Inquiring Minds Want to Know

RedRavyn

This is for all of your "What is it with that?" questions. I'm putting it in "Spoilers" because there might be some of those in this thread.

I'll start with a list of ten "generic" questions.

1. When I kill a skeever with a fire-based spell why doesn't it drop "Charred Skeever Hide" as an ingredient?

2. Do saber cats only have one eye?

3. Do giants only have one toe?

4. Do Falmer only have one ear?

5. Do horkers and mammoths only have one tusk?

6. Why are there only a handful of people in all of Skyrim who will buy potatoes and carrots?

7. Why are "live" draugr dressed and "dead" ones are naked?

8. Does nobody in Skyrim understand that "yielding" doesn't mean you immediately attack after you get back up?

9. Just how do all these guards find out everything about me, anyway? It isn't as if I talk to anyone about these things.

10. Animals can run underwater. How do they do that?

1. Obviously, proper charred skeever hide can only be made after the hide is removed, so you can toast both sides evenly.

2. The other eye is where my arrow hit it, since I'm a great shot. Messy, but effective.

3. They clearly have two big toes, but they always stomp you with their right foot, causing injuries to that toe that render it useless alchemically.

4. I have encountered some that have two. The others are great admirers of Van Gogh and are inclined to imitate their hero.

5. The horker "tusk" is actually a baculum (look it up :)), so of course there is only one. They have to call it a "tusk" to maintain the teen rating. As for the mammoths, it may be best not to go there.

6. Because there just aren't that many people who are stupid enough to pay money for veggies that are available for free in quantities that could feed eight billion people for a century. For crying out loud, there are sacks of that stuff in people's bedrooms for some bizarre reason, not to mention laying around crypts that have been sealed for millenia. Only the Dwemer ruins seem to be free of produce, which makes sense as they seemed to prefer sitting down to meals of gyros and gears based on the contents of plates and bowls found everywhere down there.

7. It's like med-school humor. The "live" ones stole the clothes of the others as a gag. (Hey, do you really expect sophisticated wit from beings whose brains were eaten by worms thousands of years ago?)

8. The bozos you're beating on are bandits, evil mages, vampires, etc. Yet you expect them to be honest about yielding??

9. Cop instinct. What's more amazing is that they chatter about it freely with each other and with you, but never seem to pass the info on to anyone else. Which means that you -- Dragonborn with a couple of dozen dragon souls under your belt, Slayer of Alduin, Harbinger of the Companions, Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold, etc., etc. -- must constantly prove yourself to everyone you meet before they'll give you any serious mission. They'll send you out to kill an ice wraith or a couple of vampires, expecting that you'll die and stop bothering them.

10. Ask an American Dipper. They're experts at it.

Yes, nice answers, but I was actually looking for more questions of this nature. I could easily have listed fifty or more, but I was going to let other people throw in their own two-cents' worth. Anyway, answers to such questions are welcomed. They tend to make the questions even funnier.

Here is my rhetorical set of questions...

1: Why does a 1 lb dagger take 2.5 weight units and 135,000 gold coins take none?

2: Why are you the Last adventurer in Skyrim that was never shot in the knee?

3: Why at the Orc hold with the Ebony mine do they all use iron weapons and armor?

4: Why are ingots required to make specific shape items instead of picking your item shape when smithing?

5: At what point does Brinjolf know you have all that gold instead of so little gold in your pocket?

6: Why can't I stab a slaughter fish when I swim?

7: If Lydia truely wants to carry my burdens, can she carry herself?

8: How does a magic bow know when it hits (to reduce the soul charge)?

9: None of the Mammoth's appear to be female. What exactly is Mammoth Cheese?

10: Looking at a giant's toe, do you really want to eat one to see what it does?

11: Who lights the candles, torches and lamps in sealed, locked and forgetten ruins (and who replaces them when consumed)?

12: Since both Meridia and Molog Bal have been watching you, how can you acquire and use both their weapons ?

13: How does that currier find you so quickly and precisely?

14: Why doesn't Astrid ever recall sending 2-3 assassins out to get you?

15: If Sovengarde is outside of time, why don't you meet yourself as one of the heroes?

