i f***ing give up on trying to mod

larryearlbagby

there are no guidelines for interoperability with this s#*!. constantly losing game time from corrupt saves due to s#*! mods, s#*! load orders and being unable to find some kind of f*#@ing clear remedy to the problem. most modders give instructions for other modders who are well versed in what the f*#@ is going on. CTD ALL f*#@ING DAY! the mods are amazing. but all this f*#@ing clashing and overwriting just shits on all the work done. i give up. deleted games saves and mods. im done. f*#@ it.

It can be very frustrating to make mods work some times- I'll grant you that. It is a process that you learn by doing.....over and over again. If you ever get the urge to try again, start small and work your way up. Iv'e had to test and test and test and test some more to make sure my games are halfway stable. Believe me when I say that once you learn more about your games and how they and mods work, it does get easier. :smile:

Neither making or using mods is for the faint of heart. Using some mod managers, LOOT utility, reading up on how mods work (and don't) can help you immensely. That being said, it does sometime require a bit of trial and error. I have been putting mods in games (and making the small one for myself) for like nine years now and I still get things screwed up.

I'm not sure what game to which you are referring, which maybe could help me, help you. It can be frustrating but some things like understanding load orders, reading the descriptions and full instructions of each mod, installing only one mod at a time then testing your game, making save backups before you install a mod and having a base understanding of what types of mods do what is a necessary basic level of understanding to make your life easier. Each games mods are a bit different and the tools developed today to help putting mods in a game are not always as effective on older games.

Mod authors don't often know what other mods may conflict with their mods, so they can't tell you. Other members may let them know and they can include this information. Mod authors won't always and should not be expected to try to make their mods conflict free with ever mod people have in their games. Most mods are made "as is" and as long as they are not trying to deliberately destroy something you have to play with the hand you are dealt.

I do understand you are frustrated and I hope that any request for help from mod authors or others has not been presented in the same, erm *cough* level of frustration that you present here.

So if you have some more specifics I or someone here, might be able to help you better. Or at least point you in the right direction. But in the end we can't do it all for you. You have to be willing to learn, and maybe have to lose some saves, have a late night reinstall or have to learn by screwing it right up. :smile: You won't be the first that broke a mouse throwing it when she couldn't get Skyrim to install on her new Windows 8.1 (and this was a "friend" of mine..I SWEAR!)

Good luck! And don't break your mouse and don't forget to be polite.

~Lisnpuppy

Beginners need to go slow. Learn to crawl before you try to walk or run. It isn't rocket science... except that when you are new and don't know how any of it works then it may as well be rocket science.

installing only one mod at a time then testing your game, making save backups before you install a mod and having a base understanding of what types of mods do what is a necessary basic level of understanding to make your life easier.

Good advice.

One of the problems for new mod users is their reliance on mod managers, which basically prevent them from learning how mods work. IMO new modders should be encouraged to learn how to manually install mods. Just looking at the folder structure and opening up some of the files, (image.dds files in an image editor, mesh.nifs in nifskope, and scripts in a text editor) can open your eyes to how a mod works.

OKAY! Woooooo! Kinda lost it there didn't I? First and foremost, I'm sorry for losing my temper like that. I was lazy and impatient with what I was doing. Being new to this amazing world of modding, I thought everything was plug and play, until it wasn't (CTD). Second order of business, THANK YOU FOR BEING SO UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENT!! Where I expected, "Git Gud", I got encouragement instead, and right away started thinking that i should reinstall and try again. So I did. Starting fresh is probably go to help a lot.

I do understand you are frustrated and I hope that any request for help from mod authors or others has not been presented in the same, erm *cough* level of frustration that you present here.

No, no. I wouldn't even think to do that. This was a failure on my part to understand exactly wtf I'd stuck my hand into. I was just ticked at where my inexperience and ignorance had led me.

Here's to a fresh start! Thanks for the support and kind words you guys! :D

OKAY! Woooooo! Kinda lost it there didn't I? First and foremost, I'm sorry for losing my temper like that. I was lazy and impatient with what I was doing. Being new to this amazing world of modding, I thought everything was plug and play, until it wasn't (CTD). Second order of business, THANK YOU FOR BEING SO UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENT!! Where I expected, "Git Gud", I got encouragement instead, and right away started thinking that i should reinstall and try again. So I did. Starting fresh is probably go to help a lot.

No, no. I wouldn't even think to do that. This was a failure on my part to understand exactly wtf I'd stuck my hand into. I was just ticked at where my inexperience and ignorance had led me.

Here's to a fresh start! Thanks for the support and kind words you guys! :D

I will warn you in advance..... Once you start, it's got you. You will always be tweaking something, and checking out the mods, and thinkin' "Hey, THAT one would compliment my game quite nicely!"...... and you will spend more time modding your game, than playing it...... and if you get it REALLY bad...... you won't be able to find 'exactly' what you are looking for, so, you will start in with the Editor. (CS) Then it's REALLY got you. :)

Congrats! And: Condolences. :D

Modding can be HIGHLY rewarding, and WAY to much FUN!!! Run with it.

Ha ha ha!

Yes HeyYou is corrent. Always tweaking and finding new content. Thus the screwing up of games and learning by that screwing up.

But I wish you luck! And if you DO screw up, then come to the proper forum and ask away or ask those nice people mod authors and others in the mod threads who very unsurprisingly, can help a great deal also!