Minecraft

DarthNato

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a Minecraft Nexus

For anyone also interested, I highly recommend the Technic Pack. I've been playing the Tekkit mod compilation, and it's really amazing. Adds so much more to the game that I can't imagine going back to vanilla MC.

wow that makes me cridge, but for different reason if you are curious look up foresty and Tekkit, I really suggest installing the mods in that pack yourself

but thats all I will say on that

Never really liked the whole "mod pack" stuff. Often there is one or two good mods, and a bunch of other mods that you really couldn't care much about. Instead what I look for are compatible mods which add something that another mod doesn't really address or which adds another level onto the game. For example, EE pretty much does away with a need for a tree farm once you get some machines, so timber and forestry would be a bit redundant and only end up giving me even more energy per tick (at a cost of just setting up EE's condensers and some Buildcraft pipe). Most things in IC2 or similar are used just for the sake of making IC2 machines that essentially do the same thing as BC machines or to make what EE already makes. So it becomes essentially 1 mod which accomplishes the same result of 2 or 3 other mods. Although the criticism of EE is that you're making diamonds from air, that is essentially what you end up doing with IC2 once you have enough machines and materials. Time wise, the route to diamonds is still about the same. The difference is that EE has this whole other level that happens after that point adding new abilities and such while otherwise you're just making more machines to make more machines.

For me, EE covers core production and storage. BC covers piping, sorting, and some extra help early on with collecting. Millenaire to have some eventual goal to work toward. Zeppelin for transportation. Thaumcraft for flavoring the world (taint, crystals, wisps, symbols, ect). Elemental Creepers to get around needs for Nether glowstone hunting and more variety in opponents. Mo's Creatures for additional spawn variety. With this, early stages are challenging and require some adaptation, while later stages have me basically killing and shaping the world however I want. That's pretty much how I've always played Minecraft since Alpha.

• 2 weeks later...

Never really liked the whole "mod pack" stuff. Often there is one or two good mods, and a bunch of other mods that you really couldn't care much about. Instead what I look for are compatible mods which add something that another mod doesn't really address or which adds another level onto the game. For example, EE pretty much does away with a need for a tree farm once you get some machines, so timber and forestry would be a bit redundant and only end up giving me even more energy per tick (at a cost of just setting up EE's condensers and some Buildcraft pipe). Most things in IC2 or similar are used just for the sake of making IC2 machines that essentially do the same thing as BC machines or to make what EE already makes. So it becomes essentially 1 mod which accomplishes the same result of 2 or 3 other mods. Although the criticism of EE is that you're making diamonds from air, that is essentially what you end up doing with IC2 once you have enough machines and materials. Time wise, the route to diamonds is still about the same. The difference is that EE has this whole other level that happens after that point adding new abilities and such while otherwise you're just making more machines to make more machines.

For me, EE covers core production and storage. BC covers piping, sorting, and some extra help early on with collecting. Millenaire to have some eventual goal to work toward. Zeppelin for transportation. Thaumcraft for flavoring the world (taint, crystals, wisps, symbols, ect). Elemental Creepers to get around needs for Nether glowstone hunting and more variety in opponents. Mo's Creatures for additional spawn variety. With this, early stages are challenging and require some adaptation, while later stages have me basically killing and shaping the world however I want. That's pretty much how I've always played Minecraft since Alpha.

I don't really like mod packs either, far too many people are making them too. All to often do I see people asking mod authors whether they can add it to a mod pack.

Hopefully with the upcoming mod support updates they will make mod packs a thing of the past... I hope :D

I like a lot of variety in my mods that add to the game, rather than speeding things up or doing similar things to other mods.

I don't really like mod packs either, far too many people are making them too. All to often do I see people asking mod authors whether they can add it to a mod pack.

Hopefully with the upcoming mod support updates they will make mod packs a thing of the past... I hope :D

I like a lot of variety in my mods that add to the game, rather than speeding things up or doing similar things to other mods.

I can see the point in some, like Yogsbox since it has a few dozen mods and its own special settings file to negotiate conflicts. I can also see how people who don't even know how to browse folders or open a .rar could have trouble installing some mods that require dropping parts of an archive various places to make the mod work; who might need to have a mostly prepared mod and settings folder. But yeah, many of them have been mostly just people trying to get some mark of fame just for compiling mods together.

Personally I like spending the time trying to see what mods work together well that aren't part of the usual set. For example my current world I'm working on is using a biosphere world generation (same guy who made modloader) with Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, and most of the ones already mentioned. So far I'm kinda liking the situation since it's like a less restricted Skyblock, has a reasonable variety, and when I feel like making a new world to play with I can just export the whole sphere that I'm using as a base and drop it above the ocean somewhere so that I can continue to make use of what I've already built. I'll probably start looking to integrate redpower and some sort of dungeon mod in my next world, so that I have some new toys to play with. I need to get my sky base pimped out first though, working on hollowing out most of the bottom hemisphere for airship docking, then I'll have to dress it up some while making room for a larger farming operation.