Looking for some advice on my first PC...

TheFirebird

For anyone interested- i like this build a lot.

Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor

be quiet! - Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

Asus MX239H 23" IPS HD LED-backlit LCD Monitor

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, really? I was planning to get another stick at some point anyway, but didn't realise that it required two to actually be DDR... Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if that could be what's preventing it turning on?

Probably not. It should run fine with only one stick of ram. (unless that stick is bad......)

Does it do anything at all when you push the button?

Nothing at all happens when I push the button, might as well be poking a blank spot on a wall. I've just heard from the shop I took it to, they've decided that either the motherboard or the CPU is bad. They're going to strip it down to test it tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then. At least I know it wasn't that I'd done something stupid! I'm hoping it won't be too much of a hassle to get a replacement for whatever part is faulty...

Update: Both the CPU and the motherboard are dead!! I'm assuming right now that I'm the unluckiest person on the planet. :confused:

On the plus side though, the people at the PC shop I took it to said that I'd built it very well and it was a professional looking job. :teehee: They also don't see how it could be anything that I've done wrong to cause this, so I guess I'm just really unlucky! Has this ever happened to anyone else? Let me know so I feel slightly less bad about being me!

Guess I'll start the RMA process...

If you subscribe to either PCGamer or MaximumPC (no I don't work for them) they have adds from some of the better Gaming Computer Mfgs. One is CyberpowerPC and they produce some very good PC's In fact I am playing on one that I bought from them. As to the UK? I don't know. Look for these Magazines and see who advertises in them for Computer gaming rigs. That would be your best bet I think.

Also, those mags (expecially MaximumPC) have articles on how to build rigs and troubleshooting. I have found their articles very informative. The PCGamer has a list of 3 builds each month with the parts listed and give you an idea on what components to use. This is not to say that you don't know what your doing, I do not mean that at all. But the best way to learn is from those with the knowledge.

Hope this helps you.

The fact that the CPU is dead is very unlikely, if there is one component that can take a bit of rough handling its the CPU.

I've ordered quite a lot of CPU's from China and never received a bad one.

You might well be right about this... I'm going to call up in the morning and check what motherboard they've tested it with, and if my suspicions are correct, it might not be the CPU that's bad... I'll post again tomorrow!

Sometimes it is difficult to tell a cpu failure, from a system board failure..... where I work, if one or the other fails, we prefer to replace both, so, if the problem was actually caused by the 'other' component, we don't end up back in the same boat again.

I have had dead system boards right out the box, it's rare, but, it happens.

CyberPower has decent prices, but I've heard... unflattering things about their customer support.

I went with Digital Storm for my custom build of their Slade model. (I wanted dead quiet.)

Been very happy with their work. (Plus, how can you not go with awesome?!? :laugh: )