⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Unsolved File Conflicts

deadfred666

@bumrap:

I'm sorry that you see all our attempts to help as abusive. You see, we do that for free, too, in our free time. And many people use very strong language to complain, you don't expect everyone to stay civil if you're just been yelled at, do you?

The thing about modding is, that there ARE conflicts, and you HAVE to understand what's causing them. No modding tool will ever be able to automatically resolve them. They can only attempt to make it easier to deal with them.

NMM hides the conflict behind one dialog ('overwrite files?') which is a one-way street. That might look easier, but really is not. Hiding a problem is no way to resolve it. Both MO as well as Vortex do a much better job at this.

Since the plugin load order (which is something else than file conflicts) is handled automatically by Vortex, it's at least doing some of the magic you're expecting. That it cannot go all the way is just caused by the fact that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to resolve conflicts (which armor texture should be used, if you install two mods for the same armor?), and it just cannot read your mind.

If you ask cilivilly and friendly, you will get civil and friendly answers here from the community and the Vortex developers.

If you select "Conflicts with" as a rule, you are telling Vortex that you know there's a conflict but you don't choose to resolve it. Vortex will respect your choice and then let you get on with your game.

Ah! That makes sense, thank you. Though I probably would've called it "Ignore..." :laugh:

If you select "Conflicts with" as a rule, you are telling Vortex that you know there's a conflict but you don't choose to resolve it. Vortex will respect your choice and then let you get on with your game.

Edit: Here' an explanation that I offered in another thread. For those conflicts which aren't really conflicts, just select the rule "Conflicts with," save it, and deploy. You only have to do that for one member of a conflicting pair. Leave the other member set to "No rule." The Vortex message "There are unsolved file conflicts" will then change to "Some mod dependencies are not fulfilled." Then launch your game and start playing - Vortex won't stop you.

Uhm, what???

I don't agree with this explanation, since to me "conflicts with" means that if example mod A conflicts with mod B you can't have both A and B active at the same time since they're trying to modify the same things in-game. Example, a mod that turns all spiders in Skyrim into sheep and another mod that turns all spiders in Skyrim into cliff-racers would be incompatible with each-others since you can only use one of them.

I can't test at the moment, but I would expect Vortex to refuse to manually deploy if you've got one or more unresolved "conflicts with".

Uhm, what???

I don't agree with this explanation, since to me "conflicts with" means that if example mod A conflicts with mod B you can't have both A and B active at the same time since they're trying to modify the same things in-game. Example, a mod that turns all spiders in Skyrim into sheep and another mod that turns all spiders in Skyrim into cliff-racers would be incompatible with each-others since you can only use one of them.

I can't test at the moment, but I would expect Vortex to refuse to manually deploy if you've got one or more unresolved "conflicts with".

You can manually deploy with an unresolved "conflicts with." I tested that before posting my comments. Vortex obviously is not happy with such a decision, because it leaves the message "Some mod dependencies are not fulfilled - More." Though unhappy, Vortex still lets you launch your game.

The apparent reason for the "conflicts with" option is to allow you to postpone a conflict resolution without at the same time preventing you from launching your game.

The apparent reason for the "conflicts with" option is to allow you to postpone a conflict resolution without at the same time preventing you from launching your game.

Just tested in Vortex, if you drag a connection between two mods (even mods with no file-conflicts) the actual wording is "Can't be loaded together with…" but confusedly this is also called "Conflicts with…" afterwards.

It's clear the usage is the same, since by dragging between a mod with currently rule "load after…" to the other mod and selecting "Can't be loaded together with…", by clicking on the lightning-bolt this has now changed to "Conflicts with…".

So with "Conflicts with…" == "Can't be loaded together with…" at least the last wording is clear but granted the first isn't so good.

• 1 month later...