Just curiosity - who's got the biggest?

Charlinho

Every now and then I have to clear my hard disk of savegames and noticed that of all my games, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Vegas, Fallout 3 has by far the biggest file size.

Oblivion is the most heavily modded game and has only about 10mb per save whereas Fallout 3 has 31mb. I don't think it's a bloat because file sizes remain

the same unless I add more mods. In Fallout 3 I put it down to my RTS mod or maybe the stacked containers with loot that I can't sell

coz traders have no caps.

I'm curious to know how the file size compares to others, whether it's standard or crazy.

Well, I've got 5 savegames around at all times. One is 10.3 MB. The other 4 are all 11.9 MB. (added a couple of mods in the time between the 10.3 one and the others)

I also have a vanilla savegame (courtesy of LHammonds) which is at vault 101 entrance. 1.31 MB in file size.

• 2 weeks later...

On one of my characters post Broken Steel and all DLC completed except Mothership Zeta her save file is 11,413 MB with around 130 mods. Her save at Vault 101 exit was 1,855 MB but I carry a lot of crap out of the vault to sell.

My current file before Broken Steel with only Operation Anchorage completed and around 130 mods is 6,506 MB. His Vault 101 exit save was 1,927 MB. He also carried a lot of junk out of the vault.

Thanks for making this post because I was wondering if my Fallout 3 saves were bloated because an advanced file with more mods that I am currently playing in Oblivion has an .ess save file of only 4,038 MB and an OBSE save file of 37 KB. Now I know my Fallout 3 saves are about average.

Edited by ReALty

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten far enough into the game to get a really big save game file size. The furthest I've gone is after certain events conspire in Jefferson Memorial (no spoilers here heheh). I've done very early parts of some of the DLCs but not all of them yet. The biggest file size I've seen so far in my most advanced game is only about 7 MB or so.

I think my save game file sizes stay rather small partly because I have a very fast respawn rate for areas (1 hour to respawn, timescale is 1:2). I noticed that after my character sleeps at night in a town, the new save the next morning shrinks back down again. I also don't really "collect" stuff, so the game doesn't have to store that much info in that aspect.