Fenced food item bug

masternoxx

I have noticed this bug, when I sell stolen food to Ongar (or another fence I think), and then try to buy it back, on I believe the second food item purchased, the game will crash 100% of the time. It may also have something to do with the size of the stack of items. Anyways what do you do to buy your food items back? If you exit and enter the house will it not crash? Anyone know what is going on and the solution? I will update thanks

I noticed this bug pal...

this is Oblivion engine bug regarding stacked item of same type

the case could be something like this, assuming pc has 43 apples

because Oblivion differ stack based on ownership or leveled list or script item type...

the 43 apples could be something like this example --> 10 apples + 5 apples + 1 apples + 27 apples

when the command remove called upon the target actor to that stacked apple, the game would crash...

I've reported this bug to Tiawar, the EngineBugFix creator and his answer is like this

short answer : this bug can't be fixed easily

long answer (his original writing) : Your CTDs are caused by some bugged extra data in the internal stacks for the potatoes and bread loafs. The culprit is leveled list created items. Items created by leveled lists store the source list inventory index so they can be removed when the actor/container respawns. This makes them rather fragile since any changes to the number or order of the leveled lists in the inventory will result in a wrong list index. What's more, when you remove such an item and the stack count reaches 0 then the code sets the Count property to a negative value. This is quite weird and while some code sections seem to be ware of this other sections are clearly not and return a wrong count value which can cause trouble. I'm still not sure WHERE the bug is in this. But it's only part of the bigger problem of the inventory changes code itself, which is probably the biggest mess in the entire code with many bugs and several memory leaks (harmless since very small). The coding is so convoluted that probably only a complete rewrite can save it. But that would be a huge task and most likely conflict with other plugins like OR or even some OBSE functions. For similar reasons I've not been able to make a fix for the disappearing items bug we talked about before.

So, as it stands, I can't offer you a real solution to the problem atm. Maybe sometime in the future.

Indeed that mod could avoid the ctd issue,

But

User not know when this ctd bug would happening, so I'm afraid this is not efficient solution. Because user must do this routine every time want to do a barter transaction? That could be hassle

Also

I think for some people it could be considered cheating or lore breaking or game breaking if pc must do that routine every time.

So for this bug

the best solution that I can think of is by removing the buggy stack before player do transaction with merchant that have this buggy item stack issue..

I use Stolen Item Ownership to clear the stolen flag on things like food etc. Just drop the item from your inventory and pick it back up while unseen (items that are not in containers are automatically cleared when you pick them up).

I started using it as I feel it unreasonable that if you take something (either from a container or just laying there) and are completely unseen doing it that somehow everybody knows that is a stolen item. Yes it's a bit of a pain dropping the items you've taken from a container and then picking them back up, but at least I don't have items in my inventory with the stolen flag any longer.

My guess was that masternoxx was selling the food to Ongar and then wanting to buy it back simply to clear the stolen flag ... Stolen Item Ownership is a way around needing to do that. I regularly sell non-food items that have been cleared using the mod without problems (mind you I'm not attempting to buy any of that stuff back ... the food I'm keeping to eat).

your guess probably right Striker,

Noxx seems want to clear out the stolen flag

same here,

I need to keep the food items for pc needs

so I rarely encounter that stacked item ctd bug

still...

that bug is harmful

it could be happen anywhere anytime without user know when it will gonna happen, since the stacked item is shown as one stack (like my example 43 apples has 4 stacks but in inventory shown only as 1 stack -- which is not)