Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57207131. #57207521, #57209031, #57209301, #57209331, #57210181, #57210331, #57210641, #57211246, #57211921 are all replies on the same post.

Mebantiza wrote: Nice, the same hideous, barely legible interface that the 'new' nexus uses, now rears its fugly head in 'Vortex' as well. Just perfect. An immediate turn-off, since it looks exactly like the wildly (UN)popular 'new' nexus look. If you were worried Vortex was going force MO on you, that was the least of your worries. They asked the same guy that made the nexus barely usable, and barely legible , if he would skin 'vortex' as well.

What a mess.

Who thought wed want to see nexus news , or latest mods even baked into this? Yes, those can be turned off, but still.

1/10
RadioactiveStud wrote: Sounds like you didn't even try to use it. Also I don't see what's wrong with the UI. It's super easy to use.
OnyxSix wrote: I'm with Mebantiza here. Vortex, along with the new nexus, is very poorly designed and laid out. It just seems like a worse looking, less user friendly version of ModDrop(Which is where I'm moving if Nexus doesn't get their s#*! together tbh)
Ethreon wrote: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
nappilydeestructio wrote: Honestly I respectfully disagree with you. I wasn't into the new UI at first when nexusmods update it because it had some issues But now that its fixed, it looks fine and simple. I really didn't like the old look at all. It was a lil dated and it was clunky to me tbh. To me its not that bad looking. I have seen worst looking UIs and its hella worst than what nexusmods has now.
rcdcce wrote: I think this post can be awarded over statement of the year.

Aside from a few annoyances the new Nexus layout is fine. It's not like the old one was perfect.
Oblitus wrote: New nexus is really bad. Huge amounts of wasted space, weird composition, and it looks like a mess overall. It's just a bunch of merging and intersecting rectangles without any hierarchy.
rincewindTA wrote: I like the actual Nexus design. I found it perfectly functional and easy to use. And looks neat too.
RadioactiveStud wrote: You guys are all talking about the new nexus, but that has nothing to do with vortex. They don't really look alike.
APasz wrote: If you think you can do better, by all means design and share it.
Keep in mind that your design has to fit correctly on everything from a mobile phone to a ultrawide monitor, also be usable with touch.
I'm not even going to try and explain why everything was designed the way it was.

> Keep in mind that your design has to fit correctly on everything from a mobile phone to a ultrawide monitor, also be usable with touch.
> I'm not even going to try and explain why everything was designed the way it was.

You already did. It is designed for a mobile phone and is technically usable at normal monitors. That what always happens when you design a universal interface - you are limited by the weakest implementation.

In response to post #57211396. #57211626 is also a reply to the same post.

jaderiver wrote:

Hello, I have just now been able to grab and download a copy being 10.00 am my time aussie time ..

It installed just fine , I could never wrap my head around about how to use mo , which is why I prefered to use nmm in the first place, I thought it was easier over all..

But do want to give this a try, but like others, dong like I dont have control of my load order per say , ...

That all been said , I cant Look at the program to see whats what, because atm its only giving me too choices, to either login / register or quit :ohmy: :huh: :ermm:

I'm always logged into nmm mod page btw ... so do I need to restart my computer thing and try re opening the program ?

I also read the "known issues" thread, but thats locked so I posted here .. :happy:

Dark0ne wrote: Press the login button.

I do and did, but its not happening or going any further than that , I did do the restart as it installed just fine .. just not letting me do the login thing ?

It functions perfectly for FO4. The format is a lot easier to use than the NMM and it keeps track of your files a lot better. Not quite as handy as Mod Organizer, but maybe some more features will be forthcoming in the full release. I especially like the mod versions where you can swap between different versions of the same file allowing to rollback if an update wasn't quite ready for release. The dependencies system works well, and the profile switching is pretty similar to MO. All around happy with the new tool. Very well done. Edited by nagothm

In response to post #57211396. #57211626, #57212576 are all replies on the same post.

jaderiver wrote:

Hello, I have just now been able to grab and download a copy being 10.00 am my time aussie time ..

It installed just fine , I could never wrap my head around about how to use mo , which is why I prefered to use nmm in the first place, I thought it was easier over all..

But do want to give this a try, but like others, dong like I dont have control of my load order per say , ...

That all been said , I cant Look at the program to see whats what, because atm its only giving me too choices, to either login / register or quit :ohmy: :huh: :ermm:

I'm always logged into nmm mod page btw ... so do I need to restart my computer thing and try re opening the program ?

I also read the "known issues" thread, but thats locked so I posted here .. :happy:

jaderiver wrote: I do and did, but its not happening or going any further than that , I did do the restart as it installed just fine .. just not letting me do the login thing ?

I had that happen a couple times during the day. I just closed it and started it up again and it would work on the restart.

In response to post #57207131. #57207521, #57209031, #57209301, #57209331, #57210181, #57210331, #57210641, #57211246, #57211921, #57212311 are all replies on the same post.

Mebantiza wrote: Nice, the same hideous, barely legible interface that the 'new' nexus uses, now rears its fugly head in 'Vortex' as well. Just perfect. An immediate turn-off, since it looks exactly like the wildly (UN)popular 'new' nexus look. If you were worried Vortex was going force MO on you, that was the least of your worries. They asked the same guy that made the nexus barely usable, and barely legible , if he would skin 'vortex' as well.

