WARNING FOR FALSE STEAM ADMIN

amycus

I just got a chat invite on steam with the simple username of "admin". I thought it was odd, but accepted it to see what they had to say. I only got this message though:

Never tell your password to anyone.

Admin Hello you are welcomed by the administration steam. It is necessary for you to connect or update protection SteamGuard to your account to make it be authorised in steam h t t p : / / storensteamrestoftheadressremoved so that no one clicks it . If you do not execute it, the account will be disconnected in a current of 5 hours! For disconnected and ban accounts steam responsibility does not bear!

Admin is now Offline.

Since I thought it was quite odd how I suddenly had to manually update steamguard, the short timelimit before the account gets "disconnected and ban", and the adress beginning with "storeNsteampowered" instead of "store.steampowered", I googled a bit and found this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134485

I have already reported his account, but until then, please beware of this guy.

Edited by amycus

Yeah, I later noticed that the thread I had been reading was a few months old...

First time I had heard (and experianced) though, so I thought I would start a topic just in case.

Great. Poor Steam.

FYI, there is also an alert out on phonecalls from people claiming to be from Microsoft. They will try to get you on your PC and somehow grab all your info. the strange thing about it, is that they are contacting by phone.

You have to understand that no matter what kind of company it is there will always be scammers shortly after its inception. There is a phone number for one of the call centers for Geek Squad that if screwed up just a bit leads to a less than savory call service. Don't know what the number is nor do I care but it proves my point I think. And then of course you have the fake Antivirus companies and such.

Like I said, this is everywhere and, as much as it sucks, there is no way to end all of the scams without accumulating huge amounts of debt or stepping all over someone's rights....the easiest preventative measure is to be vigilant online and do research when something looks fishy...