16: Why does Esburn openly say where the secret hideout of the blades is, especially in front of a Thalmore Mage (@ Truce meeting w/greybeards)?

OK someone elses turn now :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

1. Because weight acts more like how bulky the item is, hence being able to make armor that weighs more than it's materials.

2. There are other non-guard adventurers, you just need to check out some of the dungeons not associated with external quests.

3. Because Orcs don't know how to work Ebony, they obviously stopped leveling their Smithing perk tree at Orcish.

4. Because you're partially-melting the ingots down to shape armor pieces according to the current design standards.

5. Simple enough to check Brynjolf's dialouge in the CK

6. Because you're using both hands to stay afloat. (You're most likely wearing heavy armor)

7. Nope, she's not an item. And seeing as she's your bodyguard, you're her burden.

8. Maybe there's a weak string of magic connecting the bow and arrow?

9. Fermented Mammoth fat

10. It's For Science!

11. The Draugr

12. Meridia hates the undead, she's apathetic towards Molag.

13. There are multiple ones in various towns who follow you when you pass by.

14. Because for her it was just another contract.

15. Because you are there already, you are actually controlling your future dead self.

16. Because he is fairly confident that the Forsworn, traps and current Blades are more than enough to stop the Thalmor. And he knows they won't bother with removing a group dedicated to destroying dragons, not the Thalmor.

And now for my questions:

1. Why didn't Alduin attempt to resurrect Numinex from his remains in Dragonsreach?

2. Who was Mavern wanting the DB to kill?

3. Who is Xrib and why does he have a Dwemer-built temple in Sightless Pit?

According to Eslaf Erol and other lore writers;

Numinex's soul was absorbed by one of the Septim emperors who were Dragonborn and had the ability to kill Dragons permanently so Numinex cannot be resurrected. Regardless, Alduin would not have resurrected him even if possible as Numinex went mad during his confinement and would have been a detriment rather than a benefit to Alduin as he would have been uncontrollable.

Maven wants the DB to kill Brand-Shei who has been investigating Brynjolf and the Thieves Guild and causing some problems for Maven. The DB is unable to fulfil this contract as Brand-Shei is the last Tenvanni and was placed under the protection of Azura. Azura protects all those related to House Telvanni, and especially the last heir to the House, because of the services of Morian Zenas (a House Telvanni wizard). Some of the information on this is found in the book The Doors to Oblvion, including the wizards meeting and time with Azura. Azura is also enemies with Nocturnal - who is the deity of the Thieves Guild. However, the Dark Brotherhood is an extension of the Thieves Guild (see Sacred Witness) and Azura has placed Brand-Shei under protection and prevents any physical harm from being done to him. Thus, things done to Barand-Shei are limted to such things as trying to have Brand-Shei placed in jail, as seen in the questline for joining the Thieves Guild.

Xrib was a Dwemer engineer. The Dwemer did not worship any deity, they worshipped science and supposedly stole various Daedra artifacts and became immortal (see Nerevar at Red Mountain and The Battle of Red Mountain, and the Rise and Fall of the Tribunal). Xrib determined the means to generate energy that allowed the building of the Animunculi and for this achievement a temple to honor him and his science was built. Temples were actually schools of instruction, not places of worship.

1/ When did Mammoth's learn to fly?....Their not very good at it mind you, as they keep falling on my Dovahkins head.

2/ Children are resilient, especially so in Skyrim...maybe they should be the ones fighting Dragons...as the obviously lesser mortal armored adults succumb fast to a quick roasting.

3/ Speaking of Dragons, I'm highly impressed with the fire retardants used in Skyrim, only Alduin seems to be able to defeat the timber and thatch of the average home.

4/ Further note on those impressive fire retardants....the people of Skyrim wash their hair and clothes in it every day....battle a Dragon, not a singe in sight.

5/ How many skins does an animal wear?....Remove one and there's another underneath, can't seem to grab that second skin though.

6/ Dovahkin can run around equipped only in the clothes he was born in, yet he has at least a dozen sets of fur/hide armors and numerous weapons on his person somewhere...the question is where does he keep all this gear?.... o_O