Glossyness headache...

Urwy

Edit:

Problem Solved! Headache is over!

Hello fellow modders!

I've run into a little trouble along my path of creating a modders resource... This problem involves the shininess of ingame items.

Now i know that the alpha channel and environment maps affect the shininess of an item, along with the actual values inside the Nif file. But lowering those values, clearing the alpha channel for 99% or darkening the Env. map didn't seem to do anything to solve this.

Now i've also been comparing my textures (_D, _N & _M) against the vanilla textures to see where i went wrong. Either i'm missing something, or i'm just a complete idiot..

For visual reference:

This is how the vanilla stuff looks, and the way i'd like my weapons to look:

And this is how my stuff currently looks:

I'm hoping that some has any other ideas than what ive already tried to solve this.

Edited by Urwy

What format are you using to save the .dds files?

Should be DXT 5 for Diffuse Maps and Normal Maps and can be DXT 1 for specular/mask maps

What is the LightingShaderProperty type in the .nif? for the various parts '0' or '1'

What cubemap (if any) is being referenced in the textureset ?

What do you have the emissive colour set too? And what is the lighting effect value set at

Is Vertex Color Yes or No

Is NumUV Sets in the NiTriShape set to 4097? (not sure if that right for swords though?)

Sorry for the long list, but it may help t clarify what's causing the problem for you ...

What format are you using to save the .dds files?

Should be DXT 5 for Diffuse Maps and Normal Maps and can be DXT 1 for specular/mask maps

What is the LightingShaderProperty type in the .nif? for the various parts '0' or '1'

What cubemap (if any) is being referenced in the textureset ?

What do you have the emissive colour set too? And what is the lighting effect value set at

Is Vertex Color Yes or No

Is NumUV Sets in the NiTriShape set to 4097? (not sure if that right for swords though?)

Sorry for the long list, but it may help t clarify what's causing the problem for you ...

Yeah, im useing DXT1 for Diffuse and spec maps. DXT5 for normal.

LightingShaderProperty is set to 1 (Environment map.)

No emissive colors. Those wouldnt even work if the LightingShaderProperty isnt set to 2.

Vertex colors is set to Yes.

And the NumUV is set to 4097. (from what i know it has to be for the normalmap to work.. or is there more to it?)

Sorry i didnt include that to begin with, But since i use a vanilla Nif-file to build my weapons, i figured that shouldnt be the problem...

Specular map placed in the normal map's alpha channel?

Yeah, and added some more alpha value as well to make sure there werent any opaque areas left. :/

I'll cook up a little preview so people can see the textures...

Edited by Urwy

I guess it would be easier to upload the whole thing, afaik you can't make many error in the creation of the maps...well i save all maps as DX5, when you applied a correct specular i would see no other problem that might cause this error...can imagine that the problem is in the nif.

I guess it would be easier to upload the whole thing, afaik you can't make many error in the creation of the maps...well i save all maps as DX5, when you applied a correct specular i would see no other problem that might cause this error...can imagine that the problem is in the nif.

Im feeling more stupid by the minute :(

Anyway, its not my first model that has this. Although my first few models ever didnt have this problem, which might be due to them not using vertex colors... but right now im probably to confused to tell up from down :wallbash:

Link to blade with similar issues as the one in the image attached to the OP:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/download.php?id=49346

And in case anyone wants to do a comparison with one of the first blades i mentioned:

1: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/download.php?id=42581

2: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/download.php?id=40472

Yeah, im useing DXT1 for Diffuse and spec maps. DXT5 for normal.

:thumbsup:

LightingShaderProperty is set to 1 (Environment map.)

Do you have both an environment map and an environment mask map created and set up in the correct slots?

you need to darken the _m not the environment map itself

...well i save all maps as DX5,

And you save diffuse maps with no alpha transparency as DXT5 as well?

Why do that?

Edited by Ghogiel

Some things i've seen in ya files without trying it ingame:

- The diffuse of your blade is veeeery bright/white, some other settings like emissive saturation/env map as well... in combination with the wrong cubemap this might cause such a massive effect.

- The BSLightningShaderProperties of your blade have no Environment Map Strength settings, they are greyed out...works when you copy/paste the properties from another block.

- There is a _m map for your longclaw's blade in the textures folder but it is not in its texture path

Ever tried it without those "torch glow" effects you put over the blade?

greetings

Edited by ghosu

Do you have both an environment map and an environment mask map created and set up in the correct slots?

you need to darken the _m not the environment map itself

ah, sorry 'bout that : thats what i meant :blush: the specular map (_M) is the darkened part. And i dont even touch the environment map. :)

Some things i've seen in ya files without trying it ingame:

- The diffuse of your blade is veeeery bright/white, some other settings like emissive saturation/env map as well... in combination with the wrong cubemap this might cause such a massive effect.

- The BSLightningShaderProperties of your blade have no Environment Map Strength settings, they are greyed out...works when you copy/paste the properties from another block.

- There is a _m map for your longclaw's blade in the textures folder but it is not in its texture path

Ever tried it without those "torch glow" effects you put over the blade?

greetings

Just checked some of my other weapons, and am getting to feeling that your onto something with the overly bright diffuse map :)

I'm gonna tone some things down a bit and see if that works :D

Edit:

Tons of typos :P

Edit²:

Seems you were right about the diffuse map :)

I never thought the actual diffusemap itself would affect the shininess as well :blush:

Proof:

Thanks Ghosu, Ghogiel and Perraine! Kudo's to all of you :)

I'm hereby relieved to announce that the headache is over! :happy:

Edited by Urwy