ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Fallout 4: Not a Sole Survivor Mod Proposal

e22big

Hi

I was thinking about creating a mod that do basically what the title said - make your character no longer the sole survivor. The aim of the mod is to create more immersive experience for the users of Alternative Start, I want to do this by incorporating aspect of no voice MC mod and creating new mechanic to start main quest instead of suddenly transformed into Nate/Nora.

Basically, I want to give you a no vice (not even when lock pick or pick up item) MC with all conversation related to main quest removed and main quest mechanic locked up (Fort Hagen, some conversation option with Piper and Nick). From this point you may play as completely new character until you feel ready to finish the game. You will start main quest by going to Vault 111 and activate Nora frozen pod. This will activate Nora companion NPC who will have normal conversation game conversation. From this point on you all main quest mechanic will be unlocked when you have Nora as companion. The NPC Nora will basically do all the the talk option when it come to main quest stuff.

Problem is I have zero modding experience but I think the concept so far should be simple enough (since we already have Nora mod companion but if she's incompatible somehow, making new follower just for this should not be too hard). So I want to ask a more experienced modder out there - is this concept feasible? is there any thing I should know before start making this mod?

Honestly, it will probably be best if someone just took the idea and make it happened but I guess that will be asking too much. For now, I just want some advice before I fire up CK and start working.

Thanks in advance

OK, what you proposed... is not even remotely easy. Here is exactly the type of people you need to look for. You need to find some modders on Nexus who have at some point done a 'custom/alternate start mod.' There are only a handful of them in existence, and trust me... most of them are in retirement. Just off the top of my head 'The Eagle Has Landed' for Fallout 3, 'Alternate Start' for Skyrim, etc. You might also want to hit up the TTW Mod Team since they did the port of Fallout 3 into Fallout New Vegas. You are also going to have to do your own scripted questline with custom events for all of the main quests. That... is a massive amount of scripting for a single person to undertake. That having been said, you aren't totally doomed. Most of the default questline can probably be reverse engineered, but... the events are a different problem entirely. If you have limited knowledge of the Creation Kit and just started modding... I recommend researching scripting to see if you have a head for it before starting something like this because about 90% of the scripting will need to be done by you. I say this because most freelance scripters on Nexus... have their own projects, and those who are willing to contribute elsewhere tend to want a proof of concept before dedicating their time onto someone else's ideas.

hey, thanks for the advise

Damn, didn't know that it going to be that hard. What I have in mind is make the mod reliance on AS so that I don't have to recreate everything from scratch, and may be do like you've said just disable the main quest, re-made something with slight modification and put it to use. I didn't know that it will require so much coding effort

Thanks any way, I'll see what I can do to make the project more manageable