Minecraft

DarthNato

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a Minecraft Nexus

I've been playing a lot of minecraft lately and have discovered the joys of modding minecraft. There are plenty of different mods ranging from basic texture packs, to weapon and armor mods, world generation types, additional mining implimentation such as BuildCraft, and different biomes to explore. I've probaly missed a few things, but i'm sure you get the point. It's a great game, but a lot of mod updates that are essential to continue playing a world after a major update are scattered all over the place. A site where they could all be placed and updated in a neat and orderly fashion is just what it needs. I hope that this is taken into consideration as this is also another great avanue for modding. So, Please vote and let me know what you think.

I don’t see it happening sorry, the way the nexus works would cut out a lot of modders, a large amount of moders use ad.ly or what ever that is called, this wont work with the nexus I believe

The minecraft forums is already accepted as the place to get mods, with it running I doubt many will look around for another site hosting minecraft mods

And major mods have their own forums and websites where they post their updates

so with all this it would make a minecraft nexus redundant

Not trying to ruin your day just didn’t know if you noticed these

Aye, Dark0ne has been through this on more than one occasion.

Back when Minecraft was in it's infancy, me and many others requested for one. (This was before Minecraftforums was the largest place to go to and there wasn't really a dedicated place to post any content for it).

Because the game was buggy at the time, it was decided that the game just isn't ready. That and it was lacking an SDK or Mod API.

Then the Minecraftforums boomed, the game boomed and basically everyone that knows about Minecraft has played it.

The largest communities are Minecraftforums and PlanetMinecraft.

Both cater for everything Minecraft, from maps, to texture packs and even mods.

The community shuns other websites dedicated to Minecraft basically because they see no need for it.

It wouldn't really benefit anyone, especially not Dark0ne who would be the one putting money into setting it up.

As nice as it would be under different circumstances, I definitely wouldn't welcome it now.

And I'm one of the admin's to the Unofficial Nexus Minecraft Server (Been active over a year and a half!)

I'm with Lostone and Hector on this one.

and I definitely mirror what Lostone said.

I haven't posted this to ruin your day at all, because I actually would like to see it

The largest communities are Minecraftforums and PlanetMinecraft.

Both cater for everything Minecraft, from maps, to texture packs and even mods.

The community shuns other websites dedicated to Minecraft basically because they see no need for it.

Except that finding mods through the forums is an absolute pain in the ass even if you have the specific name of a mod. Curse's site is even more useless for anything other than basic server mods due to poor categories, bad maintainance, and an abundance of extra useless ore mods that do the same darn thing.

Didn't check out PlanetMinecraft, but I would imagine that finding things there would be a nightmare too given that it isn't popular (didn't know about it until now).

As almost every mod I've downloaded from the forums has come from a mediafire link or similar, if there wasn't a site devoted to that one mod, I'm guessing that none of those other "hosts" are really doing very well in that role. Higher profile mods seem to be entirely based on either the forums, or their own sites. The real lack of support on this end is bad enough that Mojang has even mentioned that they are planning to take time to get a better system made.

Not saying that we will ever see a Minecraft Nexus... But there is a rather clear need for something better than what is out there.

I agree with Vagrant. Finding mods is hard enough, but trying to keep your mods up to date with the current system of distribution? Nightmare. I haven't really delved that far into Minecraft modding yet, simply because it's such a chore to always find the mods.

I definitely agree with you there,

They're awful places to actually find mods.

I never once said that they're any good, just that they're the largest communities and is where most players are.

You can go through pages upon pages of mods and then you have to check through them all again for the sake of browsing just because some of the ones you haven't seen yet got a reply so they're bumped to the top.

Also another point I forgot to add...

Updates.

Yes, those lovely things that break practically all of the mods that are posted here.

Can you imagine the mess the nexus would become each time an update comes out?

"Such and such a mod doesn't work with 1.3.7! UPDATE NOW!"

That plus the fact that some modders won't update due to leaving the scene, that will leave a lot of dead pages.

It's not so bad with other games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim because the mods will still work regardless.

I think I'm getting a headache http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/psyduck.gif

Ironically, just now I'm looking for a mod I played a few months back. It wasn't Millenere, but it was similar. It also gave you the option for building NPC villages and having the NPCs adopt different jobs, like builders, hunters, miners, farmers etc. Anybody perhaps know the name, as I can't for the life of me remember it.

Ironically, just now I'm looking for a mod I played a few months back. It wasn't Millenere, but it was similar. It also gave you the option for building NPC villages and having the NPCs adopt different jobs, like builders, hunters, miners, farmers etc. Anybody perhaps know the name, as I can't for the life of me remember it.

The only mod that comes to mind was a pigman mod, it changed villagers to pigmen (What villagers were supposed to be) and gave the villagers jobs. Also gave them better AI with the ability to talk to them.

However it wasn't updated since 1.8 or 1.0.0 :/

So I deleted it, doubt it was what you're thinking about though.

The real lack of support on this end is bad enough that Mojang has even mentioned that they are planning to take time to get a better system made.

Who do you think they're partnering with to do that? :rolleyes:

(edit: it's not me)