What a mess.

Who thought wed want to see nexus news , or latest mods even baked into this? Yes, those can be turned off, but still.

1/10
RadioactiveStud wrote: Sounds like you didn't even try to use it. Also I don't see what's wrong with the UI. It's super easy to use.
OnyxSix wrote: I'm with Mebantiza here. Vortex, along with the new nexus, is very poorly designed and laid out. It just seems like a worse looking, less user friendly version of ModDrop(Which is where I'm moving if Nexus doesn't get their s#*! together tbh)
nappilydeestructio wrote: Honestly I respectfully disagree with you. I wasn't into the new UI at first when nexusmods update it because it had some issues But now that its fixed, it looks fine and simple. I really didn't like the old look at all. It was a lil dated and it was clunky to me tbh. To me its not that bad looking. I have seen worst looking UIs and its hella worst than what nexusmods has now.

Aside from a few annoyances the new Nexus layout is fine. It's not like the old one was perfect.
Oblitus wrote: New nexus is really bad. Huge amounts of wasted space, weird composition, and it looks like a mess overall. It's just a bunch of merging and intersecting rectangles without any hierarchy.
rincewindTA wrote: I like the actual Nexus design. I found it perfectly functional and easy to use. And looks neat too.
RadioactiveStud wrote: You guys are all talking about the new nexus, but that has nothing to do with vortex. They don't really look alike.
Keep in mind that your design has to fit correctly on everything from a mobile phone to a ultrawide monitor, also be usable with touch.
I'm not even going to try and explain why everything was designed the way it was.
Oblitus wrote: > Keep in mind that your design has to fit correctly on everything from a mobile phone to a ultrawide monitor, also be usable with touch.
> I'm not even going to try and explain why everything was designed the way it was.

You already did. It is designed for a mobile phone and is technically usable at normal monitors. That what always happens when you design a universal interface - you are limited by the weakest implementation.

Are you suggesting that a web dev can't distinguish between a mobile phone and desktop?

In response to post #57207131. #57207521, #57209031, #57209301, #57209331, #57210181, #57210331, #57210641, #57211246, #57211921, #57212311, #57212726 are all replies on the same post.

What a mess.

1/10

Oblitus wrote: > Keep in mind that your design has to fit correctly on everything from a mobile phone to a ultrawide monitor, also be usable with touch.

APasz wrote: Are you suggesting that a web dev can't distinguish between a mobile phone and desktop?

> Are you suggesting that a web dev can't distinguish between a mobile phone and desktop?

They can. But proper design means two totally separate implementations for them. It takes much less effort to make it for a phone and make an extra move to make it still usable when stretched to the desktop size.

It applies not only to web design; it is a general rule. Cross-platform games and pc-exclusive ones usually easy to distinguish too.

In response to post #57211396. #57211626, #57212576, #57212711 are all replies on the same post.

jaderiver wrote:

This Is where I'm stuck at after 2 restarts

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/jaderiver/th_Vortex_zpsisxe4afk.jpg

Then this

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/jaderiver/Vortex201_zpsfzahji7g.jpg

Clicking login does not get me anywhere .. :mellow:

jaderiver wrote: I do and did, but its not happening or going any further than that , I did do the restart as it installed just fine .. just not letting me do the login thing ?
nagothm wrote: I had that happen a couple times during the day. I just closed it and started it up again and it would work on the restart.

Just so you know where I'm at I took a couple of screenshots to where I cant get past , I've tried 2 restarts now .. ( win 7 )
1st this -- http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/jaderiver/th_Vortex_zpsisxe4afk.jpg

Then this -- http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah206/jaderiver/Vortex201_zpsfzahji7g.jpg

Then nothing
Edited by jaderiver

In response to post #57207691. #57208691, #57208836, #57209126 are all replies on the same post.

Yusei0 wrote: I Like Vortex inself Overlay etc but i dont like it becurse i cant change my Load Order By Hand. I Hope it will be added i really dont what give controll over my Load Order to "LOOT"
cortex56 wrote: Second this. I was just about to post same thing.
Is there a manual load adjustment?
cortex56 wrote: Under dependencies, I found you are able to change the meta data as far as load after. This will work for manual load ordering, however, it is not very user friendly for a large mod list. A move up or down arrow in front of each plugin name would be awesome if possible.
Yusei0 wrote: yes that was NMM have i really dont get why Vortex dont have it and i asked in Forum No Way atm switched back to NMM

Its also not on a file by file but mod by mod, so no more cherry picking those texture packs to make your own look im afraid.

In response to post #57206606. #57211856 is also a reply to the same post.

RadioactiveStud wrote: I don't know if this was intended but using hardlink deployment right now and when disabling a mod, all the files are removed from the game folder as intended but the folders stay when they are empty (eg. meshes).

Also I'm assuming softlink will never work for SSE or Fallout 4?
Elianora wrote: Why are you writing here? There's a "Send feedback" built into the program itself. They'll probably see it quicker if you go there :D

I did already :)