe more to load. Inside AND outside locations.

No hardware changes to my computer since I last played.

GTX 970, latest drivers.

Win 10 64

i7-6700K

Samsung SSD (tried on two, thinking my old one was sluggish or something)

Before, when I played not long after the game was released, my load screens were so fast that I couldn't read the text.

Now, there are no graphics during the load screens, just the Vault Tec icon in the bottom right.

A couple of times, it just froze during a load.

It doesn't much matter how large the area is being loaded. I quit and began searching forums when the game took more than thirty seconds to load a basement. A basement!

I did a vanilla re-install onto a different SSD, no mods, same issues.

from all of the looking I did, nobody seems to have found a solution to this. There are Alt-Tab bandaids, V-Sync bandaids, things I don't want to try because theyre far too f*#@ing complicated bandaids.

It doesn't seem to be mod-related.

has anyone discovered an actual fix to this?

Or perhaps a reason behind it?

If your using a lots of texture replacer mods - particularly of the 4k variety, you're gonna see big increases in load times. Not that I'm certain that's what causing it for the op (as no list of mods used was included)

It's just based on my own past experience with this happening. You could perhaps try loading up the vanilla game minus mods to test if there's a difference in load times. Saying that, it's unusual to have such slow speeds on an SSD install.

I've had this issue since a few months after release, I've never found a solution to it. Only thing I can point to is some update to either the game, nvidia drivers, intel CPUs or windows 10 causing it. Even after buying a brand new computer it kept happening and the only thing the two computers had in common was the brand of the GPU and CPU and the OS.

It doesn't have anything to do with using mods or not. I've even tried it without any DLCs and it still happens. Load accelerator that Gorsha links to doesn't work either.

• 2 months later...

Windows 7 also. Seven hundred and thirty mods installed of which around one-hundred and fifty are 2 and 4K retexture mods. No extra long loading times here. Not the most powerful rig either, with an i7-3770k, 16GB KHX 1600MHz RAM and an MSI RX470 8GB GPU...

I have an old 6 core i7 with HT. Here is the loading times of locations with all the cores and only two (via Affinity) cores:

from The Fens to Hardware Town: all cores with HT - 10 sec / 2 cores - 4 sec
from Hardware Town to The Fens: all cores with HT - 40 sec / 2 cores - 7 sec

If I'll use bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1 or "pcb" each time, loading times will be about 3 and 20 secs accordingly.

New save file (coc actually). There is definitely something wrong here :dry: Other people also complain about this.

• 2 months later...

My solution is calling "intermission". So lets go out to the lobby/kitchen and get ourselves a drink.

I do know that it wasn't in the game when launched. I was added as a feature about the time the DLCs came out. I am still surprised that they don't show adds.

To be fair I cause the long load times in my game. My inis are set up that way so I don't get texture issues. If I go vanilla with the inis I can cut load times buy 50%. Then I do I get texture issues.

I also know it isn't a hardware thing. I have had my game on 7200 rpm HD, 10,000 rpm HD & SATA SSD. The load times are the same.

Some time in the future I will have a go at fixing it again. Until then I will sync my entering load doors with the oven timer.

Later