mod purge!

phillipjohnmc

i've got 200 mods, and my game play...well it's getting kind of sluggish. i want to get rid of as many mods as i don't absolutely need. can i just go through and delete mods in nmm, then start a new game? or should i also reinstall sse totally? like delete everything and reinstall fresh? i don't really want to do the later, as i have lods to go wtih mods that i'm definitely keeping.

i guess a good question here is...if you wanted to totally redo your mod list/get rid of unnecessary mods and start a new savegame, how would you do it?

If you're not trying to keep your saves, then re-installing SSE is a good thing.

If you don't want to do that, make sure you read each mod's description thoroughly for how to un-install it properly. Simply deleting mods will often leave behind things like scripts and call-out instructions that can often cause your game to continue to run sluggishly or even ctd. Since you've got that many mods, I really think that a full re-install of the game AND mods would be your best bet.

My question to you is, did you download the mods manually THEN installed them with NMM, or did you just click the "Download With Manger" button? (Actually, the button is now called "Mod Manager Download" -but it's the same thing.)

Starting a fresh game with manually downloaded mods makes them much easier to re-install in my opinion. Also, if the mod ever disappears from the Nexus, you've always got it available for re-installation no matter what.

try using mo2 for your next run. it lets you easily swap out the mods by seperating each individual mod into its seperate partition leaving your actual game in its original state. mo2 as opposed to nmm lets you also arrange the install order (simply by dragging one above or below) giving you more power while modding (since you aren't merely overwriting your files as the case of nmm)

And whichever mod manager you end up using, I strongly recommend manually downloading the mods. You can then copy them to a spare drive so if your current game drive ever nukes itself, you won't have to rebuild your mod library.

Honestly, I download manually all the time. I don't know what constitutes the files when you hit the download by manager button. Assuming they're the complete file, then yeah you should be able to simply copy them.

But, I'm probably missing some knowledge. So don't count on that. Can anyone else with more knowledge chime in please?

yes, more knowledge is always welcome :)

so i guess with nmm, you get a quick and easy install, but it installs mods in a way in which they leave a sort of permanent imprint on your game, potentially. b/c i've noticed that my game will lag every now and again, say, after i do dealings with merchants. it will lag for 3-4 minutes, then return to normal. i'm beginning to think that that's happening b/c some mod imbedded a script into the game somehow, even though i had uninstalled it, albeit through nmm, which has its limitations, as i'm learning

Just had another thought. Back when I used Steam Workshop mods along with manually downloaded Nexus files, I found that it was causing issues that slowed both my load times and my FPS. Some folks have reported the same issue when using Creation Club mods alongside their downloaded mods (whether using a mod manager or not.)

So if you are using both, I'd recommend against it.

i've only got nexus mods, plug-ins i've made through creation kit, and a couple of files or so from oldrim which fix a issue here and there and are otherwise compatible (e.g. one is a file that fixes missing textures in Applewatch when both Beyond Skyrim: Bruma and Beyond Reach are installed). no steam workshop mods (i didn't know there were any for skyrim), no creation club mods (no and never! lol)