Vortex not seeing NMM install.

Daemosdaen

Hrm, with these files in my system Vortex offers to import from

D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\Mods

or

D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\V-Mods

Are these options wrong or do they not appear for you at all?

Is it possible you're running NMM and Vortex with different user accounts? And you're certain you have activated Skyrim SE as the active game inside vortex when you try to import?

I checked the folder structure, the downloaded mods are in "D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\Mods" and they seem to be extracted to "D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\V-Mods" but both are there and NMM works.

As for my account, I only have DaemosDaen as a Nexus account and verified that both programs have the same account.

I have confirmed that SkyrimSE is the active game in Vortex as, while the other games have been found, I have not added them in. I have no issues re-starting Skyrim, the other games on the other hand.....

So, Vortex would expect to find user.config in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming in the lower folders, but there's EIGHTEEN of them on my system, which one would it pick?

All of them.

Vortex will parse all user.config files it can find, extract the mod folders and show all (unique) folders in a drop down list.

Now why exactly Vortex presents both the mod folder and the "virtual install folder" I'm not 100% sure. I can't remember putting this in, could be something DuskDweller coded.

I checked the folder structure, the downloaded mods are in "D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\Mods" and they seem to be extracted to "D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\SkyrimSE\V-Mods" but both are there and NMM works.

As for my account, I only have DaemosDaen as a Nexus account and verified that both programs have the same account.

I have confirmed that SkyrimSE is the active game in Vortex as, while the other games have been found, I have not added them in. I have no issues re-starting Skyrim, the other games on the other hand.....

Sorry for the confusion, I meant windows user account.

As in: C:\Users\<username>

the blue part there, is it the same username containing the NexusClient.exe_Url_xyz directories that also contains c:\users\<username>\Roaming\vortex

Also, are you using shared mode in settings->vortex? If so, could you please test if the import work if you switch to per-user mode? (You should be able to switch back later without losing anying)

So, Vortex would expect to find user.config in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming in the lower folders, but there's EIGHTEEN of them on my system, which one would it pick?

All of them.

Vortex will parse all user.config files it can find, extract the mod folders and show all (unique) folders in a drop down list.

Now why exactly Vortex presents both the mod folder and the "virtual install folder" I'm not 100% sure. I can't remember putting this in, could be something DuskDweller coded.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant windows user account.

As in: C:\Users\<username>

the blue part there, is it the same username containing the NexusClient.exe_Url_xyz directories that also contains c:\users\<username>\Roaming\vortex

Also, are you using shared mode in settings->vortex? If so, could you please test if the import work if you switch to per-user mode? (You should be able to switch back later without losing anying)

I switched to shared mode (which is the least optimal option) and the whole thing barfed, I actually can't use the program anymore as none of the games have a deployment option (No deployment Method Available.. Research shows this is due to me having my games installed on my second drive while my user folder is in the default location.

I was able to import the stuff from NMM though. (fixed one thing, broke several more)

Please keep in mind that I'm old enough to believe that Installing games/saving anything in the default Microsoft locations (user folder, program files, program data) is a bad idea (because it normally is) I know I'm not alone.

(Edit:)

I was able to switch back and the mods are there, but I don't know how broken the install is now.

Edited by Daemosdaen

• 7 months later...

Hi! I've had absolutely no luck as well with getting Vortex to find my NMM installation. After trying several different things to remedy the problem (I'm old(er) and grew up in a time where there were no courses, you just solved your own problems if you programmed) I copy&pasted the NMM folder to the Vortex folder. This created as many problems as it fixed so I'm back trying to figure out what went wrong. Everything worked perfectly before I upgraded to Vortex! (sob) and now I can't get back to playing Fallout 4 to relax...

Should I just erase everything, delete Vortex and NMM and start over from scratch with Vortex? My only problem with that is that Vortex is still in beta, and may still have some pretty serious growing pains to get through?

Hi! I've had absolutely no luck as well with getting Vortex to find my NMM installation. After trying several different things to remedy the problem (I'm old(er) and grew up in a time where there were no courses, you just solved your own problems if you programmed) I copy&pasted the NMM folder to the Vortex folder. This created as many problems as it fixed so I'm back trying to figure out what went wrong. Everything worked perfectly before I upgraded to Vortex! (sob) and now I can't get back to playing Fallout 4 to relax...

Should I just erase everything, delete Vortex and NMM and start over from scratch with Vortex? My only problem with that is that Vortex is still in beta, and may still have some pretty serious growing pains to get through?

Don't erase anything yet. Depending on your answers to the following questions, you may still be able to salvage your current setup.

1. What version of Vortex are you using?

2. Did you try to import from NMM using the "Import from NMM" option on the orange bar at the top of the Vortex mods page? (There's also an import button on the dashboard.)

3. Have you saved your NMM mods folder and download folder?

4. What did you copy and paste to Vortex from NMM? The download archives or the installed mods or both?

5. To what folder(s) did you copy in Vortex?

6. When setting up Vortex, what path did you use for the mod staging folder? What deployment method did you choose?

7. Is the mod staging folder on the same drive as the game?

8. When setting up Vortex, what path did you use for the download folder?

• 2 weeks later...

Vortex doesn't look for your NMM install location, it looks for the NMM configuration file (user.config) which should exist somewhere below C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming

That path is not customisable as far as I'm aware.

Vortex needs several pieces of information from that config file so there isn't really a point in offering a manual path selection, either Vortex can understand the file, then it will autodetect it or it doesn't (due to bug in NMM or Vortex) then it won't be able to import correctly anyway.

Could you guys try to identify the user.config for the NMM install you're currently using (there could be multiple under the path I posted above, check out the file time) and send it to me? Then I can try to find out why Vortex doesn't recognize it.

This is what I have

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming with nothing in it except another folder

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Black_Tree_Gaming\NexusClient.exe_Url_ii0tvskeg0pc6423ubyio2kue4j46tu0x (changed a couple of letters numbers in case that's a site key for me or something)

And inside THAT folder are folders

And inside EACH of those folders is a user.config file.

i found that deleting all but the current version of nmm did the trick

Just a quick note: I was having this problem as well. Literally nothing happened at all when clicking Import from NMM in the latest version of Vortex. Simply exiting and restarting seems to have solved the problem, though. The same behaviour re-manifested when switching back from Shared to Per-User, and the same solution worked.

• 2 months later...

Just in case this saves anyone with a similar problem:

I had a similar situation... I've been using NMM for a long time, so had tons of folders that had user.config files in there, so I thought I would limit the number of those that Vortex needed to look through/parse - and decided to 7zip those "extra" folders (for backup - just in case) - that 7z file exists inside/under the Black_Tree_Gaming\NexusClient.exe_<blah> with the same name as the folder --- simply having that 7z file there prevented Vortex from seeing the folder (singular) it should parse. Moving my backup 7z file to my desktop allowed Vortex to "detect" that NMM had a config it could parse so I no longer get the error messages that NO NMM INSTALL FOUND

Why does Vortex try to open the 7z file at all, since it isn't user.config, and isn't an actual sub-folder (it is a FILE) sitting under those folders --- could it in fact take EVERY FILE under those folders (no matter the name, extention or content, so if someone had a readme.txt or a "do not delete.txt" it would cause a failure) --- even if it isn't a valid NMM config file?

If you know it will be called specifically "user.config" --- why (attempt to?) parse every file?

Moral of the story --- make sure you only have 1 folder (if you have lots - to limit possibility of parse error) - and make sure you only have 1 "file" under that folder and no other files under any folder below this: %LocalAppData%\Black_Tree_Gaming\NexusClient.exe*