The Last Word

lethielnyrond

Another idea. Does anyone else ever find it unsatisfying that after some character has said something really nice to you, all you can do is walk away silently? Does it seem that the Dragonborn is, basically, a rude and arrogant git?

It would be really nice (though I have no idea whether it would be workable) if, in conversations where the other character doesn't say something to round off the dialogue and take a graceful leave, the DB could have that option. The example that occurs to me (as having been most recent) is where Adril Arano has just basically given you, on his lord's behalf, a house full of loot. There's no option for the DB to say "thank you," or "it's a great honour," or "why are your houses all so funny-looking?" or indeed anything. You just have to tab out and go. That is not a graceful or heroic way to accept a gift or even a just reward. I feel Dovahkiin lets herself down there.

What do people think? What do experienced modders say? Can it be done, should it be done, and if not why not?

Lethiel

• 1 month later...

Honestly.. with the plethora of horrible stuff you can do in Skyrim and the very few good guy options, Id think that the Dragonborn wont be remembered as a good guy in the next Elder Scrolls (assuming we are moving forward in time for TES VI)

Hell likely be remembered as a necessary evil.

Edited by Barchetta3223

I don't know, nearly every NPC I come across seem to have superiority/trust/random douchebag issues which makes this mod all but useless to me. I mean a quick stroll (ie. no running around, just walking near vicinity of npcs) and I've received snarky remarks after snarky remarks, which gets exponentially worse when children npc are involved (see Dragon Reach).

That is to say, you would have to first deal with the issue of nearly every npc in skyrim being an absolute prick before moving onto this request.

see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnTamxbQN9I

Edited by 3aq

What you say is very true. Lots of people are rude and arrogant to the Dragonborn. Some people are rude and arrogant to me. I don't consider this absolves me of responsibility for my own good behaviour, so I try to be polite and good-tempered as a default condition, and only vary it when there is need. And I'm not any kind of hero, or chosen one, or special person.

That's just how I was taught to behave, and it saddens me that this basic decency and courtesy has been replaced by an attitude that says "well, when the rest of the world starts being nice to me, I'll start being nice to tnem." Because that, of course, when practised by everyone, is a recipe for the general breakdown of good communications between people, both here and in Tamriel.

Still, it was just a thought.

Lethiel

And, now I come to think of it, the way I play the Dragonborn very few people are rude or arrogant to me, unless I do something to deserve it, like kill their chickens or steal their books. Which is why my enforced rudeness to them struck me in the first place.

Lethiel

I don't know, nearly every NPC I come across seem to have superiority/trust/random douchebag issues which makes this mod all but useless to me. I mean a quick stroll (ie. no running around, just walking near vicinity of npcs) and I've received snarky remarks after snarky remarks, which gets exponentially worse when children npc are involved (see Dragon Reach).

That is to say, you would have to first deal with the issue of nearly every npc in skyrim being an absolute prick before moving onto this request.

see:

While this is somewhat true, the instances of such dialogue go down a good bit if you've never killed a chicken or cow, haven't stolen anything, don't break into homes, ***do all the random help-the-people quests***, give booze and/or gold to the beggars on a frequent basis, and ***don't get thrown in jail all the time***. I suspect not intimidating people and possibly not doing dirty deeds like bribing guards to ignore crimes might figure in too. It should go without saying that refraining from the murder of local citizenry is a great help as well.

I fully agree that Skyrim starts you out at a rather nasty faction level with everyone, but Skyrim is full of xenophobic racists who can't help but see your magic-laden arrival as "one more problem probably related to the filthy Thalmar," so it makes a certain sense. It helps to remember that even if you're a Nord by blood, you start the game as someone ostensibly NOT from (or even very familiar with) Skyrim. Whatever your RPG backstory is, it should include NOT being born in Skyrim (or at least not growing up there), nor should there be much expectation for the growing zenophobic bigotry of Skryim not to pour out all over your "stranger not from around here" character ;)

Trust and respect are precious commodities to be earned. I never understand why people think they are due either as a matter of course, but *courtesy* is another separate thing entirely. The liberal application of courteous behavior is the lubrication that greases the wheels on the faction meters for trust and respect. Withholding it makes everything in life work exactly as smoothly as any engine lacking oil :P

What you say is very true. Lots of people are rude and arrogant to the Dragonborn. Some people are rude and arrogant to me. I don't consider this absolves me of responsibility for my own good behaviour, so I try to be polite and good-tempered as a default condition, and only vary it when there is need. And I'm not any kind of hero, or chosen one, or special person.

That's just how I was taught to behave, and it saddens me that this basic decency and courtesy has been replaced by an attitude that says "well, when the rest of the world starts being nice to me, I'll start being nice to tnem." Because that, of course, when practised by everyone, is a recipe for the general breakdown of good communications between people, both here and in Tamriel.

Still, it was just a thought.

Lethiel

Are you old enough to remember the song "On the Turning Away" by Pink Floyd (I can't believe I had to type that, I feel so old now!) - this quote reminds me of that song.

The slow societal-death-by-logic-gate-application-of-courtesy is why a certain Person of very little acknowledged Import once rather directly explained to everyone that we really are best off to behave as you describe, whether or not others do so, and to make an *additional* effort to do so with strangers and most especially enemies who are actively refusing to engage in such behavior themselves. Be the engineer that greases the engine.

Alas....Nobody listened to Him either...and here we are...

----

I am woefully unqualified to even attempt this mod. Since it involves being able to change your character to say something to potentially any NPC in the whole game, I suspect there's a rather large pile of work behind it. But it sounds like a nifty idea, so if you can wait the year it will probably take me to learn how to actually script in Python, I'll give it a whirl, as it sounds like the kind of mod that would be nice to have on hand....and I *hope* you and I are not alone in such thoughts.

In the meantime, I have contacted the author of Oldrim mod# 51469 "Immersive Player Dialogue," to see if he will consent to allow me to port his mod to SkyrimSE. I can't promise that I can actually make the mod *work* (I just started messing around with modding at the end of last month)...but it's worth a shot. I don't think it gets you what you want, but it seems to get a wee step closer, and it gives me something look at to help learn about how dialogue in the game even "works."

I have also taken the liberty of asking him what would be involved in adding a few kind responses to the player's general options for all NPCs, as per your suggestion, and linked him this conversation, in case he'd be interested enough to fulfill the mod request himself.

I just don't know enough to have any idea what level of actual work is required here. If it's as simple as giving the Player a single "It would be my honor" dialogue option that you can just insert into the end of any/all conversations, then that would be relatively easy. If it requires editing some kind of dialogue pool for every single npc in the game....well...*I'd* be crazy enough to take that on once I learn *how* ... but I don't know if many others would ;) Either way....let's drop this pebble in the pool and see what happens.

Have a wonderful day,

Vashra1

And...it never occurred to the poster of that video...from a role play standpoint....that the person who initiated the contract to have you killed over the theft of a single potion might not use their own identity?!?

Now I want to write a quest mod that creates a whole line of detective quests to ferret out the "actual contractor" who was so base and vile as to frame a child for an attempted assassination.

I gotta learn to like...code and stuff. Blarg.