Question about conflicts in the Mods tabs.

LawrenceFB

I having been trying out Vortex and the conflicts shown in the Mods tab, seem to me, to only between the loose files. Where you will always have conflicts with the Bethesda esm and esp, that is after all the whole point, I do not see any conflicts being flagged between loose files and files inside bsa or files in different bsa. Until/if we get the ability to select a winning file there is not a lot we can do about it on a per file basis. At least with information about conflicting bsa we can order plugins in the Plugin tab, other rules allowing, to choose the bsa with the most files we like :smile: .

I literally just logged in to create a topic about this issue and you already got me covered =]

Without being able to see conflicts between loose files and BSAs, how are we an average Joe (who is vortex obviously designed for) supposed to get the correct mod order?

Are we bsa extractin' now?/s

Edited by kamikatze13

Given that Tannin has stated that .bsa extraction was the worst mistake he made with MO, probably not...

My guess is that some sort of conflict detection will be implemented along with per-file override functionality somewhere down the line.

I hope, and a say this with fear and trepidation :smile: , that we will be given the option to choose a single file and regardless of anything else it will be used as the 'winning' loose file. This may need the file to be extracted from a bsa but if it is stored with the mod I do not think that would be too bad.

This would also allow a file in a bsa to be repaired without having to extract and the repack the bsa. Hopefully the open mod folder view can be changed to allow the user to browse bsa.

For me, I would like to see all mod folder changed being managed by Vortex and for people to get out of the habit of tinkering with the mods directly.

I realise this is contentious but it is what I would like.

Hasn't it always been the case that loose files in the Data Folder take priority and override anything within BSA's, regardless of where said mod and it's BSA appears in the load order? As Vortex is still operating like Nexus Mod Manager and not using a virtualisation system for mod installs, then I'd likely bet the same rule applies, that loose files installed by Vortex will take priority over content of BSAs in the Data Folder, the only way to allow a BSA to win the conflict would be to remove and delete the loose files you don't want.

Hasn't it always been the case that loose files in the Data Folder take priority and override anything within BSA's, regardless of where said mod and it's BSA appears in the load order? As Vortex is still operating like Nexus Mod Manager and not using a virtualisation system for mod installs, then I'd likely bet the same rule applies, that loose files installed by Vortex will take priority over content of BSAs in the Data Folder, the only way to allow a BSA to win the conflict would be to remove and delete the loose files you don't want.

I do not see why you would need to delete any loose file from a mod. Just, when you deploy, use a loose file extracted for the bsa you want to 'win'. Vortex is in total control of what is placed in the Data folder, just because in a non-organised setup where the last installed mod with loose files has its files used does not stop an organised setup choosing exactly what is in the data folder. It is also able to notice if some other application has changed a loose file and offer to keep the change or reinstate to original file. Reinstating from a mod with loose file could be interesting if the original download provided multiple copies of the file or the download was no longer available.

which is precisely the reason i don't understand how anyone could put up with NMM in the first place.

IMHO the abstraction of loose files vs BSAs (i.e. they're handled equally) as well as being able to load BSAs w/o dummy plugins or even force BSAs to override loose files is a useful feature i don't want to miss out on.

Edited by kamikatze13

As I understand it, Vortex has bowed to the reasons given by mod authors and chosen to keep bsa the way the game expects. This has nothing to do with virtual filesystems only how MO could, it the user desired, treated them. Vortex, on deployment, logically places the loose files into the Data folder in the load order so the last copy of a loose file 'wins'. There is no reason for a mod manager not to choose any file it wishes to be the winner even if it is in a bsa it just has to extract it. Treating bsa as loose files goes against the wishes of some mod authors but there is nothing stopping you from extracting them yourself and living with or fixing the consequences.

There does need to be a solution for mod load order to affect plugin order when the plugin rules allow it and plugins with bsa to be shown correctly in the mod order.

• 2 weeks later...