⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

AAAHHHH SO HAPPY!!!!!

Rennn

cant you just play offline? i looked forward to the game if it ever comes to PC

If you forcibly disconnect from the internet you can play offline. Other than that, joining a beginner covenant makes it much more rare to be invaded.

I think I got invaded about once per session (which was about once per 2 hours) without being in the beginner covenant (I forgot the name, since I like being invaded I didn't use it much :D ), and I almost never got invaded when I was in the beginner covenant.

Edited by Rennn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does get ported, I'll surely be buying it. Oh, and hector? Not everybody wants everything for free. What challenge would it be otherwise?

This.

I loved getting free loot from the high level players in Borderlands, but never in Demon's Souls.

I remember I tried really hard to get the Insanity Catalyst (Best mage item ever, btw. It let me kill like anyone in one hit with a heavy spell). It was awesome to go through the epic boss fight (every boss fight was pretty epic, but this one let another player become the boss, lol), and finally upgrade to the Insanity Catalyst, which is pretty much a jagged metal magic wand in case you're wondering. I could get invaded and people would see that Catalyst and just run away sometimes! One Black Phantom saw me and disconnected on the spot. It was a remarkable status symbol.

It wouldn't have had a fraction of the worth if someone just handed it to me.

Edited by Rennn

well, now that i have both Demons Souls and Dark Souls Platinumed, i gotta say i liked Demons Souls much better. just throwing my fanboy opinion out there.

as for giving players items. well you have to summon them or get summoned first. you cant give them souls. most players have any items your going to give them anyways. so youd be useless. with the bottomless box glitch, mules arent as important in Dark Souls as they were in Demons Souls.

playing offline would completely counteract your point of giving things to other players and would really make the game boring. i love summoning other people. i like being summoned. i sometimes get together with a friend and we coop. and i like to be invaded sometimes.

although i will say now, PvP in Dark Souls is a god damn joke. it takes NO SKILL whatsoever anymore, compared to Demon Souls. they fixed it slightly with the patch, but Lightning weapons are still extremely powerful. Greatswords will catch you in a Stun Lock and kill you in 3 hits (though its relatively easy to avoid) and the big killer for DkS PvP, is the fact the Backstabs are soo damn easy to get. you can get caught in a Backstab while running, rolling, attacking, during most animations, and there is pretty much a 180 degree area where if they hit R1, you got back stabbed. its MUCH easier to get in Dark Souls, and with there being no Second Chance spell, its just stupid really. it doesnt usually OHKO you at full health, but it will take away 90% easily. and since they can Back Stab you again during the animation of you getting up or rolling away, it just makes PvP a joke like i said.

being in the Way of White (the covenant you were trying to think of Renn) doesnt prevent you from being invaded. all it does is give you a slightly larger range in which you can be summoned. much like the Princess Guard and the Warrior of Sunlight Covenants (the later being the best for coop)

lastly, in both games (Demons Souls and Dark Souls) Magic is weak in PvP. in both games, it was extremely easy to dodge. Demons Souls was a bit harder once people leaned to Pivot Cast and would fireball you after knocking you down with something, but for the most part, magic is useless in PvP as its soo easy to dodge. except Wrath of God in Dark Souls, as it casts so fast, but with only 3 uses and doing such little damage if blocked, its easy to bait their uses and then you dont have to worry about it. personally, even as a mage in Demons Souls, i never used IC. you had to put too many points in INT to make use of it since it halved your MP. Talisman of Beasts, while it did give you as much magic power, was better imo.

The PS3 has lag in practically every big online game though, which in an open-world game like Dark Souls was extreme, and caused a lot of lagstabs. Hopefully the pvp will be a bit less backstabby in a PC release, if indeed one ever sees the light of day.

im not afraid of PVP what so ever. ive seen streams of it and from what i understand PVP works like this, you miss you die, you counter attack you win. ill never seen any pvp takes more then 3 hits. PVP is a lot like an imbalanced mmo!

http://i.imgur.com/MkxUu.jpg

Translation:

"The very difficult console RPG is finally conquering your PC."

Link to where you can buy the magazine, to show that it's real:

http://shop.computec.de/pc-action/heftbestellung/monatsausgaben

News articles:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/07/petition-attrition-dark-souls-confirmed-for-pc/

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/first-detail-revealed-for-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition

http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/04/07/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-to-come-to-pc-in-august/

http://gameplay.pl/news.asp?ID=67300

http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-coming-to-pc-in-august

"Dark Souls: Prepare to die" edition is coming to PC in August!

Includes brand new bosses, but everything else will be the same. Graphics too.

http://commadot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/memWin.png

Epic win guys! Epic win!

Edited by Iv000

OMFG Yes!

I think when August rolls around, Skyrim will be collecting dust for a long while, mods or not. I may as well just use Sniper: Ghost Warrior as a coaster.

But yeah, on another note, the HUD was pretty big. It was designed for 480p SD screens, since they couldn't count on everyone having 1080p ones, so it needed to be big. There isn't the modularity that PC games usually have. Either way it doesn't bother me too much. Dark Souls will be the best game in my collection, by far, even if it keeps the exact same console GUI.

I do hope they don't remove any bosses though. How could they reconcile the lore to replace the Elemental Lords, Quelaag, or the dragons? It wouldn't make sense. Hopefully they just add extra bosses or replace the minibosses or something, rather than replacing the main bosses.

I also wonder about the price. If this is a new edition technically, will they charge the full $60? I'd buy it for $100 regardless, but of course I'd prefer something lower since it took over a year to reach the PC. Meh, I don't care much either way since I'm definitely buying it on day one, but college is coming up and I really shouldn't be spending a lot of money on entertainment.

I am glad that they aren't changing the graphics, however. The bumpmaps were superb on the 360 and PS3, and the textures were high-end as well on the PS3 version, though the 360 got compressed ones. The general style and ambience of the game is just about flawless, and the game really has a sense of presence that you don't find often. Remaking the textures and models would cost FROM valuable dev time that could be better spent ensuring a good port with decent optimization and few bugs. Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering can be forced through my drivers, and hopefully Ambient Occlusion for Nvidia owners as well, and that'll fix the few flaws of the console version. Jaggies would occasionally become noticeable in areas with a lot of geometry, and that'll be fixed at least.

Edited by Rennn