switching from NMM to MO2

phillipjohnmc

my plan of attack is: to pare down my mod list to lose some mods that i'm not crazy about, get rid of NMM, delete and reinstall vanilla game/dlc, re-install mods thru MO2, start new game. this is to have a smoother playthrough, i hope. my first two playthroughs with NMM and around 200 mods...well, problematic at times, and i felt like i had to spend a lot of time troubleshooting, only to have new problems arise. now that i'm familiar with mods and know which ones i want, i want to try it out with MO2.

what does anyone think about this plan? and is MO2 is a better way to go, if you're using a lot of mods? i'll still be using about 130 mods.

If you uninstall all the mods you have in NMM, you may not need to re-install. It doesn't hurt. If you want to use the same mods, go to NMM's mod folder and move them somewhere handy and you can import them easily into MO2 with the "import from file" button on the top bar. When you do uninstall NMM, i suggest using CCleaner to remove any leftover files after you grab the mods you want to reduce the chance of it misbehaving when you install it again as it can be fickle.

Another note: Install MO2 on the same drive you install the game, it's more stable and more fast that way.

Regardless MO2 is more stable, and it's multiple profile setup works amazing if you want different sets of mods for different characters, so you can for example, not have magic and stealth mods clogging up your game if you are playing as a fighter. I typically have 3 Profiles: Magic, Fighter, and Stealth.

Edited by chardock

I do not know about MO2 as I have never used ti. However I have used MO, which I imagine is about the same and anything applying to MO should apply to MO2.

A couple of things to consider. While MO is considered to be a better organizer than NMM at the moment mainly because of the way it stores mods it also has a higher learning curve than NMM. If you are going to switch to MO2 you would do well to look up some guides and read them thoroughly. Also the driving force behind MO, Tanin, is no longer associated with the program but for over a year now has been helping develop Nexus's successor to NMM, Vortex. As Vortex is out in Alpha now and hopefully the Beta version is not far behind you may want to wait on this.

Which organizer you choose is up to you, both work well for the purpose they were developed for and with a little bit of work MO is a very good program that a lot of oldrim and SSE players swear by.

MO2 also just to note, tends to hang less when installing very large files. NMM still sometimes hangs hard or crashes when using very large texture overhauls for example.

Long story short:
NMM: Easier to learn, and doesn't require any extra launcher setups (For SKSE64 etc)
MO2: More stable and more clean, but requires a couple more steps.

You could just wait for Vortex, it's being made by the guy who made MO2.

Edited by chardock

thanks for the tips. yeah i've got my mod zip files from nmm copied over to a seperate folder where i'm choosing the ones i want and the ones i might drop.

i'm watching video guides for mo2. yeah, it's more involved but i'm hoping it's worth it to switch for game stability and performance.

i was advised to re-install the game after switching away from nmm b/c nmm might leave scripts in the vanilla game (i think that's why i was advised to re-install, or some similar reason. nmm leaves leftovers in places. does that make sense? i'm not completely sure of the how, what or why on that)

or rather than re-install, what about just verifying game cache? that's something i've done before anyway (then re-cleaned with xedit)

any idea how much longer for vortex?

Edited by phillipjohnmc

I would not think you have to reinstall SSE after uninstalling NMM. Probably you should just validate your master files.

Do this by deleting your ini files in Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition, might as well delete your saves while you are at it as you are undoubtedly going to start a new game. Delete the appcache in Steam then shut your computer down. After ten or so minutes start your computer and verify your game files. Then launch the game from the Steam launcher, this will create the appcache and the ini files you deleted. You will have to clean the Update and DLC files again but after that you should be good to go.

No idea when the Beta version of Voretx will be out; hopefully within a month or two.

thanks for the tips. yeah i've got my mod zip files from nmm copied over to a seperate folder where i'm choosing the ones i want and the ones i might drop.

i'm watching video guides for mo2. yeah, it's more involved but i'm hoping it's worth it to switch for game stability and performance.

i was advised to re-install the game after switching away from nmm b/c nmm might leave scripts in the vanilla game (i think that's why i was advised to re-install, or some similar reason. nmm leaves leftovers in places. does that make sense? i'm not completely sure of the how, what or why on that)

or rather than re-install, what about just verifying game cache? that's something i've done before anyway (then re-cleaned with xedit)

any idea how much longer for vortex?

Well, Vortex is available in Alpha State and I am running Skyrim with 100 mods and not problems so far !!

I do not have any experience with MO at all. NMM is easy to use but Vortex is far superior than NMM. The way NMM and Vortex works is different though. Once you deal with Vortex dependencies and get used to, your game will be fine and just because Vortex is in Alpha does not means it is crashing your game. When it will jump to Beta ? Nobody knows for sure; it could take weeks or months but right now it is working fine. I have not heard any complaints about Vortex crashing games or anything of the like.